Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No. I just dropped mine in the root directory. But, I have just tried one in a sub-directory. I would keep them out of the .kobo directory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
No DRM on my library, or maybe it's Overdrive. Yeah, I got the file format thing, I was just wondering if I could keep all the books tucked in a subfolder off of root. That wasn't clear yet.
I didn't bother testing initially as I knew it would work. But, I did test after someone else tried something and they had problems. Which I think were for other reasons.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
It may not work for me as the audiobook feature is not active in Germany. I was hoping that having an audiobook present would just overwrite the feature flag.
I don't think that they would block sideloading the audiobooks. But, are the Bluetooth options in the settings? If they are, and you can connect to an audio device, I would expect playback to work.
Advert
Old 11-03-2021, 11:54 PM   #18
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post

So, yes, mp3 playback is nice to have. But it's really nothing new. The sweet thing would be progress tracking across reading modes and devices.
Does it at least save your location automatically on multiple audiobooks, or does it restart the zipped collection from the beginning?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:02 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Perhaps people didn’t fuss with it because Kobo had stated they wouldn’t work.
I didn't notice this before, but, I'm not sure what you mean. My first post mentioned surprise that no one had talked about playing audiobooks at all. I would have expected someone to try and comment. Maybe I missed it.

If you are talking about sideloading audiobooks, I don't remember ever seeing Kobo saying they wouldn't be supported. And the response I got from them when I asked, was along the lines of, "I'm sure you guys will work it out". Which is one of the reasons for my statement of them not being officially supported, but not actually blocked.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:09 AM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I didn't notice this before, but, I'm not sure what you mean. My first post mentioned surprise that no one had talked about playing audiobooks at all. I would have expected someone to try and comment. Maybe I missed it.

If you are talking about sideloading audiobooks, I don't remember ever seeing Kobo saying they wouldn't be supported. And the response I got from them when I asked, was along the lines of, "I'm sure you guys will work it out". Which is one of the reasons for my statement of them not being officially supported, but not actually blocked.
Must be the benefit of being closer to the inside. I’d asked them about overdrive audiobooks, they’d said it was only Kobo audiobooks. I posted in, I think, the Kobo opinions thread, along with some other bits of info like the power case having a 1200 Mah battery. Though I can understand missing that with all the posting going on, and the multiple threads on the Sage/Libra 2.

But I’d imagine most people who caught that post might have not bothered looking into it. Since it was from Kobos social media reps (Facebook specifically).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 02:30 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Must be the benefit of being closer to the inside. I’d asked them about overdrive audiobooks, they’d said it was only Kobo audiobooks. I posted in, I think, the Kobo opinions thread, along with some other bits of info like the power case having a 1200 Mah battery. Though I can understand missing that with all the posting going on, and the multiple threads on the Sage/Libra 2.

But I’d imagine most people who caught that post might have not bothered looking into it. Since it was from Kobos social media reps (Facebook specifically).
Yes, my question went to an internal person and can't be considered official. There was a comment about OD audiobooks that suggests they might support them in the future. I hadn't thought about it before, but, I wonder if they could do it through the store in a similar way to OD ebooks. I suspect the hard part of that would be the contracts between the companies involved. The lawyers would want their slice of the pie. If it is through sideloading, then it means supporting whatever DRM OD uses. Which would involve the lawyers again, but also mean extra code.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #22
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
It may not work for me as the audiobook feature is not active in Germany. I was hoping that having an audiobook present would just overwrite the feature flag.
This was an user error. My kobo was running on an outdated firmware. After updating it with the latest one, the audiobook player became available.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
So far, I don't see a way to get metadata. The title of the audiobook will be the file name, the author is "Unkown Author" and there is no cover. In the book list, the type is "MP3Z".
I'll take a look at the firmware later and see if it reads metadata from anywhere. If not, and there's some sort of standard format for it, I can add support for it in NickelSeries.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #24
Zenmaster
Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O
I tried sideloading a .mp3z file on my Libra 2 just now. Here were my findings:

I put a Librivox (fully public domain) file, zipped and renamed to a .mp3z extension, into my Libra 2 root directory, and into a subdirectory off the root directory entitled "Audiobooks". (I did not place anything in the kobo directory)

After disconnecting my Libra 2 from my PC, both files showed up on my Libra 2 fine. They appeared as "books", but they had buttons for a very simple player.

The problem was, none of my bluetooth headphones would pair with the Libra 2.

Since I was planning to join the Kobo Audiobook subscription free trial anyway, I went ahead and joined it and got my free audiobook. Upon syncing with my Libra 2, the Kobo audiobook downloaded fine and was seen by the Libra 2 as an audiobook, not a book. When I tried to pair my bluetooth headphones, a pairing window immediately showed up on the Libra 2. I chose my headphones, and they paired immediately. I was able to listen to the audiobook fine.

Happy ending: My two Librivox files could now also be listened to!

Takeaway: If you try sideloading .mp3z files only, you might not be able to pair bluetooth headphones with your Libra 2. You may need to purchase at least 1 official Kobo audiobook to pair your bluetooth devices so you can listen to your sideloaded books. Also, sideloaded .mp3z files worked in both the root directory and a subfolder off the root directory
Zenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaster View Post
Takeaway: If you try sideloading .mp3z files only, you might not be able to pair bluetooth headphones with your Libra 2. You may need to purchase at least 1 official Kobo audiobook to pair your bluetooth devices so you can listen to your sideloaded books. Also, sideloaded .mp3z files worked in both the root directory and a subfolder off the root directory
Hmm... so clearly there is some marker file or something in the Kobo audiobooks that allow the device to see them differently, to file in Audiobooks and to set up headphones from within book.

Earlier in this thread, someone said you can setup BT devices in the settings menu and then go back to the sideloaded mp3z audiobook, and it'll work that way.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #26
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaster View Post
I was able to pair my headphones with the libra without any official audiobook, but I had to try 2 or 3 times (might just have been me though, the headphones are new and so am I regarding bluetooth stuff).

I did some tests and it works well, here's what I found:
- so far I've only been able to read mp3 files (flac and ogg don't work)
- I wasn't able to have the libra display a cover for the mp3z file, but if your mp3 file metadata include the cover it will be displayed when it's read
- the libra doesn't get the author name from the filename, it uses the whole file name as the title
- when you leave the book the libra will remember the file you were reading (the "chapter") but will read it from the beginning, and unfortunately there's no indication of total duration or read time

Last edited by Nikoz; 11-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #27
vrf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoz View Post
- when you leave the book the libra will remember the file you were reading (the "chapter") but will read it from the beginning

Oh, no. That makes this far less useful if it doesn't remember position in a file.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoz View Post
- so far I've only been able to read mp3 files (flac and ogg don't work)
From the libraries in the firmware package, they are only supporting MP3.
Quote:
- I wasn't able to have the libra display a cover for the mp3z file, but if your mp3 file metadata include the cover it will be displayed when it's read
If you use calibre, the sideloaded audiobooks will show in the device list and match to books in the library. It can update the metadata and my Kobo Utilities plugin can upload a cover.

You can't send an mp3z from calibre. It would need a little work to support that.

Purchased audiobooks do not show up. That is related to how the drivers search for books. Adding them probably won't be hard.
Quote:
- the libra doesn't get the author name from the filename, it uses the whole file name as the title
Which is the same as other book formats that do not have internal metadata. Or at least an official standard. You will see this for TXT, images and comics.
Quote:
- when you leave the book the libra will remember the file you were reading (the "chapter") but will read it from the beginning, and unfortunately there's no indication of total duration or read time
That's probably the worst part of all of it if you want to listen to sideloaded audiobooks.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #29
vrf
Addict

USB-C headphones

Has anyone tried USB-C headphones on the Libra 2 or Sage?
Old 11-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #30
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wonder if it'd be possible to recompile and replace the multimedia libraries with one that has support for more codecs. I'd try it myself, but I don't have one of these devices and no plans to get one any time soon (my Glo HD is still going strong).
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote