Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 07:32 PM   #31
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Consider the page shows: "SLEEPCOVER" as part of the description for those listed items, how do I read that as the colour of the ereader itself anymore than placing a Clara HD in a blue or rose red sleepcover affects the colour of the Clara HD.

I am just thinking wishfully
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #32
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Forma, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
If this is indeed the next Clara then this is what is listed

And it seems there will be four color variants if these cases will be representative of actual colorways of the device: https://www.itnest.com.au/hardware/s...bo+506#results

-Black
-Sea Green
-Ocean Blue
-Coral Reef

Looking at those Sleepcover listings, one is described as basic and is at a lower price point, and seems to be defined by "O" in the product code (One? Ordinary?); the 3 other, more expensive Sleepcovers seem to be defined by an "E" in the product code, which compliments the name Clara 2E, and here I'm thinking that it might be a sleepcover that pulls on and extends the device's screen.

It will probably be something terribly mundane, but I love the idea of a pocket-shaped device that expands when you open it. Mobius screen on a sprung roll?
RowdyRuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRuff View Post
Looking at those Sleepcover listings, one is described as basic and is at a lower price point, and seems to be defined by "O" in the product code (One? Ordinary?); the 3 other, more expensive Sleepcovers seem to be defined by an "E" in the product code, which compliments the name Clara 2E, and here I'm thinking that it might be a sleepcover that pulls on and extends the device's screen.

It will probably be something terribly mundane, but I love the idea of a pocket-shaped device that expands when you open it. Mobius screen on a sprung roll?
All of that for an extra 6 bucks? Seems unlikely to me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:32 AM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRuff View Post

That's a big extension of the letter E. If I was to guess blindly, I think it's more likely to be one which folds into a stand vs one that doesn't.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #35
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They have done the same with the Libra 2. There is also a "basic Sleepcover" and an origami "Sleepcover", which are basically the same, except for the folding mechanism.

Also keep in mind, the developers are usually reserving "new" features for their latest premium line-up. So whatever Kobo is working on right now, will be implemented with the next Elipsa (or the next Sage, should they drop the Elipsa.)

So if this does turn out to be a successor to the Clara HD, it will most likely be "just" an update with stuff we have seen on other Kobos recently. (USB-C, Bluetooth, Audiobooks, more storage, 4-core Processor, Carta HD 1200, etc.)
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 AM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Darn. I’m late to the party. That information has been removed it seems.

Still, my daughter’s Clara is well loved, but seems tired as of late. The Sage and Libra were too large for her. An Elipsa would likely kill her if it fell on her face if she fell asleep while reading in bed. The Clara was perfect, so any upgrade on a Kobo reader of that size would be an instant buy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Darn. I’m late to the party. That information has been removed it seems.
It must not have been up too long. So it's definitely a Clara 2E? That would explain why Clara HDs are still on sale.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-04-2022 at 03:25 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:16 PM   #38
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Well, according to Rakuten Japan, the sleepcover has a release date of Sept. 26, 2022, and considering the confidentiality expiration of the FCC filing, it gives further credence to a Sept/Oct release. If memory serves, Kobo has traditionally released devices in either Sept/Oct or Apr/May, correct?
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #39
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could this be the next Kobo Clara HD or Nia iteration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Well, according to Rakuten Japan, the sleepcover has a release date of Sept. 26, 2022, and considering the confidentiality expiration of the FCC filing, it gives further credence to a Sept/Oct release. If memory serves, Kobo has traditionally released devices in either Sept/Oct or Apr/May, correct?

That link had my browser jump through so many hoops on the way to Japan, I thought I was in the circus. Do you have a direct link to that Rakuten page? Whatever you were linking to was either removed off their site or stripped out from all the redirect hopping.

What I was able to find on their Japanese site was this
https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/17248429/ (but there’s still a redirect hop of one, so maybe it’s Tapatalk issue.)

**Kobo Clara 2E Basic Sleep Cover (Deep Ocean Blue)**

Not the sexiest of names…
But you’re absolutely correct about the shipping date:
2022年09月26日以降

Last edited by Cootey; 08-04-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #40
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It must not have been up too long. So it's definitely a Clara 2E? That would explain why Clara HDs are still on sale.

That’s the appellation I’m seeing. It’s a departure from their normal naming schemes, so I expect an update upon release time.

Looks like the sale on the Clara HD is over. It’s $50 off the Elipsa pack now.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #41
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
That link had my browser jump through so many hoops on the way to Japan, I thought I was in the circus. Do you have a direct link to that Rakuten page? Whatever you were linking to was either removed off their site or stripped out from all the redirect hopping.
Yeah, that's the link. Mine had a ?l-id=parts-pre-order-slider at the end of the url, which I guess isn't needed (it came that way from Google).

Last edited by rtiangha; 08-04-2022 at 08:38 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #42
mrecom
mrecom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Anything about waterproofing? Anyone grab pics of the cases?
mrecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #43
protodoll
protodoll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Droid RAZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecom View Post
Anything about waterproofing? Anyone grab pics of the cases?
I had the same question so I went digging, and it looks like YES, it is waterproof!

Found that info on a Clara 2E listing on a Dutch website (wayback machine here for when it inevitably gets pulled ).

Google Translated descriptions reads: "Meet the Kobo Clara 2E: a more environmentally conscious eReader with significant improvements in a compact housing. The Kobo Clara 2E is our first eReader made with recycled plastic and ocean-bound plastic: plastic that was on its way to the ocean. Immerse yourself in your latest book with an enhanced 6" HD E Ink Carta 1200 dark mode touchscreen with ComfortLight PRO. Thanks to the built-in blue light reduction, you can read in the evening without compromising your night's sleep. The Kobo Clara 2E's built-in 16GB of storage provides enough space for your complete collection of eBooks and Kobo audiobooks. And with Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can enjoy Kobo audiobooks wirelessly anytime, anywhere. The Kobo Clara 2E is water resistant so you don't have to worry about a few drops of water and can read carefree in the bath or at the beach. Make a better choice and choose the Kobo Clara 2E; a more environmentally conscious eReader."

If the picture on this site is accurate it looks physically extremely similar to the current Clara (but this may be a placeholder image).
protodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #44
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protodoll View Post
I had the same question so I went digging, and it looks like YES, it is waterproof!

Found that info on a Clara 2E listing on a Dutch website (wayback machine here for when it inevitably gets pulled ).

Google Translated descriptions reads: "Meet the Kobo Clara 2E: a more environmentally conscious eReader with significant improvements in a compact housing. The Kobo Clara 2E is our first eReader made with recycled plastic and ocean-bound plastic: plastic that was on its way to the ocean. Immerse yourself in your latest book with an enhanced 6" HD E Ink Carta 1200 dark mode touchscreen with ComfortLight PRO. Thanks to the built-in blue light reduction, you can read in the evening without compromising your night's sleep. The Kobo Clara 2E's built-in 16GB of storage provides enough space for your complete collection of eBooks and Kobo audiobooks. And with Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can enjoy Kobo audiobooks wirelessly anytime, anywhere. The Kobo Clara 2E is water resistant so you don't have to worry about a few drops of water and can read carefree in the bath or at the beach. Make a better choice and choose the Kobo Clara 2E; a more environmentally conscious eReader."

If the picture on this site is accurate it looks physically extremely similar to the current Clara (but this may be a placeholder image).
i'd be surprised if it isn't waterproof. it seems to be pretty much a Kobo requirement these days.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-07-2022 at 03:35 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
So it's basically the current Clara HD, except waterproof with USB-C, blue, made with recycled material, has 16 GB of storage (instead of 8 GB) and has built-in BlueTooth. It probably also has a faster CPU (but that's just a guess). It looks like the price is going to jump $30 for these new features.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-07-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Left out "waterproof" originally. Second edit to add USB-C.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote