Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The perspective is what makes this book intriguing. It is told in four parts where each part is from the perspective of a different family member: daughter, son, father and finally mother.

The Amazon US store page for the book has a guest review by author Jamie Ford. I recommend you read his thoughts.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Well, I’ll join those who vote for Please Look After Mom. ���� I've watched a large number of Korean films and it will be interesting to see what their literature is like.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Voting is finished and even though it was neck and neck the winner is Please Look After Mom!

I'll have the discussion thread up soon.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I've watched a large number of Korean films and it will be interesting to see what their literature is like.
You whet my curiosity about Korean cinema.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'm curious too!

I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm curious too!

I'm looking forward to reading this book.
I'm looking forward to it too, and thanks Bookworm_Girl for the recommendation to the Ford guest review.

As to Korean cinema, I've seen my fair share. In addition to the aforementioned fantastic Mother, another all-time favourite film of mine from any country is the Korean drama film Poetry. It's about an older lady in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease who develops an interest in poetry. It's stunningly beautiful and a softer film whereas Mother is a bit more (purposefully) strange. Both of these films are from around 2010.

Those would be my top two but there's others I'd highly recommend as well depending on taste. A recent one is the drama The Handmaiden, which is a bit purposefully melodramatic to great effect but is beautiful and also has Japanese influences. There's also the mystery/thriller Oldboy which is amazing but very violent (think A Clockwork Orange levels, and by the way it was poorly remade in the U.S. a year or two ago). Another superb Korean film is Thirst, which is a vampire thriller, but not your average genre fare- it's more arthouse and based on Emile Zola's Therese Raquin. Finally there's the great mystery A Tale of Two Sisters, which is more genre but very well made (I'd compare it to being a bit similar to a Guillermo del Toro film; it also had a bad U.S. remake).

ETA- For anyone interested I decided to add links to the youtube trailers for the mentioned films:

Mother
Poetry
The Handmaiden
Oldboy
Thirst
A Tale of Two Sisters

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-11-2018 at 05:19 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

What an interesting list! Thanks, sun surfer. I watched the Poetry trailer. It looks excellent.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #23
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks, sun surfer. A great list. Poetry and The Handmaiden look particularly interesting.

I'm glad we are reading a Korean book this month. I would like to get a better sense of what life is like for Koreans, both North and South.

Oddly, the current no 1 Canadian sitcom is based on the Canadian-Korean owner of a convenience store in Toronto - Kim's Convenience (http://www.cbc.ca/kimsconvenience) , but I doubt if that has real insights to offer about Korean society
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
A Tale of Two Sisters is an amazing film with some remarkable acting. I found it fascinating. My DVD had an interview with the director who firmly distanced himself from the utterly banal American remake which should be avoided.
A few other films that you might like are:

The Classic
A Moment To Remember
Ditto
... ing
Postman To Heaven
I’m A Cyborg, But That’s Okay
A Werewolf Boy

I particularly liked the bitter-sweet “Ditto”.

BTW there are a number of forums devoted to Korean cinema and TV series. The latter are also very good indeed.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-13-2018 at 11:26 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote