Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The line spacing slider doesn't work even if it can make changes as the minimum of 1.3 is too big to start with and can only get bigger from there.
Right, and like you, I really dislike the bigger space. And I prefer leaving the line spacing not specified so others can adjust the text they way they prefer.

The ideal solution for me would be if Kobo would allow even a smaller adjustment for the line spacing, down to 1.0 (right now I'm certain it's 1.3 like you said from my testing). Maybe in a future firmware. Then we could adjust the line height as we prefer without having to edit each and every epub we own. For now, as I read books, I'll make the edits before sending them to the Kobo Glo.

But the 1.3 limit really doesn't cut it for me, and it sounds like for many others as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But if you want to make a temporary change to a bigger line spacing, you can't. Or if you are sharing the library with your family and they like different settings. When I fiddle with an epub, I like to remove as many of the hard-coded settings as possible. That gives the most flexibility when reading the book. For line spacing, Kobo's minimum of 1.3 is almost right for me. I'd probably use 1.2 if it was there, but it isn't enough of advantage to make me hard-code it.
So if anyone else in your family has a Kobo, you make then suffer with an overly large line height.

Quote:
And for anyone who wants to know, the line spacing settings are: 1.3, 1.35, 1.4, 1.6, 1.775, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 3. I have no idea why those numbers, but they have been like this for a while.
Too big, a little bit more too big, still too big, really too big, getting really too big, awfully too big, a little bit more awfully too big, and really stupid too big.

I would like to see it go like this...

1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0.

That would work for most people.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Right, and like you, I really dislike the bigger space. And I prefer leaving the line spacing not specified so others can adjust the text they way they prefer.
But if like us, they prefer a smaller line space, but removing the line-height reference, you force them to have to deal with a line-height that's too big.

The ideal solution for me would be if Kobo would allow even a smaller adjustment for the line spacing, down to 1.0 (right now I'm certain it's 1.3 like you said from my testing). Maybe in a future firmware. Then we could adjust the line height as we prefer without having to edit each and every epub we own. For now, as I read books, I'll make the edits before sending them to the Kobo Glo.

But the 1.3 limit really doesn't cut it for me, and it sounds like for many others as well.[/QUOTE]

This is a major issue that sounds easily fixable. SO KOBO, [PLEASE] FIX THIS!

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-28-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Edited for politeness
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if anyone else in your family has a Kobo, you make then suffer with an overly large line height.
No, I let them decide what they want to do and come back to me to make changes if needed. And the last time I looked at my wife's Touch, she had the line spacing set at the second or third option. So yes, I am catering for her usage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, I let them decide what they want to do and come back to me to make changes if needed. And the last time I looked at my wife's Touch, she had the line spacing set at the second or third option. So yes, I am catering for her usage.
For my mother, I just did it my way and she likes it that way. She does read at a larger text size then I do. But not overly large (IMHO).
Advert