Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
terriluvsbooks
terriluvsbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Currently Kindle Fire and I Pad. Previously, k2, k4 and Sony 600
What should I buy?

I am planning on getting a reader by early September. It will be my 25th wedding anniversary gift--yes I am a geek who would rather have a toy than a diamond.

I am trying to decide between the Kindle2 and the Sony 505. I have some concerns about both. I do buy atleast 4-5 paperbacks a month and a occasional hardback.

Question about the 505. Is it going to be obsolete in a year or two with the new readers coming out?

Concerns about the Kindle--fragility

Right now I am leaning towards the Kindle unless I can get a 505 for $199. My local Sam's Club has them for $249 but I am expecting them to drop the price at or near the 25th.

TIA!
terriluvsbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I chose the Sony over the Kindle because of 1) the price and 2) I can get library ebooks and put them on my Kindle without having to do any stripping/conversion. This is in addition to everything I've learned about the Sony since having it. I have only had my Sony since March of this year, and I kept going back and forth, but looking back, if I had to do it all over, I would choose the Sony again.

Good luck with your decision.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you only considering the Sony and the Kindle, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
It sounds like you aren't aware that the Sony 505 is about to be replaced. For $199 you get the 300 with a bit fewer features and for $299 you get the 600 with more features. Also, Sony has historically had a credit card deal where you can get substantial funds off of a reader by applying for a Sony credit card and purchasing the reader online. In the past, the discount would have been $100 to $150 off the $300 model.

With all of that said, its hard to argue between the two. You will find some in favor of one and some in favor of the other. I am personally a Kindle fan, and it is news to me if its any more fragile than the Sony. I like the Kindle store (although the DRM is not wonderful), and I use the wireless capabilities.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
terriluvsbooks
terriluvsbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Currently Kindle Fire and I Pad. Previously, k2, k4 and Sony 600
I'm not really considering the 600 because its the same price as the Kindle2 and most of the books I read would cost $7.19 to Amazons $6.39. The 300 has several negatives--size and no card slot are the biggest. I have a Palm T/X right now that I have some e books on but I really need a bigger reader and font. Now if my Palm came paperback size I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I think I will be happy with either one I just need to decide. I hope that Sam's Club will have the 2 new Sony's available to view on the 25th then I will make my decision.

In the meantime please feel free to give me more input.
terriluvsbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the Kindle is that you will be tied into Amazon for most of your content. Sony is switching to ePub and lowering prices at their eBookstore. And the fact that most readers will support ePub means that publishers will take notice and ePub will be one of their supported formats. And if you were to someday get a different reader (not Sony) you'd have a very good chance of your eBooks still being able to be read. Amazon's eBooks are stuck on a Kindle of some kind. So once you go Amazon, you have to stick with Amazon or lose what you bought.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriluvsbooks View Post
I'm not really considering the 600 because its the same price as the Kindle2 and most of the books I read would cost $7.19 to Amazons $6.39. The 300 has several negatives--size and no card slot are the biggest. I have a Palm T/X right now that I have some e books on but I really need a bigger reader and font. Now if my Palm came paperback size I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I think I will be happy with either one I just need to decide. I hope that Sam's Club will have the 2 new Sony's available to view on the 25th then I will make my decision.

In the meantime please feel free to give me more input.
I understand, and believe me I'm not one to delay my purchase much -- I tend to want it now . However, if your choice is between the Sony 505 at $249 and the Sony 600, my opinion is that:
1) The extra features of the 600 are worth more than $50, and
2) You will be able to buy the 600 for $249 or less.

Right now, it looks like the sony offer is $50 credit on your first statement. I haven't tried this myself, but I think what happens is that you apply, you get instantly approved, you buy the 600, and when you get your statement you see the purchase and a $50 credit. If you are thinking of taking advantage of this check in the Sony forum for someone who has actually done this. If you feel like waiting you will probably find a Sony offer for $100 or even $150 off. I think this is the current offer:

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=sr50b
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I think the 505 is up-to-date with ePub support and all. It is a thin, sleek device that I personally like much better than the plastic Kindle.

A BIG plus (mentioned above) is the ability to borrow e-books from online libraries with the Sony. Why buy books when you can borrow them? (This in addition to the large number of free books available online in various formats.)

Another BIG plus with the Sony (imo) is the long batteyr life. 3 weeks or so between charges makes it more like a book than another gadget that has to be constantly recharged. I never felt a desire for wireless downloading, and always appreciate how long the battery lasts on the Sony Readers. Just grab it and go, without worrying that it may 'die' on you. I can easily load 100-200 books on my REader, and don't see the need for "instant gratification" of wireless downloads. I have a huge variety of books to read with me.

Between the 505 and the 600, I might lean towards the 600 for an extra $50. But then again, the 505 prices may drop further soon. AnNd I'm also eyeing the more compact 300 model. Decisions, decisions!

BTW, Harry, I know you are biting your tongue and holding back on expounding the virtues of the Cybook. But here in the US, Sony and Amazon are the 2 big players. The Cybook (and other e-ink devices) are just not visible contenders here, in terms of advertising, sales & support.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-15-2009 at 07:55 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
BTW, Harry, I know you are biting your tongue and holding back on expounding the virtues of the Cybook. But here in the US, Sony and Amazon are the 2 big players. The Cybook (and other e-ink devices) are just not visible contenders here, in terms of advertising, sales & support.
I wasn't actually thinking of the CyBook; more of the various BeBook clones. Since these devices all now use the same ADE ePub reader, they all have equal access to the ePub book market.

The Sony PRS-505 currently has a very poor implementation of the ADE reader on it. It may be upgraded in the future, but until it is, I don't personally think it's a good choice. The PRS-300 or 600 would be much better choices if you choose to buy a Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote