Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Nope. 2 taps.

If you are in the dictionary from reading, it will take you 4 taps to get to Home if you started in My Books.
How is it 2 taps if you've started from My Books to go to Home from the book? It's 3 taps.
  1. Tap to bring up the menu
  2. Tap to go back to My Books
  3. Tap to go Home

That's 3 taps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is it 2 taps if you've started from My Books to go to Home from the book? It's 3 taps.
  1. Tap to bring up the menu
  2. Tap to go back to My Books
  3. Tap to go Home

That's 3 taps.
You are moving the goal posts. If I'm reading, and I tap My Books, I go to my home (My Books).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 04:15 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You are moving the goal posts. If I'm reading, and I tap My Books, I go to my home (My Books).
How do you tap My Books from an open book without a tap to bring up the menu?
Old 08-29-2023, 04:16 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm waiting for the patches before I install this firmware.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:32 PM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you tap My Books from an open book without a tap to bring up the menu?
Oops, I tap for the menu and then My Books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #21
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Why oh why would they use a QR code? I have no way to scan such a thing and will not use them any way--to big of a security threat.

Not that I will ever use pocket.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Here's what I have in my notes for this release:

Pass 1:
Updated Pocket sign in flow. In the More tab > My Articles, scan the QR code and follow the steps to link your eReader with Pocket.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:38 PM   #22
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Why oh why would they use a QR code? I have no way to scan such a thing
Haven't tried it yet, but looking at their docs, looks like it works identically to the way they set up google drive. You can use the QR code or you can put in a one time key into their website. It worked really well (without the QR code) for google drive. (Will try this shortly for pocket, just did the upgrade.)

Anyway, if you're not going to use pocket, why complain about something you haven't tried and won't use...seems kinda pointless. Like complaining you wont ever eat peas because you hate the color blue.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #23
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.38.21908

Quote:
Why oh why would they use a QR code? I have no way to scan such a thing and will not use them any way--to big of a security threat.

Not that I will ever use pocket.

bernie

1. Because it’s convenient.
2. Because a lot of people have a phone with a handy built-in camera these days.
3. …
4. Profit! No, wait. Wrong meme…

Last edited by Cootey; 08-30-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:05 PM   #24
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I just converted my pocket account to a firefox account.

Poked around on my kobo to try to convert it after upgrading...couldn't find a way....but it still works and it seems to have transfered over. I had 4 web browsers and the kobo attached to the account. Now it's just one web browser and the kobo. (Will re-add the others soon.)

edit: checked again, and my other browsers are showing up now...maybe they remotely refreshed and transferred automatically??

Last edited by compurandom; 08-29-2023 at 09:22 PM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:45 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I installed a barcode / QR scanner/reader that never ever does anything automatically. It displays the decoded content and a menu of some applications (guessed from content) and you can copy/paste the decoded text into anything.

However there should never be only a QR code, there should be the text too.

My Hobby: replacing QR codes on the supermarket shelves

Edit:
I don't use Pocket and was removing it from the Browser tool bar even before Firefox bought it. It gives too much info to 3rd parties. I copy & paste into a text editor or word processor, clean up, perhaps combine several sites and make an epub with Calibre from an extra docx save.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-30-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #26
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't use Pocket and was removing it from the Browser tool bar even before Firefox bought it. It gives too much info to 3rd parties. I copy & paste into a text editor or word processor, clean up, perhaps combine several sites and make an epub with Calibre from an extra docx save.
The excellent free browser extension Readable does a great job of cleaning up web pages and removing ads. For a time, Evernote had licensed it as "Clearly," but it's now available with no connection to Evernote or any other company.

https://rdbl.us/

From the FAQ:

Is Readable secure?
Yes, it is; as secure as it can possibly be. All of the text processing that Readable does is actually done in your own browser; not one piece of text gets sent anywhere else.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #27
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware 4.38.21908

I've now installed the latest firmware. Anxious to see if it fixes the battery drain when notebooks are open bug.

I’ve already noticed that the cloud syncing bug has been fixed. All my notebooks that were stuck in a state of being out of sync with the server accepted my choice of local over cloud version a few moments ago. Those notebooks were basically locked because they also would crash if you updated the local version. I haven’t noticed any battery draining yet. So far, so good.

Last edited by Cootey; 08-30-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:22 PM   #28
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Firmware 4.38.21908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
1. Because it’s convenient.
2. Because a lot of people have a phone with a handy built-in camera these days.
3. …
4. Profit! No, wait. Wrong meme…

As for point No.1, it’s generally convenient. Firefox has managed to muck it up. I wasn’t aware that my old login needed to be updated. It wasn’t clear over the summer that the Pocket login drama with Kobo was all because Firefox had purchased the company. I’ve been distracted with family matters and not paying full attention.

When you point your camera to the QR code in iOS, the domain of the URL is shown underneath the code. This is to prevent spoofing. At any rate, tapping on the URL, then, clicking on “authorize”, produces an error at kobo.com. I had problems authorizing my Pocket app on my iPhone, too, but I was able to fix that one by manually updating the keychains. This sounds like a Firefox/Kobo issue, though, not a firmware issue.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:38 AM   #29
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
[…]
I had problems authorizing my Pocket app on my iPhone, too, but I was able to fix that one by manually updating the keychains. This sounds like a Firefox/Kobo issue, though, not a firmware issue.
Same problem to authorize using my computer.

I had a pocket account on an old e-mail and a firefox account on another e-mail. I had not yet migrate my pocket account to firefox auth. I did it first, without problem.

The QR code just open the URL: " https://kobo.com/pocket?code= " with the displayed code after the =.
When I open that URL, my browser is redirected to my pocket account for authorization:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 10-22-54 Pocket Authorize App.png
Views:	101
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	203466

Authorizing redirect to the kobo website with an error:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 10-23-21 Sign-in Rakuten Kobo.png
Views:	89
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	203467

I tried using firefox and chrome with the same error.
As I’m using adblocker and other privacy add-ons, I thought maybe something was intercepted in the process.
I’m not really needing pocket on my kobo, so I will see later if it’s fixed.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:52 AM   #30
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
Same problem to authorize using my computer.

I had a pocket account on an old e-mail and a firefox account on another e-mail. I had not yet migrate my pocket account to firefox auth. I did it first, without problem.

The QR code just open the URL: " https://kobo.com/pocket?code= " with the displayed code after the =.
When I open that URL, my browser is redirected to my pocket account for authorization:
Attachment 203466

Authorizing redirect to the kobo website with an error:
Attachment 203467

I tried using firefox and chrome with the same error.
As I’m using adblocker and other privacy add-ons, I thought maybe something was intercepted in the process.
I’m not really needing pocket on my kobo, so I will see later if it’s fixed.

I’m seeing all the same screens. I even deleted my pocket account (it’s alright, I’d been wanting a way to mass delete the backlog anyway), created a new account, and created a new password for pocket separate from Firefox as suggested in another thread. No luck.

Yes, there are many people that don’t have any problems at all, but that doesn’t mean something isn’t messed up for some accounts. We’ll have to wait for them to fix things on the server side.

Tags
firmware, firmware release