Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Question Borders: Are they actually demoing Kobo?

I've put this in General instead of the Kobo specific forum, because its a question more for the general population than the existing Kobo users, and I think in the Kobo forum all I'd get would be the second group.

It's actually more a question about Borders anyway. I walked into my local Borders to see if they had pre-release Demo units of the Kobo around, since the release is coming so soon, and they didn't. I'm curious if anyone has seen them demoed at any Borders (maybe mine is just a store which didn't get them.

I mean didn't B&N have little Nook kiosks before they released it? At least I think they did. Seems to me Borders should have something in store for the Kobo, as a pre-sales tool. And its not like the unit isn't quite "ready" and they have to wait for production. Since its selling right across the way in Canada already, it seems like digging up some units as demos wouldn't be all that hard.

Heck, my local store didn't have so much as a "coming soon" sign. They have a totally ancient Sony Reader display (the newest models aren't even on it, and if they actually have the Sonys its got to be REALLY old stock). But for Kobo? Not a sausage.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I was in Borders the weekend the Kobo Reader came out, and I had the same question.

They didn't even know about it.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I find this strange that Borders in the US are not selling them yet. is this the case?

The reason here in Australia Borders have them in stock at all the stores, they have displays setup as you walk in with demo models working and you can buy them there and then.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I find this strange that Borders in the US are not selling them yet. is this the case?
They're taking pre-orders, at least online, for a second batch to arrive July 2nd. The first batch is sold out (June 17th launch).

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...0&ereader=true
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
I was in Borders the weekend the Kobo Reader came out, and I had the same question.

They didn't even know about it.
The only reason I can think of not doing so in U.S. stores would be if they aren't going to be selling them in stores at all, but only from the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
Yes. The release date is June 17th. Although if you order at Borders.com, they appear to be backordered and can't get you one now until July 2nd.

As I say above though, I'm wondering if they will even be selling in stores--maybe the website is the only way to get it. Because, yes. I don't see how they wouldn't have so much as a sign up, much less demos.

Heck, even if they aren't going to sell in stores I'd still do it, and then DIRECT people to buy online. They even have Interneted PCs in most Borders where you can buy e-Gift cards. If they can do that I don't see why they can't use those same PCs to sell Kobos, presuming you can't just walk out of the store with one. What a waste if they aren't doing this right. Maybe outselling Kindle is a reach, but they can pound the Nook to dust if they want. At least until Nook comes out with its lower cost unit later this year (I think its supposed to be only a few bucks more than the Kobo, but with Wifi, in trade for the unnecessary 3G junk the current model has). But until that happens they have a window, for a limited time, and if they waste that, they're idiots. ADVERTISE IN YOUR STORES, YOU MORONS!

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-28-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
It doesn't do any good to advertise a product you don't have, though. If word of mouth and a few articles on the internet are enough to sell out the current supply of Kobos, and if it'll be another five weeks before they can fill an order, why advertise to build demand? It'll just piss people off to be made to want something they can't have.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
It doesn't do any good to advertise a product you don't have, though. If word of mouth and a few articles on the internet are enough to sell out the current supply of Kobos, and if it'll be another five weeks before they can fill an order, why advertise to build demand? It'll just piss people off to be made to want something they can't have.
True, plus they have Sony's they need to sell.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Spiffy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Yes, but this isn't a case where they suddenly realized they don't have enough. The lack of in-store advertising seems to argue that they always knew there wouldn't be enough. Given how much lead time they've had to set this all up, that's kind of sad. Its a lost window of opportunity, because the moment Nook's lower cost unit shows up, the window slams shut.

So yeah. I get it. No store ads because there's not enough stock. But that only leads to the question "why isn't there more stock". The only thing I can think of is that despite the success in other markets, they were gun-shy--not confident enough to step up production. Which would be an okay strategy, creating demand as has been said, if the competition was going to stand still. But they won't.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My local store has the Kobo on preorder for delivery in July.

They also have the Sony PRS300 at $149 and the PRS600 at $199. Both front-and-center and clearly in stock.
And they advertise that the Sony readers can buy from the online Borders store.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote