Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
katiarma
katiarma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Talking switch to kindle

Hello every one,
I am new here, so my question might be an old one, sorry about that.
I have the kobo last generation before the kobo touch. I like it but i would like more if i was able to sync with my mac and my iphone. And i think is annoying to tapping on it. So, i am thinking to switch to kindle.
My question is: will i be able to transfer my books from kobo to kindle? And how do i do that?

Thanks
Katia
katiarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
If the next generation of kindles supports epub format, you may be able to transfer your Kobo books. Currently you can not, unless you hack your Kindle with third party OS.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
marcardis
marcardis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
If the next generation of kindles supports epub format, you may be able to transfer your Kobo books. Currently you can not, unless you hack your Kindle with third party OS.
Not quite true.

You can download the books that you have purchased from Kobo, use Calibre to remove the DRM and convert them to Kindle format.

If you have a lot of Kobo books you can do this as a bulk conversion so pretty straightforward.

If you need any help, please let me know.

Marcardis
marcardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
use Calibre to remove the DRM
Calibre does not remove DRM.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post

ltr
Calibre can be extended with plugins that allow this.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiarma View Post
Hello every one,
I am new here, so my question might be an old one, sorry about that.
I have the kobo last generation before the kobo touch. I like it but i would like more if i was able to sync with my mac and my iphone. And i think is annoying to tapping on it. So, i am thinking to switch to kindle.
My question is: will i be able to transfer my books from kobo to kindle? And how do i do that?

Thanks
Katia

Hi Katia, we have an app for Mac and a top-rated app for iPhone, and your Kobo bought books are automatically synced when you sign in to either of those.

For the mac app, simply go to http://www.kobo.com/desktop and download it, it is not yet available from the Mac App store.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
marcardis
marcardis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post

ltr
As PeterT has said, it can.

Do some research!

Here would be a good place to start:

[EDIT: Link removed by Moderator]

Marcardis

Last edited by montsnmags; 08-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
marcardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Curious. Does the Kindle sync (position/bookmark etc..) for side loaded books (those not purchased at Amazon)? Otherwise as Sameer pointed out the Kobo does the same thing across its apps which has worked pretty well for me (though I am personally on a Windows PC rather than a Mac, but do also use an iPhone).

Also Katia if you don't yet have a Kindle (hardware) and are looking at buying one, I would consider holding off a little as a next generation model is rumoured to be out very soon (Sept. seems to be the month being mentioned a lot). Anyway if you are interested you will probably find more info in the Kindle or News sub-forums.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Please do not post links to DRM removal tools. Our policy is that we permit the discussion of DRM removal in the abstract, but not the provision of detailed instructions for DRM removal, or direct linking to sites where such instructions or tools are hosted. - Moderator
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
katiarma

Thanks everyone!
i will wait till next generation.
Cheers
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Sync'ing on Kindle is only for Amazon-purchased books, although I think I remember reading about a kludge using Calibre plugins to fake up ASINs so that some books will sync, but it sounded like a lot of trouble to me.

Added: original wording was wrong, edited to fix.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@susan_cassidy: In that case I don't see Katia gaining much in terms of sync functionality moving to a Kindle over her existing Kobo (which not owning the last generation Kobo myself) I believe has all the same book/bookmark syncing functionality. Obviously there are other reasons you might want to change, but this particular reason doesn't seem to be one of them.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiarma View Post
Thanks everyone!
i will wait till next generation.
Cheers
Good for you!

I'm too gullible, those Kobo devs have been stringing me along like the stupid kid after the proverbial Dollar on a fishing line for months now.

You're absolutely right, this would be a pretty dumm time to order a Kobo, even if they did hold to the promise of making it available in Europe in the next two days.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
molman
Evangelist

@bibahbuzemann: still pining for your search function bibahbuzemann? You should probably just buy something else if your in need/want an eReader with said feature now. Curious how you have been waiting on the devs for months though, only saw you pop up sometime this month?

Anyway don't know that it would be a dumb time to buy Kobo anymore than it would be to buy a SONY, Nook, Kindle or any device if you base your purchase on what you are getting today.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
katiarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
@susan_cassidy: In that case I don't see Katia gaining much in terms of sync functionality moving to a Kindle over her existing Kobo (which not owning the last generation Kobo myself) I believe has all the same book/bookmark syncing functionality. Obviously there are other reasons you might want to change, but this particular reason doesn't seem to be one of them.
I can not sync anymore, after the last update of the kobo app.