Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Asus Eee Slate has pretty impressive HWR + Equation Editor

Just stumbled across a video showing off a feature I would have a lot of use for and that is an equation editor as well as HWR that seems to work. Here is the YouTube video showing it off.

A shame it has such a dismal battery life though about 4 hours is not bad for a 12" screen with a touch interface. Definitely in my very best watch list. Generally speaking I have yet to read a truly negative review on the Eee Slate. I'm not an early adopter sort of person so we'll see where it stands at the end of this year. But if I need a very robust device that also would serve as a reader for my work needs, I would probably by it now.

I was just really impressed by the equation editor and thought I would share it as I imagine there are a lot of people in math oriented professions as well as students here on Mobileread.

Darn I forgot to use the multi-language feature to the thread title. That too looks to be pretty well done. It's shown in the same video.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Considering it is more of a laptop in a slate tablet form, 5 hours isn't bad. My 10" netbook got 2 hours when new, and my 12" tabletpc got about 3 hours when new.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
yeah that was my take on the battery life as well. As I mentioned the 12" display and the digitize yet still getting about 4hrs with a very small battery, I recall the battery is only one-cell it might be three but honestly I do not remember clearly and am too lazy to look as I am posting from the, ahem, "reading room".

Personally I like the device. It is the closest to meet my needs as a reader and a tool to increase my workflow. I've always used laptops but anymore they are just too awkward to my needs today so I have been hunting a slate device for a few years now. Until this Eee Slate I haven't found any of the tablet PC's particularly attractive as I want a reader AND medium-light duty general computing device. This Eee Slate really seems to address those needs. The price is about $300 more than I had hoped to spend but that won't influence my decision as I do have a moderatly pressing need.

I love that with this you can run all the reader software and all my work related apps save Lightroom 3.x which can hit your hardware far harder than even Photoshop if you use the adjustment tools. I might be able to run it to do simple work on images but I would eventually need to finish them on a more powerful PC. Still that is OK.

I just wish they had shoehorned a larger battery into it. but space is a premium and there will hopefully be a new version in short order. So we'll see.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
A pity about the battery life because my Asus netbook gets about 7.5 hours. Perhaps that is the trade-off - a slim shape or chunky batteries!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer vs iPad 2 by our local tech store guru. (about 15 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rm8NQAib-A

*edit*

My apologies, this looks to be a different beast than the video in the first post.

I have reposted here, to the Asus Eee Pad Transformer end of April? thread in the Android Devices forum.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-23-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Redirected to right thread
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eee, ep121, pdf reader, slate, tablet