Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Siard
Siard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hyphenation

Hi,

I've got a Glo, still with firmware 2.4.0. I've read quite a couple of books in a non-English language (actually, in Dutch) and as far as I could see, the Glo did not know hyphenation.
Then I installed an English and a German book, and to my surprise, the Glo did show hyphenation in both cases.
Apparently, the firmware provides hyphenation for a few languages. How can I find out which languages those are, and, more important: is it possible to install hyphenation for other languages?
Siard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Hyphenation is provided (in some form, some people report that it isn't very good sometimes) for:
  • English (en_US)
  • French (fr_FR)
  • Spanish (es_ES)
  • German (de_DE)
  • Italian (it_IT)
  • Portugese (pt_PT)
I suspect that the regional code isn't important, but these are the language/regional codes installed on the device. Attempts to add additional hyphenation dictionaries have, so far, been futile.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Here's a pro-tip:

-webkit-locale: it

This piece might be key in using other hyphenation dictionaries.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Thanks for that I'll put together a package with a different language later today and see if someone is interested in trying it.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siard View Post
Hi,

I've got a Glo, still with firmware 2.4.0. I've read quite a couple of books in a non-English language (actually, in Dutch) and as far as I could see, the Glo did not know hyphenation.
Then I installed an English and a German book, and to my surprise, the Glo did show hyphenation in both cases.
Apparently, the firmware provides hyphenation for a few languages. How can I find out which languages those are, and, more important: is it possible to install hyphenation for other languages?
See here which languages are natively supported by Adobe and how to add other languages. These natively supported languages also work with kepubs (Access renderer). However, other sideloaded hyphenation language dictionaries do not.

Or try the attaced Dutch hyphenation dictionary which uses the OpenTaal hyphenation rules. However, it does treat punctuation characters as part of a word. It uses these settings:
  • LEFTHYPHENMIN 3
  • RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3

Rename file to KoboRoot.tgz.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot.tgz.zip (49.6 KB, 325 views)
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Here's a pro-tip:

-webkit-locale: it

This piece might be key in using other hyphenation dictionaries.
No, it doesn't. I tried for the Dutch language:

-webkit-locale: nl !important;

in combination with:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="nl">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="nl" lang="nl">

The Access kepub renderer doesn't search for sideloaded hyphenation dictionaries.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Siard
Siard began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Or try the attaced Dutch hyphenation dictionary which uses the OpenTaal hyphenation rules. However, it does treat punctuation characters as part of a word. It uses these settings:
  • LEFTHYPHENMIN 3
  • RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
Rename file to KoboRoot.tgz.
I put this one into the .kobo folder, and it works fine indeed.
Wonderful! Thank you very much.
Siard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hyphenation, kobo glo