Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
dcpyke
dcpyke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Looking for an ebook device I saw last year

Hi,

I can't remember the name but it was a designed specifically as an ebook device. It is not any of the ones with their own thread in the forum. The device came in two versions a wired and a wireless with the wireless going for about I think $500+US. The company had their own website where it could be purchased directly. At the time it was a little too expensive but I was hoping it's become cheaper, however now I can't find it listed anywhere. The thing is since I can't remember the company name, searching under ebook device does not help. Does anyone know the reader I am referring to? thanks
dcpyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpyke View Post
Hi,

I can't remember the name but it was a designed specifically as an ebook device. It is not any of the ones with their own thread in the forum. The device came in two versions a wired and a wireless with the wireless going for about I think $500+US. The company had their own website where it could be purchased directly. At the time it was a little too expensive but I was hoping it's become cheaper, however now I can't find it listed anywhere. The thing is since I can't remember the company name, searching under ebook device does not help. Does anyone know the reader I am referring to? thanks
I think it was the lcd Cybook from Bookeen which is not sold anymore; instead they have the eink cybook.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
dcpyke
dcpyke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks

I thought I was wrong because I went to their webpage and they just mention the new version coming out. I got some info on the older version though and the specs seem about right. Thanks for your help - it was just bugging me that I couldn't think of the name for it.
dcpyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have one. A very good bookreader - the only real problem with it was the very short battery life (around 4h at most).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have one. A very good bookreader - the only real problem with it was the very short battery life (around 4h at most).
4h would not do at all. Just flying to Scotland last year would have killed the battery before we got there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4h would not do at all. Just flying to Scotland last year would have killed the battery before we got there.
I guess battery time is a variable that depends on the user. My 770 usually lasts about 3-4 hrs, but I have a charger in the car and one in my office so I do not care. Also it has a cheap standard Nokia battery, so if really needed it's trivial to get a backup. My problem with the Cybook 2 was that it was too heavy and pricey. I thought of getting one, but I decided a tablet was a much better deal..

The e-ink one, well nothing new compared to the Sony so I see no point in buying it...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I guess battery time is a variable that depends on the user. My 770 usually lasts about 3-4 hrs, but I have a charger in the car and one in my office so I do not care. Also it has a cheap standard Nokia battery, so if really needed it's trivial to get a backup. My problem with the Cybook 2 was that it was too heavy and pricey. I thought of getting one, but I decided a tablet was a much better deal..

The e-ink one, well nothing new compared to the Sony so I see no point in buying it...
Battery life is one of the reasons I did purchase the Sony. My cell phone has a good battery, but still not good enough to use for reading.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Battery life is one of the reasons I did purchase the Sony. My cell phone has a good battery, but still not good enough to use for reading.
Cell phone has good battery life because it is on stand-by mode most of the time. If you use it to read, it won't last any longer than a general PDA, a few hours maximum.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
Cell phone has good battery life because it is on stand-by mode most of the time. If you use it to read, it won't last any longer than a general PDA, a few hours maximum.
Very true. Plus the screen is just way too small. The Sony is a good mix of screen size and battery life to give me a good reading experience.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It does, however, have a replacable battery, so I always used to take along a spare charged battery for long trips, such as a transatlantic flight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote