Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your Covid vaccination status?
I’ve had both shots. 3 3.45%
I’ve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I haven’t got it yet. 2 2.30%
I’m qualified in my state or region and want it, but haven’t been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
I’m not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one. 0 0%
I’m opposed to the vaccine on principle and won’t get one. 2 2.30%
I’m waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
There’s no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
(The forum software won't allow me to change my vote in the poll from "had first shot" to "had both shots".)
Well, the poll ran for two weeks (it ends in a few hours). A very slow-mo snapshot! There must have been a fair amount of progression, at least I hope so, from “couldn’t schedule” to “scheduled” to “first shot” to “both shots.” It did show, I think, that MRers were having the same frustrations that you read of in the population at large; some were able to negotiate the system reasonably readily, or at least with a lot of time and effort, and for others it failed to work (until it did, for some).

I think the MR population as a whole skews old, hence the high percentage of responses of those in the process.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #107
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I almost DIED from the Flu shot TWICE! 1st time I was Sick 6 months1 2nd time a Year! You dont like it go take a Long Walk off a Short Bridge!
Sick with what? If it was Guillain Barré syndrome, the COVID vaccines haven't triggered that.
Advert
Old 02-26-2021, 11:34 PM   #108
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was trying to come up with every possible reaction, not condoning them. (And I missed a couple.) Some reactions aren’t rational. As it happens, one of the responses in this thread indicates an opinion along those lines, although the poster didn’t vote.
My concern is that that option is particularly misleading/confusing, given that there are other vaccines (the 'live' virus ones) that are contraindicated in immunocompromised folks.

It's already difficult enough to explain to people why the replication-deficient chimp adenovirus platform vaccine is safe when immunocompromised.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:49 AM   #109
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
I'm not qualified yet and is annoying seeing people try to jump the line. We don't have a website to check. They just said contact your pcp
Old 02-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #110
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Unfortunately, here in Canada the national guidelines put people with "underlying medical conditions" (you know, the ones that are always mentioned "oh she died but had a preexisting condition!" ) in stage 3. My province is taking it a step further and lumping us in with general population.

If I get COVID, I will likely end up hospitalized (and if it gets bad enough that medical professionals are forced to triage ventilators, I will die). But I am last in line for a vaccine.

apologies if this is overly political. I'm a little frustrated. And terrified.
I’m really sorry. Which province are you? I’m in Ontario and couldn’t be more infuriated by the last rollout news we got. They aim to start people over 60 on July 1st??!

I share your frustration and it’s definitely scary to see how younger high risk people are completely invisible.
Advert
Old 02-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #111
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Nova Scotia. We've actually been doing decently at keeping COVID out....so did New Brunswick and Newfoundland, until they had outbreaks.

The federals also diverted some of our vaccines to the territories. I dont have a problem with that, because an outbreak up there would be devastating, but it is hard not to be frustrated that they couldn't also take vaccines from the other provinces.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-27-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #112
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
...been doing decently at keeping COVID out...until they had outbreaks.
I think that statement describes every square inch of the planet.

"They were doing good, until they weren't". Yep, that about sums it up.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #113
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It even reached Antarctica!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:58 PM   #114
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Wooooow.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:08 AM   #115
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I think that statement describes every square inch of the planet.

"They were doing good, until they weren't". Yep, that about sums it up.
Australia has successfully suppressed every outbreak. The clusters are only caused by quarantine leaks from repatriated travellers, and procedures are being changed and tightened to minimise those leaks. We suppress them with brief lockdowns, border restrictions, widespread testing, masking/distancing, and rapid contact tracing and isolation. In Western Australia we've only spent one week with masking/movement restrictions since about May 2020. We can happily go to weddings, parties, restaurants, bars, concerts etc etc etc. My kid's a musician, and he hasn't been out of work throughout (apart from that week of lockdown). I think we've shown that an elimination strategy is great for the economy.

The worst outbreak was the Melbourne one in mid 2020 (there was a touch of dithering at the start and some superspreadery perfect storm situations with the index cases). The peak number of active cases in that outbreak was about 7000.

Last edited by meeera; 02-28-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #116
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't understand why you have added an "Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one." None of the COVID vaccines are live virus vaccines, and immunocompromise is an indication, not a contraindication.
Yup, my wife has had the Pfizer (both shots now) and she's on an extended oral chemo series for ovarian cancer. The hospital, the one that's treating her for cancer, has no qualms administering the vaccine. She had very very mild symptoms after each shot.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #117
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I got my first COVID-19 Pfizer vaccination shot this afternoon. I’m very impressed with the FEMA mega vaccination site they set up at Globe Life Park (the new Texas Rangers baseball park in Arlington, Texas). FEMA planned it out very well, and the Arlington FD and PD did a great job, and the workhorses of the site who did an excellent job were the active and/or reserve military medical group. They service 3,000 people a day. It took less than 30 minutes from walking through the front door until leaving, and that included the 15 minutes observation time afterwards.

The site is by invitation only which you get by registering with Tarrant County. Earlier sites in Dallas were supposed to be invitation only, but they took show ups too and kept running out of vaccines for those who had appointments. I think Dallas has corrected that issue now. This site I went to wouldn't let you in the parking lot if you didn’t have the confirmation email on your phone (or printed out). Then they gave you a pass card to get in the facility. The sites set up by cities and counties around have been rather chaotic, but this FEMA site was well done and very efficient.

I mentioned in an earlier post that you don’t get a choice of which vaccines they give you. That is because they only use the vaccine from one pharmaceutical company per vaccination site, and you get whichever one that site has. They randomly select which site to send you to. Once you get the first shot though, they make sure to give you the 2nd shot from the same pharmaceutical company. Personally I didn’t have a preference between the two pharmaceutical companies of Moderna and Pfizer. I’m not sure if Moderna’s vaccine is even available in my area. I would have liked the single shot from Johnson and Johnson, but those aren’t available yet.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-28-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #118
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that you don’t get a choice of which vaccines they give you. That is because they only use the vaccine from one pharmaceutical company per vaccination site, and you get whichever one that site has. They randomly select which site to send you to. Once you get the first shot though, they make sure to give you the 2nd shot from the same pharmaceutical company. Personally I didn’t have a preference between the two pharmaceutical companies of Moderna and Pfizer. I’m not sure if Moderna’s vaccine is even available in my area. I would have liked the single shot from Johnson and Johnson, but those aren’t available yet.
What happens if you have an allergy to an ingredient in one vaccine but not the other?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #119
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
What happens if you have an allergy to an ingredient in one vaccine but not the other?
Good question. I guess you would need to call the vaccination hotline in your location and see what they say. You might be able to mention that in the registration form you fill out.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #120
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dose 1 of Pfizer received. 2nd dose scheduled for April 5th
Closed Thread