Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Orczy, Baroness: The Case of Miss Elliott (1905) v1, 1 Nov 2019

The Old Man in the Corner short stories first appeared in "Royal Magazine" in 1901, and continued regularly for a number of years. The first collection, "The Case of Miss Elliott", appeared in 1905, and contained only the most recent batch of stories, ignoring the first three years.

"The Old Man in the Corner", 1908, contained the earliest stories (1901-1904), and the final collection, "Unravelled Knots", came much later.

The reason for this out-of-sequence book publication is that from 1904, in the "Royal Magazine," the lady reporter's name was changed to Miss Polly Burton, and the stories were from then on in the third person.

The earliest stories were then re-written for book publication, to match the format of later ones.

I have now posted all three volumes of Miss Orczy's "Old Man in the Corner" stories. (The author's name is pronounced "Ortsy".)

1: The Case of Miss Elliott
2: The Hocussing of Cigarette
3: The Tragedy in Dartmoor Terrace
4: Who Stole the Black Diamonds?
5: The Murder of Miss Pebmarsh
6: The Lisson Grove Mystery
7: The Tremarn Case
8: The Fate of the Artemis
9: The Disappearance of Count Collini
10: The Ayrsham Mystery
11: The Affair at the Novelty Theatre
12: The Tragedy of Barnsdale Manor
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	174649  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 The Case of Miss Elliott - Baroness Orczy.azw3 (420.2 KB, 329 views)
File Type: mobi The Case of Miss Elliott - Baroness Orczy.mobi (403.3 KB, 324 views)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
matzerich
Enthusiast
matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.matzerich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Hello Pulpmeister, thank you very much! I can not find "The old man in the corner" (1908) - is this book really in this forum? Can you post a link ?
Greatings,
Matthias
matzerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hi Matthias

Just enter Orczy in the search box, hit Search, and there it is. It wasn't created by me, but by Harry T in 2010. (There are not many Orczy books in the Kindle library.) If that doesn't work I will happily email you a copy of my own version.

Just looking, I see that I wrote above, "I have posted..." when actually Harry T posted the first one. But I did make my own "house style" version for myself, which is in my Calibre Library, and I assumed I'd posted that one.

It would be interesting to see the original magazine stories!

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 11-01-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Hi Matthias

Just enter Orczy in the search box, hit Search, and there it is. It wasn't created by me, but by Harry T in 2010. (There are not many Orczy books in the Kindle library.) If that doesn't work I will happily email you a copy of my own version.

Just looking, I see that I wrote above, "I have posted..." when actually Harry T posted the first one. But I did make my own "house style" version for myself, which is in my Calibre Library, and I assumed I'd posted that one.

It would be interesting to see the original magazine stories!
I imagine they might have some interesting illustrations. I have a book that collects 5 of H.G. Wells books which contains the original illustrations. Not sure if he published first in a magazine format or went directly to book format but it's still something to see.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote