Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hugo Packet is now available

If you're going to Chicon 7 or are interested in voting for the Hugos, the Hugo packet is now available for download for Attendees and Supporting Members (via SF Signal)

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...-voter-packet/

Since I'm not going to make to Chicago for the convention (ain't a hope in hell), I've signed up as a Supporting Member and am going to make a real effort to read the material in the packet before the end of July.

Looks like everything else is on hold.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Some interesting-looking things from authors I'm mostly unfamiliar with and a few continuations of things I really liked from previously. Thanks for the heads-up.

I think I'll go pay for the supporting membership now and try to get the shorter works in the packet out of the way. Last year I picked it up late and had to cram and rush to vote for the official novels and shorts and skipped the graphic novel and artist/fan/newbie categories entirely for lack of time.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, I signed up way too late last year, too. This time I've been a supporting member since January, and I've been waiting for them to get the books to me. (Although I did already own ADwD, so got a bit of a headstart on what I'm hoping is the longest book.)

Annoyingly, four of the five novels are supplied as PDF only. I converted them all to mobi last night, but I'm not happy with any of the conversions, so I'm just having another go, now.

I have also printed out a ballot form so I can give scores to the items as I read them.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I wasn't paying attention, and didn't realize A Dance with Dragons was on the final ballot. Even though I already own books 1-4, I was planning on waiting until the series was finished before reading them, so now I either vote for something else without reading A Dance with Dragons or I read five volumes of George R.R. Martin, with the knowledge that there seem to be a fair number of people disappointed in A Dance with Dragons, and I think maybe A Feast for Crows.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 05-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I wasn't paying attention, and didn't realize ADwD was on the final ballot. Even though I already own books 1-4, I was planning on waiting until the series was finished before reading them, so now I either vote for something else without reading ADwD or I read five volumes of GRRM, with the knowledge that there seem to be a fair number of people disappointed in ADwD, and I think maybe AFfC.
I haven't a clue what any of that means . Any chance of a repeat without the cryptic acronyms?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADwD - A Dance with Dragons
GRRM - George R.R. Martin
AFfc - A Feast of Crows

And I'm not even going to try to finish any of the novels. Haven't read any of the nominated and don't believe I have time to give them the attention they deserve.

I'm going to work my way through the shorter stuff (Novella, Novelette, Short Story) and only vote on those.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And I'm not even going to try to finish any of the novels. Haven't read any of the nominated and don't believe I have time to give them the attention they deserve.

I'm going to work my way through the shorter stuff (Novella, Novelette, Short Story) and only vote on those.
The voting ends in two months, so I'm going to try to read everything with perhaps the exception of A Dance with Dragons. Martin's probably the one with the least to gain from another Hugo Award anyway.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
The voting ends in two months, so I'm going to try to read everything with perhaps the exception of A Dance with Dragons. Martin's probably the one with the least to gain from another Hugo Award anyway.
I *might* get back to the Novels, but I'm really enjoying the short stuff right now. And yes with two months I should be able to add in the Novels.

Just noticed that the 2011 Nebula Awards have been announced:

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...nebula-awards/

As this is my first time voting on the Hugos, it'll be interesting to see how the two awards line up.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I *might* get back to the Novels, but I'm really enjoying the short stuff right now. And yes with two months I should be able to add in the Novels.

Just noticed that the 2011 Nebula Awards have been announced:

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...nebula-awards/

As this is my first time voting on the Hugos, it'll be interesting to see how the two awards line up.
Outside of the novel category, there's actually a lot of overlap with the Hugo and Nebula nominees. Mostly pleased with this year's Nebula winners and majority of the Hugo nominees are also interesting.

Personally, I think A Dance With Dragons is the best of the five books in George R. R. Martin's series (A Feast for Crows is universally underwhelming).
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Outside of the novel category, there's actually a lot of overlap with the Hugo and Nebula nominees. Mostly pleased with this year's Nebula winners and majority of the Hugo nominees are also interesting.

Personally, I think A Dance With Dragons is the best of the five books in George R. R. Martin's series (A Feast for Crows is universally underwhelming).
Yep, virtual mirrors of each other....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I'm working on the novels first. Since I hadn't read any of the Game of Thrones (although now I've read the first) that's a lot of reading, but there's probably enough time. If I have to cram some at the end, I'd rather it be some of the mid-length stuff. I just finished Leviathan Wakes, and think I'll probably read Among Others next.

Oh and Deadline converted terribly. Unreadable to me on my Kindle. Luckily I have an IPad and the PDF looks fine on that, or I'd just end up leaving that book out of my votes completely.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-22-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yeah, Deadline's a mess here, too. I've managed to strip most of the headers from Embassytown and Leviathan Wakes with Calibre's search and replace, but Deadline is going to need something more serious, I think.

Luckily I didn't much like Feed, so I'm happy to leave it to last. And maybe not read it at all.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote