Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi
IsLNdbOi began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Nook Contrast Low?

Ok, so I've had my Nook for a couple of days now and there's one thing bugging me.

It seems like the contrast isn't that great or maybe the content is to light. Is there any way to darken the content while keeping the background still white like paper?

Or do I have to look into something like the new graphite Kindle DX?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I asked this same question but got no answers. Have you tried changing the font style? I found the Helvetica font to be a little darker.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
there is a setting for a light(can't remember the name of the font) make sure it's not on that. Otherwise,I'm stumped. My Nook, and the Nook in generally has been praised for having one of, if not the best contrast on the market.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
IsLNdbOi

I can't find any setting that affects the e-ink screen. The contrast doesn't seem low just when reading a book, it seems like it's always low like when in the settings menu or when running Trook and reading a RSS feed or when running the browser and viewing a web page.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Went to take a look at the nook today. I have a Foxit eSlick. compared to the eSlick, the contrast does seem low. I think it is because the screen is darker. Or maybe it is because the greyscale has more colors than the eSlick, which only has 4. On the plus side, the flash when you turn the page is much less on the nook than the eSlick, I think.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
could be that you have a poorly 'tuned in' e-ink panel or that you're expecting too much from an e-ink display

do you get any slight ghosting when the display switches from some light stuff to dark stuff or vice versa?
have you tried a different (thicker) font?
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Ok, so I've had my Nook for a couple of days now and there's one thing bugging me.

It seems like the contrast isn't that great or maybe the content is to light. Is there any way to darken the content while keeping the background still white like paper?

Or do I have to look into something like the new graphite Kindle DX?
when you say the contrast isn't that great, are you comparing to any other e-ink reader of the same generation? if you are, I'd like to hear exactly which one you are comparing to. I compared for many months between different ereader devices and have owned quite some, I can honestly say the nook has the best screen contrast among the ones I tried. Now if you compare the nook to the new graphite Kindle DX which has the next generation e-ink technology called Pearl that claims to improve the contrast by 50%, obviously the new DX will win out easily. If you are comparing the nook or other ereader with real paper - stop right there, the e-ink (even the latest Pearl) is not as close as real paper, any cheapest paperback or oldest newspaper on recycled material still beats the Pearl nowhere, let alone the nook or Kindle 2 or Sony touch.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
IsLNdbOi

I'm not comparing it to anything. The contrast just seems low to me.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
HelliH
Connoisseur
HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!HelliH , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook/PB 360/PB IQ
Quote:
I can't find any setting that affects the e-ink screen. The contrast doesn't seem low just when reading a book, it seems like it's always low like when in the settings menu or when running Trook and reading a RSS feed or when running the browser and viewing a web page.
Nook's eInk display can display 16 shades of grey. The contrast when reading a book depends widely on the font used in the settings. "Amasis" seems darker than other fonts, but some ebooks won't let you change the font.

The programmers chose a certain font for the menu. If you have a softrooted nook you may have experienced that "My Documents" has a different font with higher contrast.

Reading a website is different: Nook has to transform any colours into the greyscale, this might highly affect the contrast you see. Twitter's mobile site e.g. has small fonts for time and blue for tags and names. On the nook everything is a shade of grey with low contrast. But that's not nook's fault, it's the web design.

Last edited by HelliH; 07-08-2010 at 03:58 AM.
HelliH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
I'm not comparing it to anything. The contrast just seems low to me.
I hear you. The so-called "paper-like" reading experience is more of marketing hype than reality with current generation of e-ink. Unfortunately, the low contrast is not specific to the nook, but the e-ink technology. When I had my first e-ink device, I could not read anything longer than half a hour. The nook is my latest e-ink device and the best in screen contrast, but still way too low contrast to my taste, I cannot imagine reading it on the airplane. I was very hopeful the new pearl technology would change this, but judging from the new DX screenshots just posted, the contrast improvement of a new DX over the nook is very marginal.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote