Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
For me, reason 3 was the one to choose the Kindle over a Kobo (at the time of my purchase), but I don't use the Amazon eco-system. It basically comes down to it that you need to disable everything (Wifi, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads...), don't use collections, and just put some books onto the reader to read, just as you would do with a very old-fashioned reader.

That is exactly what I do. I positively hate social networks, and I don't care about organisational features, so I disable everything. The readers are not powerful enough to handle organisation the way I want to. I tread the reader as an electronic book, not as a library. That means I put one book on it to read, and a few possible followups.
I agree, I do not want the wifi, facebook, twitter, goodreads, etc.

I was so happy my PW2 came with firmware 5.4.2. that did not have the update that has the goodreads, etc. I will not update. I wish Amazon would (apple included) let you delete want you want from your ereader, tablet, ipod, etc.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I agree, I do not want the wifi, facebook, twitter, goodreads, etc.

I was so happy my PW2 came with firmware 5.4.2. that did not have the update that has the goodreads, etc. I will not update. I wish Amazon would (apple included) let you delete want you want from your ereader, tablet, ipod, etc.
5.4.2. has GoodReads, but only if you have a US account AND your country is set to US. At least, AFAIK. I've seen people complaining about NOT having GoodReads integration.

I don't really care what they stick into a reader, as long as I can disable everything I don't want. Making Cloud Collectios depend on an immediately available internet connection is just a dumb move. Just change the collection, and sync as soon as there is a connection, without nagging the user.

That way, people who don't use Wifi / Cloud Collectionis can use the stuff offline.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
5.4.2. has GoodReads, but only if you have a US account AND your country is set to US. At least, AFAIK. I've seen people complaining about NOT having GoodReads integration.

I don't really care what they stick into a reader, as long as I can disable everything I don't want. Making Cloud Collectios depend on an immediately available internet connection is just a dumb move. Just change the collection, and sync as soon as there is a connection, without nagging the user.

That way, people who don't use Wifi / Cloud Collectionis can use the stuff offline.
Don't see Goodreads on my settings, or Cloud Collections. I really didn't like my KFHD because it drained my battery with their apps I could not delete or disable (Audible for one). So I am not going to mess with my firmware on PW2 and just read

Last edited by new; 02-17-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: 5.4.2.1 has the freetime, goodreads, & cloud collections according to Amazon website
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
5.4.2 and up DO have Goodreads & Cloud Collections. For a US purchased & US registered PW2, the easiest way to tell is to look at your home screen. At the top, just under the black status bar, you'll have seven buttons available. In order from left to right, they are Home, Back, Light, Shop, Search, Goodreads, and Menu--Goodreads is represented by a lowercase "g".

Cloud Collections will not appear in settings at all, as there are no settings for that "feature". The easiest way to "see" it is to turn off wifi & then try to move a book into or out of a collection. At that point, you will get a message telling you wifi is off, and offering to connect or ignore. This will happen every time you attempt to move a book with wifi off.

As many of us can attest, 5.4.2 does in fact have these features, because plenty of people are quite aggravated by them! 5.4.0 was the only PW2 firmware that did not have Cloud Collections. And unfortunately, there is no way to disable them just yet.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
NEVER encountered that problem.

Quote:
I have no complaints about my Paperwhite 2012, apart from the lack of font choices/sizes.

There have been reports that the Paperwhite 2013 nags about wanting internet access when you change collections, because that reader supports syncing collections through the Amazom cloud. If you want collections, but don't want to always have the reader online (to save battery, for one), the KPW 2013 might not be a good choice. Granted, I don't know how serious this problem is, or if it is maybe even solved already.
I own a KPW 2013 and never had that problem. I use the Amazon Collection Manager and only turn on WiFi when actually reading an eBook to keep it synchronized with my other Kindles.

I get between 18 and 23 days for each battery charge.

I use Firmware version 5.4.2.1 which apparently has SOLVED all the problems of version 5.4.2.0.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #21
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
5.4.2.1 has not solved anything, sirmaru. Your battery life is exceptional because, as you've noted before, you do not read more than an hour or two a day. Similarly, you're unlikely to encounter the wifi off message often because it only occurs when you move a book into or out of a collection while wifi is not on...and by your own admission, you do not have very many books, nor do you add books on a daily or even weekly basis.

This doesn't make your experience any less valid, but neither does it make it relevant to many people here, because most here read and acquire more than you do. Things that you will never encounter, or that you may encounter very infrequently, may be great inconveniences to someone who has to deal with them multiple times daily. And those of us who read more naturally will experience the need to charge their devices far far more frequently than you will. I can reach Amazon's projected 28 hours of usage in three days.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Bookcat, I have a friend without Wi-fi and he sideloads his Amazon purchases by USB just like you plan to do except he has an older model.

Here is some additional information on collections which I think will ease your worries. When you create a new collection, you will get a pop-up that tells you that your collection will not sync with the cloud until you are online. If gives you the option to select ignore and then it creates your collection just fine anyway. So, yes, you can create collections without Wi-fi.

When you add a book to a collection that was sideloaded and not from Amazon then you get a pop-up message telling you that the book can't be synced with the cloud. Just click it and all is good. Your book is still added to the collection.

If you are sideloading a book which is an Amazon purchase and still protected by DRM, then I suspect you may not get this warning message because it might recognize it should exist in your cloud purchases.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If you are sideloading a book which is an Amazon purchase and still protected by DRM, then I suspect you may not get this warning message because it might recognize it should exist in your cloud purchases.
According to the reports, you DO get the message, it tells you that the collection won't be synced until you connect to WiFi. Again, it's just a nag -- but a persistent one.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't think you understand what I said which is sideloading of an Amazon purchase using the download USB option from the Amazon website such that it is has DRM. Most people are probably sideloading Amazon purchases that have been Alf'ed and no longer have DRM.

Also I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, and I am reporting what the message says through direct experience. When you click the check box to add a sideloaded book without DRM to a collection the message has nothing to do with connecting to WiFI. The message is that this book will not sync with the Cloud. Makes perfect sense since you did not purchase the book from Amazon and therefore it isn't in their Cloud so they aren't going to track it for you.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I have a hunch that very few side load any eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
5.4.2.1 has not solved anything, sirmaru. Your battery life is exceptional because, as you've noted before, you do not read more than an hour or two a day. Similarly, you're unlikely to encounter the wifi off message often because it only occurs when you move a book into or out of a collection while wifi is not on...and by your own admission, you do not have very many books, nor do you add books on a daily or even weekly basis.

This doesn't make your experience any less valid, but neither does it make it relevant to many people here, because most here read and acquire more than you do. Things that you will never encounter, or that you may encounter very infrequently, may be great inconveniences to someone who has to deal with them multiple times daily. And those of us who read more naturally will experience the need to charge their devices far far more frequently than you will. I can reach Amazon's projected 28 hours of usage in three days.
Yes, many here only side load eBooks, catalog with Calibre and remove DRM with Apprentice Alf. However, there are probably MILLIONS of eBook readers who have just enough interest to LEARN how to use a Kindle. They probably never side loaded any eBooks at all and never even heard that DRM is even important. They probably do not even know what DRM means.

I consider myself part of the SILENT majority of Amazon users who just buy an eBook to read it and don't even bother with any Collections at all other than the minimal Collection software supplied by Amazon. I'm probably one of the VERY FEW to even read these posts here and respond. Most probably never even heard of this Forum at all.

For me my PW 2013 works perfectly for MY NEEDS and probably the vast majority of Amazon customers. I have never received any annoying messages.

In the past there was a wide difference for readers of print books as well. Some had many rooms in their houses to store large collections of books of all varieties a very few having mastered the Dewey Decimal System to file them properly. Most were like me and got one book per month from the Book of the Month Club and dropped last month's book into the garbage. The only print books I still possess are a large variety of Bibles in many languages.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Most probably never even heard of this Forum at all.
Actually I only stumbled across Mobileread because I was looking for the Harvard Classics. I found the wiki 1st and then the link to the actual site. One of the best searches I ever did online I think as it led me to a place where there are some great ebooks and some very good conversations.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
According to the reports, you DO get the message, it tells you that the collection won't be synced until you connect to WiFi. Again, it's just a nag -- but a persistent one.
The only time I've seen the "nag" is when you actually move something into or out of a collection -- you get one pop-up warning you about the sync. It doesn't pop up while you're reading or doing anything else, in my experience. I definitely wish they'd get rid of it, but it's not a dealkiller for me.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
A few months in with mine, after several years with Sony's readers. I love my PW2.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Yes, many here only side load eBooks, catalog with Calibre and remove DRM with Apprentice Alf. However, there are probably MILLIONS of eBook readers who have just enough interest to LEARN how to use a Kindle. They probably never side loaded any eBooks at all and never even heard that DRM is even important. They probably do not even know what DRM means.

I consider myself part of the SILENT majority of Amazon users who just buy an eBook to read it and don't even bother with any Collections at all other than the minimal Collection software supplied by Amazon. I'm probably one of the VERY FEW to even read these posts here and respond. Most probably never even heard of this Forum at all.

For me my PW 2013 works perfectly for MY NEEDS and probably the vast majority of Amazon customers. I have never received any annoying messages.

In the past there was a wide difference for readers of print books as well. Some had many rooms in their houses to store large collections of books of all varieties a very few having mastered the Dewey Decimal System to file them properly. Most were like me and got one book per month from the Book of the Month Club and dropped last month's book into the garbage. The only print books I still possess are a large variety of Bibles in many languages.
Yes we know. And that is why none of your comments ever have any relevance in context with a group of people who do all these things.

No one here, other than you, has ever suggested the idea of the unwashed masses caring about this problem.

Please stop trying to tell people who do care about these problems that other people won't care, since your statement has no relevance whatsoever to the discussion at hand.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I don't think you understand what I said which is sideloading of an Amazon purchase using the download USB option from the Amazon website such that it is has DRM. Most people are probably sideloading Amazon purchases that have been Alf'ed and no longer have DRM.

Also I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, and I am reporting what the message says through direct experience. When you click the check box to add a sideloaded book without DRM to a collection the message has nothing to do with connecting to WiFI. The message is that this book will not sync with the Cloud. Makes perfect sense since you did not purchase the book from Amazon and therefore it isn't in their Cloud so they aren't going to track it for you.
Is it possible you converted the book? If so, then it is no longer the book Amazon gave you.

Many books are sold without DRM to begin with. If DRM was the only determinant of whether or not you see the "won't sync to cloud" message, then any book bought from Baen or Tor or KDP (and I don't know how many other books as well) would get that error as well.

A book with DRM is exactly the same as a book without DRM, as far as your (matching ID) Kindle is concerned even when factoring in Alf, until you do other changes. Alf does the same decryption that your Kindle does.