Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 09:12 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Happy with my Kobos

Just posting to say, I just received my Libra 2, and reading on this is an absolute pleasure.

The font is clear and sharp, and the white surround makes it feel like one big page (which is why I prefer white surrounds on my readers - increasingly hard to find).

Got it linked to my local library super easily, downloaded five new library books, and also got the Complete Works of John Wyndham today - on kobo . com for only $3.99.

So I am a very happy camper.

Keeping my Clara 2E as it is the perfect size for my purse.

I am posting this because I remember years ago when I was deciding whether or not to buy my first Kobo (switching from Kindle), I was put off trying Kobo for so long due to reading all the problems with them in this forum. So I am just trying to reach people like me, and assure them that the Kobo Libra 2 is a practically perfect e-reader. I'm talking reading books. Not doing other things. I bought it purely to read books, and for that purpose, it is just gorgeous.

It feels so good to have this back in my life - I returned the exact same model two years ago due to having (what I thought were) too many ereaders. Two years later, and one Scribe later (which I use daily for puzzles), I'm very glad to be back. And fully aware that they will probably announce a new Libra any day now.

Happy reading!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:07 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Current opinions in a different forum seem to favour a Sage 2E as being the first of the two new devices awaiting FCC approval with a Libra 2E slightly in the lead for the second device. Admittedly most of this is the wildest of WEGs though there is a small but vocal group suggesting a colour Mini-sized device.

Does thinking that it is possible to have too many ereaders not qualify as blasphemy?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2024, 02:37 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can't have too many ereaders. Simpler to hand someone an ereader than transfer a file.

Once everyone was dozens of phones, tablets and ereaders you won't be mugged for one, at least no more likely than someone stealing your cup of coffee and no bigger loss than losing a canned drink.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-09-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:05 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Just posting to say, I just received my Libra 2, and reading on this is an absolute pleasure.

Posting a compliment and not a complaint? That's a serious breach, consider this your first warning.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:43 PM   #5
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post

(...)

Keeping my Clara 2E as it is the perfect size for my purse.
Why the new Libra 2? You just wanted a bigger screen? Felt the need for buttons?

Sometimes, I'm considering getting a Clara 2E, just because it's so lightweight.

I wonder if there was a weight difference between the Clara 2 and the 2E, just because of the plastic not being the same. Maybe it's a silly question.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2024, 04:52 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I wonder if there was a weight difference between the Clara 2 and the 2E, just because of the plastic not being the same. Maybe it's a silly question.
As far as I recall, the Clara HD and Clara 2E both showed 171g as their weight. I was curious about the weight for much the same reason you gave and looked it up a while back.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:03 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Posting a compliment and not a complaint? That's a serious breach, consider this your first warning.
Hee hee, I may make a habit of it - watch out.

Glad to hear from everyone that there is no such thing as too many ereaders!

I have four in regular use, and various others from the past hanging around in drawers.

Claude_C - because I used to have one, and regretted returning it, and I love white bezels and this screen. I also got fed up waiting for the new Kobo so decided to go for it.

ETA:
It's so appealing to me, to be able to color match the screen to the bezels - it means I can make my margins smaller and still have the illusion of space on a "page" either side of the screen. I read the most today I have in ages thanks to this Libra 2.

And I actually now love the buttons in this position (I didn't two years ago, last time I purchased it). It makes me feel the feeling that people describe getting from dtb.

Last edited by Pjama; 02-09-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:44 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There's no such thing as too many ereaders.

Although I have only two at the moment. I usually sell everything I no longer use, so I only have two ancient Kindles hanging around in my drawer, as they're too old and cheap to sell. I've sold 6 ereaders in total and given away one.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:02 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Why the new Libra 2? You just wanted a bigger screen? Felt the need for buttons?

Sometimes, I'm considering getting a Clara 2E, just because it's so lightweight.

Google fu says the Clara HD is lighter.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:59 PM   #10
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Google fu says the Clara HD is lighter.
I was curious and found that the 2E weight is 171 grams, and 166 grams for the HD.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:01 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
5 grams is not discernable without looking at a weighing scale.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:15 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Thanks for the positive post! You truly can get a skewed idea of Kobos by reading a forum where people only post about problems they’ve run into.

Electronics in general are glitchy and prone to software errors, bad updates, database corruption, etc.—something not obvious to outside viewers. My Kindles and iOS devices have had their share of issues.

Overall, though, I love the Kobo UI, the ease of borrowing books, the feel of their ereaders, and how hackable they are.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:22 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yeah. I admit I was a bit put off by various bug issues in the Kobo forum too, when I still used Kindles. And it's true I've had more glitches with my Kobos than I had with Kindles. But I still love them and wouldn't want to use any other brand as my daily driver. Unless Kobo ditches the buttons, then I'd have to switch willy-nilly. I hope that's not going to happen.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #14
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I have the libra 2 and I do love the device. I have several kindles as well and use those mostly simply because of syncing etc. I use the libra 2 as much as I can. It is a solid device and the buttons are great.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:43 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I was curious and found that the 2E weight is 171 grams, and 166 grams for the HD.
extra weight just come from the extra 8 gigs of storage
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote