Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #46
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One thing we are offering them is that we will continue to develop the software and extensions. That could make it the most feature rich reader on the market and spur future sales. Even if they losa a few bucks on the deal they get a great R&D department that represents the cutting edge in users.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #47
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
Regarding hardware, there should be a STANDARD usb port, to attach keyboards, bluetooth, wifi, etc. This should be easy for bookeen to add. Stuff like touchscreens and extra buttons are probably out of reach for us.
A standard USB port is a very good idea, because it allows for expandability. But I agree 100% about software. We can develop that ourselves. One basic reader (with source) is all we need. I'd recommend RTF, but anything with some basic formatting (e.g. HTML) would be fine. We can modify that for anything else we want.

However, I still think the touchscreen and integrated lighting would be a good investment on Bookeen's part. The market wants a search function and some form of self-lighting. I think reviews of the Sony Reader have shown that. It would be in Bookeen's interest to add those two features, neither of which should be that expensive to include, and we can provide a market base and evangelization so they can sell many more units. I recommend we suggest an "affiliate" program to them so our individual members can be motivated to help sell units. See http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com for an example of such a program organizer.
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Let me make a small analogy.

Someone somewhere want's 200 cars outfitted with a special interior. You're a car interior fabricator and you'd be willing to make those interiors. Then you go to this client, design the interior, put up a price and then go to a car manufacturer buy 200 cars or so and refurnish the interior. This means that you are not in a position where you can change the engine or suspention, body or any mechanicals...except the interiors. Doing so would quadruple the price but if the client is willing...

I am not that shure that Bookeen makes the reader themselves. They are a team of engineers. My guess is that it is built elsewhere. I know about retooling and manufacturing. When a design has been set it is very expensive to make changes, certainly not viable for a 200pieces order! What we have to keep in mind is to limit the hardware we desire to what is being offered Otherwise the reader will cost about the same as an Iliad.

I think the reader as it is has all the hardware necessary to be competitive with others and be even better. The only two things I would see is a full USB master and wifi or bluetooth. The rest is all software, what this company is best at.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #49
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough... but I personally wouldn't buy one without a pen. At the price range these things are going to have to sell for, I need to be able to write (markup, anyway) as well as read. So I guess I'll wait for something different (which may end up being the iLiad after all, as they've been more talkative to the developer community lately.)
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #50
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well People!

We're at 61 buyers plus 5 doubles, That makes 66 and if you count off those who will think it too pricey when the real price comes in, I figure we only have a quarter of the number of people we need!
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #51
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

All right, I'll be the first to admit I'm not all up on hardware capabilities. Is it possible to have a text-search function without altering any of the hardware in the existing device?

(I see no way to input text in the specs, but I do see the letters USB and saw around here somewhere someone talking about a portable keyboard plugging into a USB port. Is this that kind of port, or not, or what?)
Old 12-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #52
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
More than $250 For Features Beyond Sony-->$350

I'm a newbie of a couple of months with the Sony. I am sure we will become a two reader household soon. If Bookeen supports good presentations of .pdf formats worth more.Maybe if it includes sw to generate its unique format from others. Perhaps it could support a current non-Sony Reader that gives us access to other than Sony DRM'ed books (Maybe Adobe DRM if Adobe would allow). The object is to have a reader with support of the widest file formats to give access to the largest number of books (DRM and not DRM)
I suspect that I could go to $350 if the reader would really be all the things that Sony doesn't do well. Because I have a Sony I would very much like if Bookeen could support Sony's format with DRM. Sure would like to be able to read books I buy on both readers(maybe that is commercially undoable?)
Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #53
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

74? Anyone left?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #54
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This tidbit on prices over on the Baen Bar forum, which they can share because Bookeen hasn't NDA'd them out the wazoo:
Quote:
Ordered in lots of 200 they can give us a reader that would sell at the same retail price as Sony's, that is $350.
Ordered in lots of 1000 the price will drop.
Apparently Bookeen is willing to install FBReader software.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #55
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
So, lets someone buy 1000 of them and sell them on ebay with international shipping !
Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #56
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I voted for one at Sony's MSRP -- provided it has stylus input (scribble on PDF, etc.), and a fully open OS (if they put DRM reading software on there, understandably that part can be closed).

Otherwise it offers little advantage to me over the Sony. Unless of course they include software for reading other DRM'd books.

Add other features and perhaps I'd pay more, but roughly Sony's price with a touch screen is a definite for me.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #57
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

if we order a batch of one million of 'em,
can we get the price down to $100 each?

-bowerbird
Old 12-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #58
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird
if we order a batch of one million of 'em,
can we get the price down to $100 each?

-bowerbird
Do you have $100,000,000.00 to spare?

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 12-17-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #59
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

This sounds like a great idea, and most of the suggestions have sounded great. To put in my own $.02, here's what I'd like.

-Formats: HTML, TXT, RTF. PDF would be nice. Any DRM'd format, I probably wouldn't use, but I'm not opposed to having the support. What would be better is if the platform were open (or open enough) for us to develop our own applications on as a few other posters have suggested.
-Storage: SD/MMC slot or CF slot. Or both? or 2 of one? These could be used for storage, _and_ IO devices like WiFi and bluetooth. Couple that with being able to put our own applications on it...well, the possibilities are awsome.
-Along with the formats, the ability to define any of the screen edges as 'top' would be great.
-Bookmarking would be a great to have.
-Touch screen would be awsome...but not sure about the cost. Depends on how much it would add to the devices. I did put down the $400, but I would love to have the price a good bit lower.
-Decent capacity batter, and the ability to recharge from a USB port might be nice. User replaceable might be really nice, but might not be practical for the physical size limitations. But if you allow charge from USB (probably have a mini-usb connector) you could use some of those small external cell phone charger packs, or even put together a few NiMH AA's and put them together into a charger pack.
-Decent default font selection, as well as the ability for user fonts. Perhaps some kind of standardized (I'm thinking a TrueType Font, or something like that that is well defined) font can be used, either on an external storage card, or can be installed into the internal storage so it can be used by all documents.
-It would also be nice for a user to override any default font selection for a document and force the reader to use a different one. Some people have trouble reading some fonts while others don't. Also having a user override document's font size could also help.

Well, I guess thats just about all I can think of right now. Mostly I'd say, give me the open platform, the 2 storage slots (which can double as IO), and touchscreen if the price can be low enough and I'll be more than happy.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #60
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
This tidbit on prices over on the Baen Bar forum, which they can share because Bookeen hasn't NDA'd them out the wazoo:Apparently Bookeen is willing to install FBReader software.
Sounds like we need to join forces with the Baen Bar crowd -- might be able to get the quantities we need that way.
Closed Thread