Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
well you're saying that isilo(PDB) is not yet supported on any ebook reader?

and are you suggesting that sony ebook reader does have the capability to read all unlocked PDF books too?
what about our fellow's note here , about under par screen res of 700 ?

and finally , if i plan to buy a 500 , does it in your opinion not a step back? since it was released 3 years ago . or is it the inertia of the ebook reader market that mandates this sorts of decisions?
thanks again
The PDB file extension is used by several ebooks formats, but iSilo (in particular) is only readable by iSilo's own software which isn't available for Linux and so runs on no EInk devices today.

The Sony PRS-505 and PRS-700 can read all PDFs, including Secure Adobe PDFs. However, they only have a 6" screen - which isn't optimal for most PDFs.

The PRS-500 is not longer sold, so you probably mean the PRS-505. This is still a good device, but it is a shame that Sony did not replace it with a PRS-700 variant without a front light and touch screen (i.e. with a clearer screen).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
does anybody knows in Amazon kindle does the same thing, i mean is it meant for only online book downloading , or can it be used with ebooks on your desktop , in PDF format?
The Kindle essentially only supports the MOBI format. If you have a PDF, it must be converted to MOBI before transfer to your Kindle. Windows MobiPocket Reader can do this, or you can e-mail the PDF to Amazon and they will convert it for you. PDF to MOBI requires either reflowing the document or producing images (scans) of the pages. Sometime this works well, other times the result isn't very good. Note that the DR1000S will read MOBIs too, so off-line PDF to MOBI is equally an option for it.

The Kindle does not support most DRMed MOBIs you buy from independent ebook sellers, but rather only the rebranded MOBIs (AZWs) from the Kindle Store. It does read all DRM-free MOBIs and most lending library MOBIs, and you can transfer them via USB from a PC to your Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
thanks wallcraft , it's been a pleasure to have you as a seasoned consultant. I think i'm gonna either go a 2nd v Iliad or a sony 505
thanks again . appreciate your help
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote