Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #571
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Uh oh. Miguel@OverDrive is going to have to sift through the Kindle vs. epub convo (fascinating as it is ).

Time to get back to the NextGen redesign crisis...er, problems?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #572
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
How is Overdrive more secure than Amazon?
That's the reason Penguin gave.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #573
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The point I am trying to make is that your suggestion is based on what you personally need, completely disregarding all patrons (and tax payers) with kindle devices.

It is like me suggesting to stop offering Mystery novels, which I don't read, so that more Fantasy novels can be purchased. Or like me suggesting to stop offering ePub, because I have a Kindle.

Maybe I can send Overdrive a list of books I already read, so they can discontinue them and purchase the books on my extended Amazon wishlist instead.
There is a solution. Get Amazon to give Overdrive a DRM server and the eBooks and then it can be done to the letter of the way it should be (served by servers from overdrive and not a third party).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #574
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post

25: Bug: On Brooklyn PL, must click "Borrow" twice before download. Gunnerp245

Is this still an issue?
Seems to have been corrected.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #575
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Now when you click on new ebooks at READS you are taken to Available Now and it's sorts by Most popular again.

At FLP takes you to Available Now and sorts by Release Date.

Brooklyn when clicking New ebooks it takes you to Library Collection but it now sorts by Release Date.

How hard is it that they can't keep this fixed?

When you click on the New eBooks link it should show Library Collection and sort by Added to Site. It's not a hard thing to fix is it?

I am convinced that people who work on the Overdrive sites can't leave things alone. They keep breaking things!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #576
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Now when you click on new ebooks at READS you are taken to Available Now and it's sorts by Most popular again.

At FLP takes you to Available Now and sorts by Release Date.

Brooklyn when clicking New ebooks it takes you to Library Collection but it now sorts by Release Date.

How hard is it that they can't keep this fixed?

When you click on the New eBooks link it should show Library Collection and sort by Added to Site. It's not a hard thing to fix is it?

I am convinced that people who work on the Overdrive sites can't leave things alone. They keep breaking things!
I really can't even search like I use to, I have 3 libraries and feel like I am learning from scratch each time I sign on.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #577
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Also, Brooklyn no longer remembers log-in credentials, no matter that I have "remember me" checked.
Neither does Ocean State.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #578
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ ^ ^ That's odd. Brooklyn remembers me on my Windows 8 machine, but not on my Windows 7 desktop. Same browser on each.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #579
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ It does not remember me in IE on Win8 in full mode, nor in mobile mode on my iPad with Safari and my iPodT through the Overdrive app.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #580
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But to be totally honest, I'd rather have Penguin eBooks back at Overdrive then Kindle eBooks.
Penguin - no great loss

for Kindle ebooks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #581
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The whole Penguin books have to be USB transfered was their way at getting back at Amazon. That was a different situation and nothing with new titles being pulled.
Funny thing is, you never had to actually hook up with a USB cable.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #582
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
JSWolf - I think the above info is what you are looking for. This is copied from DianNC's post #95 on 12/11/2012.

I tried this a while back when my Sony reader was mistakenly trying to pull up the full site and I needed the mobile site. I use the NC library, so the first part of the URL was different, but the numbers near the end were the same for the NC site as for the Brooklyn site.

The numbers to change are the ones near the end, bolded in DianNC's post - 40/20 vs 10/50
Just note, when I tried this for Maryland's mobile site, it redirected me back to the non-mobile site.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #583
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, having Kindle eBooks is the reason why Penguin left because Kindle eBook violated the way the service is supposed to work. eBooks via Overdrive are supposed to be served from Overdrive's servers. The way Kindle eBooks work, they are served via Amazon's servers. Penguin didn't like that and left. If we remove Kindle eBooks until Amazon can give Overdrive a DRM server, then maybe we'll get Penguin eBooks back. Of course, if that was to happen, there's be no whispersync or keeping of highlights/notes. But then, that was never supposed to happen.

But to be totally honest, I'd rather have Penguin eBooks back at Overdrive then Kindle eBooks.
I've seen some new books being offered as epub-only recently. Perhaps Penguin could do that, but leave the Kindle users the rest of the books?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #584
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
How is Overdrive more secure than Amazon?
Security is an excuse; this is about control, specifically Penguin not wanting Amazon to control this, because Amazon is a competitor.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #585
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I've seen some new books being offered as epub-only recently. Perhaps Penguin could do that, but leave the Kindle users the rest of the books?
I did a cursory check at my library and the first dozen or so e-pub only titles were from publishers other than Penguin, so it's not just them.