Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Tolino Update 15.2.0 is here

Today (2021-11-30) the new firmware update was offered to my Tolino Vision 5 and apparently also other devices (ref.: https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...update-15-2-0/).

Quick glance:
  • "Swipe up from bottom" (back) gesture seems to be in Android now (instead of just the Tolino app)
  • Same old Android 4.4.2 and old reader engines
  • Default Web Search now DuckDuckGo
  • My German hyphenation files "hyph_de.dic" and "de.js" were not overwritten
  • 124816 search for Android debug options doesn’t function anymore. It is now 1123581321 (first 8 of Fibonacci series, no zero).
  • A few "Info" screen elements reveal more info when tapped 7 times (see screenshots below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20211130_223119.png
Views:	903
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	190570   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20211130_222940.png
Views:	871
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	190571   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20211130_223216.png
Views:	824
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	190572   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20211130_223238.png
Views:	820
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	190573  

Last edited by Moonbase59; 12-29-2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added new debug options search number
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase59 View Post
Today (2021-11-30) the new firmware update was offered to my Tolino Vision 5 and apparently also other devices (ref.: https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...update-15-2-0/).
Thanks for the news. It seems like I just got done upgrading to 14.2.0.

EDIT: So far at least, these upgrades only apply to the newer Tolinos. The Vision 6 15.2.0 upgrade is NOT to be used on any other reader, with the warning that it will damage them. The other readers that will accept the "normal" 15.2.0 upgrade are the Epos 2, Vision 5, Shine 3 and Page 2. I wonder if this will be the end of upgrades for the older readers?

https://mytolino.com/software-updates/

Last edited by rcentros; 11-30-2021 at 06:05 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:33 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
EDIT: So far at least, these upgrades only apply to the newer Tolinos. The Vision 6 15.2.0 upgrade is NOT to be used on any other reader, with the warning that it will damage them. The other readers that will accept the "normal" 15.2.0 upgrade are the Epos 2, Vision 5, Shine 3 and Page 2. I wonder if this will be the end of upgrades for the older readers?

Vision 6 is bases on Android 8.1 whereas every other Tolino is based on Android 4.1. This is why you can't interchange the update files.

The old readers will continue to get updates, this was made clear during a recent interview with the Tolino tech people.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
[…] whereas every other Tolino is based on Android 4.1. […]
AOSP 4.4.2, actually, at least for the Vision 5. See screenshots in 1st post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
The old readers will continue to get updates, this was made clear during a recent interview with the Tolino tech people.
Except for the Shine 1. (Frank Bauer, tech head, same interview). But it’s a perspective, at least. If only they’d fix some bugs …
Old 12-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
Moonbase59
Zealot

How to re-enable ADB, debug and Android menusstarts around here (in German, long thread).

Not for the faint-of-heart, but works for 15.2.0 Tolino Vision 5, most probably soon for Vision 6 (different Android), and should also work for EPOS 2, Shine 3 and Page 2.

Adaptions might be needed for non-Linux PCs.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Thanks for the news. It seems like I just got done upgrading to 14.2.0.

I just started up my Shine 2 intending to download some library books and received notice that 15.2.0 is available. I hadn't connected it to the internet in a few days so it may have actually been available sooner.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I just started up my Shine 2 intending to download some library books and received notice that 15.2.0 is available. I hadn't connected it to the internet in a few days so it may have actually been available sooner.
This must have just recently happened. The webpage is still only showing updates for the newer (post-Kobo) eReaders. I had two failed update attempts on the Shine 3 before I finally downloaded the firmware and manually updated. I'm a little leery of updating the older Tolinos until the firmware is available for download.

Personally I'm happy with the firmware where I am, but Tolino now nags you at every opportunity until you upgrade. (Just checked and the Shine 2 is already nagging me to upgrade.)
Old 12-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This must have just recently happened. The webpage is still only showing updates for the newer (post-Kobo) eReaders. I had two failed update attempts on the Shine 3 before I finally downloaded the firmware and manually updated. I'm a little leery of updating the older Tolinos until the firmware is available for download.

Personally I'm happy with the firmware where I am, but Tolino now nags you at every opportunity until you upgrade. (Just checked and the Shine 2 is already nagging me to upgrade.)
I always wait until updates are actually pushed to my readers. I don't go looking for them online. Usually my Kobo (purchased from Walmart) gets updated later than other Mobilereaders who purchased direct from Kobo but I still just wait for the on-device notification.

I read a few pages on the Shine 2 after installing the update last night and didn't immediately notice any changes, but I didn't look at all the settings etc.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I always wait until updates are actually pushed to my readers. I don't go looking for them online. Usually my Kobo (purchased from Walmart) gets updated later than other Mobilereaders who purchased direct from Kobo but I still just wait for the on-device notification.
I tried to do that with the Shine 3, but two failed updates kind of spooked me. That's when I went with the manual update, which is how I normally upgrade. The upgrades for the older Tolinos are still not up on Tolino's site, so I think I'll wait.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:17 AM   #10
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:

I read a few pages on the Shine 2 after installing the update last night and didn't immediately notice any changes, but I didn't look at all the settings etc.
The only 2 changes that you might notice without hunting them down are the new search engine in the browser (duck-duck-go) and the software now defaults to "Du" instead of "Sie" in german language.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard

The one thing I wish they would change in a future update would be to make it possible to save history/passwords so that I don't have to reenter my Overdrive library info every time. I'm not worried about security since there is no financial or other sensitive information tied to that account.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #12
thaiphd
thaiphd began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD && Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
Interesting!
I wonder if it's worth the risk to update to 15.2.0? Mine is a Vision 4HD and it's in 14.1.0 now, and I have followed some guides here to "root" and install koreader as well as TWRP bootloader on it.
Has anyone install Koreader on your Tolino and be able to update firmware without issue?
thaiphd is offline   Reply With Quote