Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Frawan
Frawan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Kindle no longer available in Europe (via amazon.com)?!

Hi

I have been waiting for a long time for next-gen of e-readers, including the new Kindle.

The old 3g was available in Europe (if ordered via amazon.com), but apparently none of the 4g kindles are available to order outside the US.

Is this a permanent thing, or will they roll out the kindle 4 in Europe as well as they did with the 3g?

I am really wondering why this is, since I thought the free data etc. which they have negotiated for the 3g, shouldn't change just because Amazon puts out a new version of their hardware?

Looked around on the forum for discussions of this, but couldn't find any. Sorry if I am posting on something that has already been discussed at length.

Any suggestions/hints at what the future will bring with regards to Kindle in Europe (Denmark to be specfiic)?

Thx.
Frawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
We have no idea when Amazon will sell the K4's in Europe but I am sure that it is coming.

I remember that there was a problem with selling the K3 internationally and the US when it was first launched. The US supply was strong enough to handle demand but the international K3 seemed to have more then one supply lull. It might be that Amazon is intitially concentrating on the US and will release the international versions after the Christmas rush.

Amazon's main competitor is BN which is only available in the US so they are probably most concerned about countering the Nook Color, Nook Color 2 (when it is announced), and the Nook Simple Touch. Since those devices are not available outside of the US, it would make some business sense for Amazon to be focused on the US release intitially.

This post is pure speculation as to why the K4 is not available for order in Europe. The K4 Lite is already available internationally so I think the rest of the line will be available at some point in time. I would also guess sooner rather then later.

I do not think the Kindle Fire will be sold outside the US for a little while.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frawan View Post
I have been waiting for a long time for next-gen of e-readers, including the new Kindle.

The old 3g was available in Europe (if ordered via amazon.com), but apparently none of the 4g kindles are available to order outside the US.
The Kindle 4 and the Kindle Keyboard 3G are available through Amazon.co.uk for shipping to the UK. But not any of the touch models, not the plain Kindle Keyboard anymore.

I suspect that it's a supply issue more than anything, along with an intention to offer it through local stores. (The Kindle 4 is also available through the new amazon.fr store for shipping to France.)

I expect that we'll see all models available outside the US once Amazon are certain that they can meet US demand, which might not be until after Christmas.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
K4, K3 and K DX are available right now to Spain from Amazon.com
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
They are available in Europe (and Latvia). However, the "Special Editon" is (luckily) *not* available in Europe.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are plenty of folks who with the SO version was available. They would prefer the choice to buy a less expensive model and are fine with the ads.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Hi

Is this a permanent thing, or will they roll out the kindle 4 in Europe as well as they did with the 3g?

I am really wondering why this is, since I thought the free data etc. which they have negotiated for the 3g, shouldn't change just because Amazon puts out a new version of their hardware?

Looked around on the forum for discussions of this, but couldn't find any. Sorry if I am posting on something that has already been discussed at length.

Any suggestions/hints at what the future will bring with regards to Kindle in Europe (Denmark to be specfiic)?

Thx.
The regular Kindle can be ordered from Amazon.com for delivery to Denmark:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wi-Fi-I...d_i=B0051QVESA

Amazon is not offering either the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire products outside of the United States.

The above page will allow people from ALL countries to buy the Kindle, or it will point them to a local Amazon site (e.g. amazon.de or amazon.co.uk) where they can buy it.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Monday I had an e-mail from Amazon.fr saying that the "all new" Kindle was now available in France. http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/ref=..._10/B0051QVF7A They were promising delivery by Friday if I ordered by Tuesday, so they must have them in stock.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The K4NT has been available the whole time, as soon as it was launched, for Europe, from either amazon.com for those countries without a kindle store, or from either amazon.co.uk for the UK, amazon.fr for France and amazon.de for Germany. It is still available as of right now.

the K4 Touch (both WiFi and 3G versions) as well as Kindle Fire have never been available to us, probably they will be after the Xmas rush, or later on in 2012.

This is not news....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
1mz
1mz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (ordered)
Quote:
Hi

Thx.
you still can buy kindle even it's not available in your country, there are plenty of agencies which can provide you US address, and help you ship back to your country.
1mz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Kindle 4 and the Kindle Keyboard 3G are available through Amazon.co.uk for shipping to the UK. But not any of the touch models, not the plain Kindle Keyboard anymore.

I suspect that it's a supply issue more than anything, along with an intention to offer it through local stores. (The Kindle 4 is also available through the new amazon.fr store for shipping to France.)
It's interesting to see the Kindle 3 wi-fi isn't there anymore, perhaps just a supply issue as you say, but what I do find a bit strange is that there are no longer any refurbished Kindle 3's available (neither the wi-fi or the 3G versions).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #12
Frawan
Frawan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The regular Kindle can be ordered from Amazon.com for delivery to Denmark:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wi-Fi-I...d_i=B0051QVESA

Amazon is not offering either the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire products outside of the United States.

The above page will allow people from ALL countries to buy the Kindle, or it will point them to a local Amazon site (e.g. amazon.de or amazon.co.uk) where they can buy it.

Thank you for sending this. Apparently I just got misled into the 'US' version of the Kindle when browsing amazon.com (which didn't allow me to buy when I went to checkout), but yes - it appears that there is in fact international version available for Denmark.

Would love to see the touch edition though... Need to be able to just tap a word to get the translation.
Frawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Just be aware that the version they're offering internationally is the one with no keyboard, just the 5-way controller. Great for simple reading without an easy way to take notes, but it's arguably a step down from the K3/Kindle Keyboard that used to be the standard model.

I'm in Japan and was planning on ordering the touch to replace my K3 (which they did let me order immediately upon release last year), but that impulse-buy fever has faded...
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
A. Of course, the version with ads isn't available in Europe or even in Mexico where I live. Who would want to spend their advertising dollars in another continent or country?

B. My Kindle Basic has a keyboard on-screen. Works fine for me but I always hated the tiny little mechanical keyboard.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote