Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Patricius
Enthusiast
Patricius has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Fmon(KSM) and corruption of nickel database

The nickel is still my primary reader due to the support of vertical text and its robust epub rendering. The only thing that deters me from using it is the poor pdf reading experience.

I've tried several times to install koreader on my H2O, but all ended up with resetting the device because of the database seems to be 'corrupted' by something after I've copied the books and make some adjustments in koreader.

I'm using calibre and the device is always removed after umount return.

Is there anything I've failed to pay attention to in order to prevent this problem from occurring? Thinks for your kindly help!

Last edited by Patricius; 08-02-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Title changed since the Koreader is proved to be unrelated to this issue.
Patricius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I think it is unlikely that koreader effects the database. You do not mention KSM, but if you are using it, did you carefully follow the install instructions (especially step 1.4 of First time installation)? However, if this is the problem you should also have experienced that nickel did not start at all even so you pressed "start nickel".

Last edited by tshering; 07-29-2015 at 06:02 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Patricius
Enthusiast

Yes, I'm aware of the fmon (if I my memory doesn't fail me) trigger problem and do have followed the full instruction when installing.

I've tried to install only start menu and let it alongside nickel for a week of daily use, nothing broken. So I would consider that there is nothing to do with KSM.

Also the error often risen after I've opened a book in koreader and done some tweaking (fonts, gamma...).
Old 07-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Patricius
Enthusiast

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...16960&page=165
Due to some discussions on this thread, putting all "koreader-read" books in a hidden folder might do some help... I doubt it because koreader puts the metadatas in hidden folders anyway... will it have something to do with mtime? I'll give it a try if I have time to do so.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, I tried Koreader about a year ago. I also got db corruptions. Wasn't sure what the reason was. Ended up doing a factory reset.

About a month ago I installed ksm & koreader again. This time I never got around to start koreader (only ksm).
Now I got db corruption again....

It may be a coincident...?

I followed the instructions to the letter.

After a factory reset it works perfect again.

Strange...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I've been co-using nickel, KSM, and koreader for quite some time, and I've never seen database corruption that I would atttribute to anything other than nickel or user error. And I only use the dotted directory trick for PDFs.

I've seen nickel database corruption from:
- malformatted books nickel can't process properly
- unclean USB unmounts
- copying books straight to the SDcard, rather than doing it through calibre
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
I've seen nickel database corruption from:
- malformatted books nickel can't process properly
- unclean USB unmounts
- copying books straight to the SDcard, rather than doing it through calibre
The second definitely, the first should only cause a corruption if the processing crashes the device. I can't think of any reason for the last one. Manually copying a book to the device or the SD card should be safer than using calibre. Calibre does interact with the database, so that will always add some risk. But, neither should be a problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is another thread today that talks about a similar issue. My reply there.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ken, tshering, is there any way that simple installing ksm can somehow change the behavior when unmounting the reader from the computer?

A couple of times when I did that, there was no "processing" of new books.

And the db got corrupted several times. (This without ever using the installed koreader.)
I unmount cleanly, only use calibre to transfer books (besides a couple of pdf to .../.Library/ which never got used), same books as works before/after.

It may have nothing to do with ksm, but I have never had anything like this before or after.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Ken, tshering, is there any way that simple installing ksm can somehow change the behavior when unmounting the reader from the computer?

A couple of times when I did that, there was no "processing" of new books.
There is a difference whether you connect from within nickel or from KSM. If you want the books to be processed by nickel, please connect while nickel is running.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
patrik
Guru

Yes, that's what I think I was doing.

The only time I noticed KSM was when restarted and got the initial menu before starting nickel.

I would rather not do anything since it's working fine now, but if there is anything you think would be useful to do/test I would be happy to do it.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I would rather not do anything since it's working fine now, but if there is anything you think would be useful to do/test I would be happy to do it.
If it is working fine now, I would leave it as it is.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take it that you mean working fine with just Nickel. That would not be working fine from my point of view. I have my AuraHD working fine with Nickel, Koreader, and Coolreader. I don't use Nickel to read any files.

Let us know if your kobo database gets corrupted, while only using Nickel, as there seem to be a number of posts indicating it happens from time to time.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Just curious, did you try the "Simulate USB connection" icon that KSM adds to the Kobo library, when you didn't get the processing you expected?

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-29-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I take it that you mean working fine with just Nickel. That would not be working fine from my point of view. I have my AuraHD working fine with Nickel, Koreader, and Coolreader. I don't use Nickel to read any files.
Yes, that's what I mean. And I agree with you, I would like to have a working KSM/Koreader as well as nickel.

But I cannot be absolutly sure that it is somehow my installation of KSM that spokes my nickel. If it is, it would seem that thankfully it's very rare (I'm guessing?).

If you guys would like to hunt down whatever is causing it, I can re-install KSM/Koreader and do whatever tests you like. But if it's just me and a very selected few, your time is probably better spent on other things.

Quote:
Let us know if your kobo database gets corrupted, while only using Nickel, as there seem to be a number of posts indicating it happens from time to time.

Luck;
Ken
Thankfully, that has never happened for me.

Quote:
P.S.; Just curious, did you try the "Simulate USB connection" icon that KSM adds to the Kobo library, when you didn't get the processing you expected?
Nope, this time around I never got around to use any KSM/Koreader features. The only thing I did do was to press "start nickel" at the KSM menu.

Thanks,

Last edited by patrik; 07-29-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean. And I agree with you, I would like to have a working KSM/Koreader as well as nickel.

Nope, this time around I never got around to use any KSM/Koreader features. The only thing I did do was to press "start nickel" at the KSM menu.

Thanks,
The Icon is one of the fmon icons that you open from the Nickel Library, so not something in the KSM menu.

There may still be the third way to install and launch Koreader using Advboot. That was some time ago, I hope it still works.

Luck;
Ken