Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
How many books?

On the Kobo website it states: "* 1GB is available to store content (over 1,000 ebooks)."

On the Device Information page on my Kobo, it states: "On board Storage: 533 MB of 1400 MB." I don't know if this means I have 533 MB left, or have used 533. In any case I have about 75 books loaded, so don't see how I could possibly get to 1000.

Am I misunderstanding something?

BTW I have upgraded to 2.1.1 without problem, and with some improvement in page-turn speed.

Thanks,
Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
How many books you get on depends on format (for example epubs are much smaller than pdfs) and the size of each book file. The 533 would be what you have used of the total space.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The other thing is that the firmware etc takes up part of the total 1400MB (I would assume it takes about 400MB since the websites says over 1000MB available). So in reality your 75 books are only taking up 130 some MB's. Not sure what the theoretical book size the Kobo is basing their number on, but pictures in an e-pub really jump the size so there can be a huge difference in e-pub size. Browse thru Project Gutenberg to see the differences.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The firmware is in a separate partition that isn't visible to the end user (except for a small number of configuration and files stored in the .kobo directory).

The other thing to remember is that some books are larger than others because of images, including the cover art. This is true even if you are dealing with ePubs.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Book size

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The other thing to remember is that some books are larger than others because of images, including the cover art. This is true even if you are dealing with ePubs.
I just checked the folders that hold the books. There are more files than I have books, and they range in size from under 100KB to over 27000KB. So the number of books you can have is a moving target.

A question: if I insert a memory card, will books automatically go there when the built-in storage is full, or do I have to do something to make that happen?

Thanks,
Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You usually have 3 files in a folder per book: a jpg for the cover art, an opf for the metadata and the epub itself... If you want the books on the memory card you have to put them there yourself instead of in the reader itself. The card will have a separate drive letter when the reader is attached to the PC.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You usually have 3 files in a folder per book: a jpg for the cover art, an opf for the metadata and the epub itself... If you want the books on the memory card you have to put them there yourself instead of in the reader itself. The card will have a separate drive letter when the reader is attached to the PC.
That sounds like the calibre folder rather than what is needed on the Touch.

On the Touch, for each book you will have:

- The book file. This can be almost anywhere in the file structure.
- Up to five cover images. These are all in ".kobo/images". The number of cover images depends on the firmware.

If the OPF files are on the Touch, they won't be used in anyway. If you have an image in the same folder as a book file, it will be added to the Touch's library as a separate image. Actually, if you have an image outside the above images folder, it will be added to the library.

If you have the files you mention above on your Touch, that sounds like you are doing a "Save to disk" rather than "sending to the device". This will work but the default options adds the extra files that aren't used by the Touch. You can change the options in calibre to not save the extra files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I was able to put 435 books on the internal storage of my Kobo Touch (counting the book bundles about 455 books)
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
allan175
allan175 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had about 430 books at one point and still had about 500Mb free.

I've cut it down to around 50 books now (too easy to think "I'll just start a new book" when I had loads of choice on there) and I've got about 1Gb free at the moment.
allan175 is offline   Reply With Quote