Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
lalawe
lalawe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Problems adding books in 0.6.5

Hi all,

I recently ran into a problem adding books in 0.6.5 on OS X. I select the file, add them, and the "adding" dialog appears... and then nothing happens. It'll run for hours with no change, though occasionally it'll error out.

A sample error (using a html file in this instance):

IOError:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/folders/xP/xPKrb1rBElqYIm7c2biEOU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.6.5_WHr9Ol_rm_worker/0.opf'

Details:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/add.pyo", line 132, in update
File "calibre/ebooks/metadata/opf2.pyo", line 454, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/folders/xP/xPKrb1rBElqYIm7c2biEOU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.6.5_WHr9Ol_rm_worker/0.opf'

I could add books fine in 0.6.0, didn't try in 0.6.3 before I upgraded in 0.6.5. I've tried reinstalling - occasionally I can add a book after reinstalling, but it's not a certain thing. I've also disabled reading metadata from the files, as I thought that was the problem initially, but it didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions for what I've messed up?
lalawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm that's a weird error. I'll code a workaround so that you will atleast be able to add the books, though their metadata may not be read in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
I've seen the same error - 0.6.4 was working fine. I downloaded the latest version after I'd added the last set of books, then tried to add books today and got the error.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I've seen this alot myself, but I thought it was because I'm using Ubuntu Karmic which is still in alpha. And I'm adding by drag-n-dropping from nautilus - not thru the add dialog.

I can never add more than a half-dozen or so books at a time before I get one of these hangs. Then I won't be able to add any books until I restart calibre.

When it does error out stating it can't open the tmp file, I've always found that the file does exist and the permissions/ownership is fine.

BTW, this error is by far the minority of the cases for me. Mainly the add dialog just hangs at 0% until I cancel it. I've left it hung overnight and it still has never returned.

troymc
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
dreamreal
dreamreal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I get this all the time. I can only add 6 books or so and then it simply times out in the add mode. I have to close and reopen the app. Very frustrating bug on an otherwise excellent application.
dreamreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, I just can't reproduce this, adding hundreds of books at a time works flawlessly for me on both linux and OS X. However, I am refactoring the Add books code to make it more robust, hopefully that will squelch whatever bug you are seeing.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Thumbs down

FYI,

Since this is not just me, I've opened Ticket #3121" to track it.

troy
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
troymc
Groupie

Yay! This has been fixed in 0.6.6.

I was able to add 50 books last night without a hitch!

Thanks, Kovid!

troy
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad to hear it