Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
How to do a true 'Factory Reset'???

There seems to be an understanding that a Factory Reset is done by peeling off the back cover of the Vox and pressing the tiny button. I tried that and all it did was force a reboot of my Vox. All my apps and setup were still there.

Can anyone clarify and / or explain how to do a true Factory Reset? I have to do one so I can load my Kobo library and status bar (which stopped loading after 3 weeks of successful use)...

Last edited by pokee; 11-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
It's been stated by Kobo JW in another post that you hold the up volume button and the on-off button until the Vox powers off.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
It's been stated by Kobo JW in another post that you hold the up volume button and the on-off button until the Vox powers off.
Okay...I am going to try that now....wish me luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic

DID NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying again....
Old 11-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic

Nope...this does not initiate a factory reset...I've tried multiple times - everything is still on my Vox...

HELP! Someone must've done this successfully! Maybe I have a hardware issue that is preventing a factory reset? Hmmm...perhaps everyone should TRY a factory reset to see if it actually WORKS on their Vox! How is this even POSSIBLE?!
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
In Settings go to Privacy and then Factory Data Reset.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic

Whoa - talk about misinformation! From this thread below, we get two different answers (in addition to the one suggested by Kobo JW from above) - and NONE of those worked! Laura's suggestion WORKED!!!!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82691

Sameer at kobo suggests:

"You can reset to factory from the Home screen by going into Menu > Settings > Advanced > Reset Device Now. "

George at kobo suggests this:

"Turn off the device. Turn it back on while holding the HOME button. This will trigger the factory reset. There is no YES/NO prompt - and please don't turn off the unit while it's doing this."

O...M....G...

Last edited by pokee; 11-19-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
But try what I just posted in the other thread first!!!!

The volume up and power on technique is also a factory reset, but it is a little tricky to get right...
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Thanks Laura! I KNEW I'd seen a menu option when I was poking around in here a while back. Major K for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I think the volume and power on reset was meant for times when the Vox was bricked enough that you couldn't get to the Factory Data Reset you mentioned, Laura. I didn't want to try it on my perfectly working Vox just to check. .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
But try what I just posted in the other thread first!!!!

The volume up and power on technique is also a factory reset, but it is a little tricky to get right...
I did try it multiple times. Did not work. 'Tricky' is not good for users...'reliable' is good for users...

Besides...what's different about the menu option factory reset I just did vs. the 'up volume button + power hold' option you suggested JW?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think the volume and power on reset was meant for times when the Vox was bricked enough that you couldn't get to the Factory Data Reset you mentioned, Laura. I didn't want to try it on my perfectly working Vox just to check. .
Well, the Vox community can rest assured that the menu option works.

Can't say the same about the 'volume up + power button' hold option...but perhaps that is only actually operational when you can't navigate into settings?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
For the volume up+power off, you need to hold it down for several seconds after the unit's shut down. The other Kobo answers are for Android phones which usually include physical Home Buttons (the latter from George) or for older versions of Android, IIRC (for Sameer's suggestion).
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
For the volume up+power off, you need to hold it down for several seconds after the unit's shut down. The other Kobo answers are for Android phones which usually include physical Home Buttons (the latter from George) or for older versions of Android, IIRC (for Sameer's suggestion).
Did hold down for several seconds after it turned off (I think on my third try)...but maybe I held it for too long afterwards...
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Thanks Laura! I KNEW I'd seen a menu option when I was poking around in here a while back. Major K for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad I could help. Sometimes the simple answer is the one we need!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote