Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club December 2011 Vote
The short stories of Saki 7 41.18%
The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark 4 23.53%
The Daughter Of Time by Josephine Tey 5 29.41%
Twenty-Six And One And Other Stories by Maxim Gorky 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unzip the LRF and you can use Calibre to convert to Mobi.
Thank you Jon. I figured it out earlier and converted it. It looks pretty good.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you Jon. I figured it out earlier and converted it. It looks pretty good.
I've converted LRF to ePub. It works well enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Daughter of Time is available for free on this forum, just for people who are looking I voted for it since I nominated it and want to read it, but I would be happy with The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie winning too.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Daughter of Time is available for free on this forum, just for people who are looking I voted for it since I nominated it and want to read it, but I would be happy with The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie winning too.

epub

prc

imp

lit
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh - I'm such a fool. I didn't think in a million years that The Daughter of Time would be public domain. Just checked and it appears in the Australian Gutenberg site as well.

So I can definitely read 3 out of 4 of the offerings this month.

caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I had to vote for Saki's short stories, as I am totally enthralled with Spring Snow (slowly, but I'm getting there!) - but I'll be happy with any of the four.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
I like the way there's a hidden poll, followed by discussion about which books the poster has chosen. Perhaps someone should keep a running tally...
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Oh! When did this poll close?

The short stories of Saki takes the win.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So, where do we get it and which stories to read?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #25
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So, where do we get it and which stories to read?
The core book is Beasts and Super Beasts which you can get on the e-book section of this forum. It is very well formatted.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #26
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thanks Fantasyfan, it is here
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #27
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm pretty happy with this actually as I've never read Saki and the fact that it's short stories makes it less imposing.

Just have to finish A Christmas Carol and The Little World of Don Camillo- then I'm on this.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #28
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
It is also obtainable in Epub and Mobi direct from Project Gutenberg. PG provides a good TOC. However, the AZW copy from Many Books was awful with no accessible TOC. In the end, I personally liked the MR edition here most, though you have to convert it in Calibre.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-01-2011 at 08:47 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #29
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I also found Beasts and Super-Beasts & The Chronicles of Clovis by Saki at feedbooks for free. I have not checked the formatting for the mobi nor the epub.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The LRF for Beasts and Super-Beasts (for the MR e-book library) is already on my Sony reader and will be up soon. I am right now finishing up The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (short book) and will probably fit a couple of more books in before starting Saki to finish that up closer to the discussion open.

Tags
book club, december, literary, literature, voting