Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(BTW, in those states that Amazon collects sales tax? They still easily undercut the in-state B&M retailers.)
Sometimes. I live in such a state and the bulk of my purchases are from local B&M stores, because their prices undercut Amazon's.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's what? 300 million or so people in the US? If every one of those fails to pay $10 a year in sales tax, that's an income of $3bn that the government is being deprived of. That's serious money!
A mere pittance compared to what they waste on foreign policy.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
For me, prices at places like Amazon are competitive with B&M, but not overwhelmingly so.

What matters to me is that I can find what I want online, whereas it's much less easy to find what I want locally. Brick and mortar stores have limitations on what they can stock (or are willing to stock.) It makes sense to only stock what will move quickly, but fairly often that's not what I'm after.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Sales tax doesn't go to foreign policy. It goes to the state and local level, in other words to "small government".
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Sales tax doesn't go to foreign policy. It goes to the state and local level, in other words to "small government".
I know; but I'm talking about government in general. I lump all forms of government into the same group and don't really care if they lose tax dollars of any kind - sales, income, business, etc; considering what they waste.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #37
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
If every one of those fails to pay $10 a year in sales tax, that's an income of $3bn that the government is being deprived of.
Sounds like an action plan to me. Starve the Beast.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Sounds like an action plan to me. Starve the Beast.
Fine, as long as you don't expect the fire department to help you if your house catches fire, or to have roads to drive your car on, or schools to educate your children in, or a postal service to deliver your mail, or any of the other services that taxes pay for. Anyone who decides not to pay tax, is presumably opting out of the use of every service which taxes fund.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Fine, as long as you don't expect the fire department to help you if your house catches fire, or to have roads to drive your car on, or schools to educate your children in, or a postal service to deliver your mail, or any of the other services that taxes pay for. Anyone who decides not to pay tax, is presumably opting out of the use of every service which taxes fund.
They still need a postal service? Oh, I forgot about junk mail.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #40
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
I'll let it drop after this.

Quote:
Fine, as long as you don't expect the fire department to help you if your house catches fire, or to have roads to drive your car on, or schools to educate your children in, or a postal service to deliver your mail, or any of the other services that taxes pay for.
Counterexample: private schools and fire services, toll roads built and financed by private companies, and delivery services that will bring packages to your door in brown trucks.

BTW, the USPS doesn't really work in your example. It's more of a government-approved monopoly on private letter handling and is not tax-supported in any meaningful sense.

Quote:
Anyone who decides not to pay tax, is presumably opting out of the use of every service which taxes fund.
An alternative interpretation: they would to choose the vendor[s] of the same or similar services, free from coercion, grants of monopoly, and threat of imprisonment and/or confiscation of property.

When I wanted a wife I looked and found a mutually-agreeable arrangement. It was a critical, life-affecting decision but somehow I did not require taxes extracted from me to fund the search for and assignment of same.

Yours in friendly-if-offtopic conversation, etc, etc,
your friendly neighborhood anarcho-capitalist.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Counterexample: private schools and fire services
If you have ever lived where those are available, you would pay a lot more than what you pay in taxes. And would you want a private police force?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #42
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
When I wanted a wife I looked and found a mutually-agreeable arrangement. It was a critical, life-affecting decision but somehow I did not require taxes extracted from me to fund the search for and assignment of same.
Now there's a thought... a government run dating service funded by taxes... Forget socialized healthcare! As you say though, they'd probably assign you a spouse.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #43
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A mere pittance compared to what they waste on foreign policy.
These are state and local taxes, so I doubt there's very much spent on foreign policy.
And that $3 billion is divided between 50 states and even more local governments. (BTW aren't "billion" and "trillion" used differently in the UK?)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #44
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
These are state and local taxes, so I doubt there's very much spent on foreign policy.
And that $3 billion is divided between 50 states and even more local governments. (BTW aren't "billion" and "trillion" used differently in the UK?)
I'm not sure about current usage, but I think "billion" and "trillion" were US inventions. I've always heard them referred to as "thousand million" and "million million" respectively on British TV.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #45
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I'm not sure about current usage, but I think "billion" and "trillion" were US inventions. I've always heard them referred to as "thousand million" and "million million" respectively on British TV.
Originally, British English used billion for million million (and occasionally the European milliard for thousand million), but the US use of billion for thousand million has been used instead for many years [decades] now instead.

Edit: These are called the long and short scales.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-15-2012 at 09:40 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote