Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
How to Set-Up Pseudo-Parental Control on Kobo Devices?

Okay...so I haven't really planned the parental control thing very well...

I've been purchasing e-books on my Kobo account for a few years now. About a year and a half ago when I got my new Vox, I started buying kids books in my own library for my kids (some interactive Vox-only books, and some regular books). I would let my kids borrow my Kobo Wi-Fi or Vox to read the book, but then they'd give it back to me.

My son is almost 10 years old and loves to read. I've since given him my old Vox (since I now have a Samsung tablet and don't really use my Vox anymore), but my Kobo library has some, shall we say, inappropriate books and titles that should be removed from the device. I don't want to post this question on the Vox forum, because my son also sometimes reads on my Kobo Wifi, so I need to consider both.

I have had several thoughts and questions on this topic, but maybe someone that has been through this can provide some insight?

1. I can create a separate account for my son. Sure, this is easiest - and I may do this, but it doesn't allow us to share devices (still want to share the Kobo Wifi). Problem could be solved if I gave him both devices, but can I transfer some of his old books from my account to his account? This is the biggest obstacle here...

2. I can remove age-inappropriate books/covers from my Kobo library on the website. Can I archive them or put them in a spot that would exclude them from the automatic library update?

3. Is there a way to restrict the library update on the Vox without turning the WiFi?

4. Can I hide books in my library on a certain device?

5. Can I password protect store purchases via the device using WiFi (since my credit card is connected on my account)?

Looking forward to any ideas you can share! Thanks!

Last edited by pokee; 04-12-2013 at 04:43 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I'm not sure if this will do everything you want, but you could get a new Kobo account for your son, put it on one of the devices, but authorize the ADE on that device to your account. Then sideload the books that you want to share. You can elect to not put a credit card on your son's account, and only buy books using PayPal for him. Doesn't solve the device-sharing problem though.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
1. I can create a separate account for my son. Sure, this is easiest - and I may do this, but it doesn't allow us to share devices (still want to share the Kobo Wifi). Problem could be solved if I gave him both devices, but can I transfer some of his old books from my account to his account? This is the biggest obstacle here...

5. Can I password protect store purchases via the device using WiFi (since my credit card is connected on my account)?
You would have to talk to Kobo about this. I think they would do it for you, especially as you will be transferring a particular type of book. Don't save any credit card details on the new account and you son can't buy any book. To get new books for him, you can buy them with your account and send them to his account as gifts.
[/QUOTE]
2. I can remove age-inappropriate books/covers from my Kobo library on the website. Can I archive them or put them in a spot that would exclude them from the automatic library update?
[/QUOTE]
I don't have a Vox to check this, but the following is how the Touch and Glo work. From discussions here, I think the Vox and the apps to work the same. Hopefully the WiFi does as well.

If you look in the library on the Kobo site, there are three list for your books: "I'm Reading", "Purchased" and "Trash". Anything in "I'm Reading" is on the device, or will be put there at the next sync. On the site, you can delete a book and it will go to the Trash. From there it can be restored or removed permanently. And when you next sync, it will be deleted from the device. Once the book is on a device, you can delete it from the device. At the next sync, it will be removed from the "I'm Reading" list but will still be in the "Purchased" list.

I think the way I would approach this is to use the desktop application. That will download any new books into its library. When you delete the book from the application library, it will be removed from the devices at the next sync. The Kobo Android app might work for this as well, but I don't have an Android device to try it.

For the books that are age-appropriate for you, I would download the the epub version and sideload them to your tablet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may get my son his own account and ask Kobo to transfer his books over. Removing books from my account and sideloading them sounds like waaay too much work! Plus, it will be good to have his account set-up with no credit card, as well. Thanks again!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote