Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Good & easy way to create PDF from web pages?

I would like to create PDF's from sites such as this:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...ite-html-code/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/r...l-web-context/

I expect to read them on my DR1000 (10" display), so I need to be able to control the 'page' size of the output.

I'd love to be able to get a result without all the ads and such.

I'm on Mac, and I mainly use Firefox - I've tried several plugins now that weren't very good: Web2PDF and Loop PDF

Any suggestions?

Free would be great, but cheap can do - if it's good.

So far I've usually copy-pasted into Word and created a PDF, but it's a bit more cumbersome and I lose some formatting which I'd really like to keep in these instances.

It's bearable, but I'd like something easier and preferable better - of course
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I usually use the print to PDF option that is built into OSX (the Save as PDF button in the print dialog).

You can change the output size by specifying the paper size.

Most sites have print media stylesheets that strip out the ads and menus for printing.

If not, there are Firefox plugins that allow you to specify a custom stylesheet to fully control the layout, font size etc.

I attached a sample - I'm only guessing at the page dimensions that you'll need for your reader.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A List Apart_ Sample.pdf (92.1 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by pikelet; 11-22-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added attachment
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikelet View Post
I usually use the print to PDF option that is built into OSX (the Save as PDF button in the print dialog).
The existence of this has somehow eluded me completely
Okay it's 'hidden' in the bottom left corner and I don't own a printer so I don't really use that dialog window much.... but still

I've used a separate PDF printer application and it's stopped working when I upgraded OSX to Snow Leopard. It wasn't that great anyway, so I thought I'd look for something else.

Thank you very much

For the record, 16x19 cm fits the DR quite well
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
No problem

I've found that Safari usually prints a nicer looking PDF than Firefox. I have Acrobat professional installed which comes with a PDF printer too but I prefer the results from the OSX default PDF printer.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote