Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #46
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Certainly, they didn't announce AudibleSync and then break everyone's Audible Manager right away. Get them while you can, because I suspect the AudibleSync announcement heralds the elimination of aax in the near future.
Oh, you voice of doom and gloom!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #47
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh, you voice of doom and gloom!
"Hope for the best; prepare for the worst."

I spent a lot of time this weekend catching up on downloading my titles to Audible Manager that I didn't already have. They might disable Download Manager for getting more titles but I don't think they will kill the ones I already have downloaded (at least until I buy a new computer). Still have about 100 to go, so I know what I will be doing on my holiday...
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My doom-and-gloom preparing for the worst has yielded a side benefit:
I noticed that one book in my Audible library can no longer be accessed. It's been removed from Audible's catalog, and though it still appears in my library, I can't play it or download it.

So there's one more example why some folks say to DeDRM and backup everything you own if you want to ensure you keep the access you're entitled to.

Why is losing a book a side "benefit" for me? 'Cuz I couldn't care less about that particular book--not even sure why I had it--and Audible gave me two credits in compensation for it disappearing. :-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #49
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
"Hope for the best; prepare for the worst."

I spent a lot of time this weekend catching up on downloading my titles to Audible Manager that I didn't already have. They might disable Download Manager for getting more titles but I don't think they will kill the ones I already have downloaded (at least until I buy a new computer). Still have about 100 to go, so I know what I will be doing on my holiday...
Quote:
My doom-and-gloom preparing for the worst has yielded a side benefit:
I noticed that one book in my Audible library can no longer be accessed. It's been removed from Audible's catalog, and though it still appears in my library, I can't play it or download it.

So there's one more example why some folks say to DeDRM and backup everything you own if you want to ensure you keep the access you're entitled to.

Why is losing a book a side "benefit" for me? 'Cuz I couldn't care less about that particular book--not even sure why I had it--and Audible gave me two credits in compensation for it disappearing. :-)
Do you mean you had never even downloaded more than a hundred Audible books? Wow.

I buy, I download, I convert. The exceptions are some freebies, like the Audible Originals they had previously been providing with membership. I went through my Audible books not that long ago to download and convert those as well. All that's left are the various free author interviews, which I won't bother with.

So there's no disaster in the offing that I need to prepare for. There's just the possible inconvenience in the future; if I knew for sure that I would no longer be able to download aax, I would use up all credits now.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #50
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Do you mean you had never even downloaded more than a hundred Audible books? Wow.

I buy, I download, I convert. The exceptions are some freebies, like the Audible Originals they had previously been providing with membership. I went through my Audible books not that long ago to download and convert those as well. All that's left are the various free author interviews, which I won't bother with.

So there's no disaster in the offing that I need to prepare for. There's just the possible inconvenience in the future; if I knew for sure that I would no longer be able to download aax, I would use up all credits now.
I have over 700 audiobooks in my account. I currently have around 100 I have not downloaded. Some were freebies I wasn't sure I wanted to keep long-term. My policy nowdays is download first evaluate later.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I have over 700 audiobooks in my account. I currently have around 100 I have not downloaded. Some were freebies I wasn't sure I wanted to keep long-term. My policy nowdays is download first evaluate later.
Yup. Buy it, download it, convert it. My standard workflow. Of course the new "freebies" can't be downloaded onto a PC or anything else that makes it feasible to convert, but that's fine -- I didn't pay for them, so I never thought I should "own" them. But the ones I paid for? Are all converted. Even went into my OLD username account (cancelled years ago) and downloaded all of those.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #52
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I was never in too much of a hurry to go through the backlog, but now that I was motivated, and found a good, automated way to doing it in bulk, I'm caught up, and I'll be immediately downloading and backing up new purchases from this point on.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #53
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I'm not convinced .aax or direct downloads are going away any time soon.

Mac users have always been able to download .aax directly from Audible website to import into iTunes or Apple Books (on desktop Mac), which then can transfer to and sync with iDevices. (Do Windows users with iDevices have a similar option??)

I have received no notification email from Audible that this is changing and there have been no changes to the support pages suggesting it will change: see bottom of this page and this page and this page.

So hopefully there is nothing to worry about

Last edited by odamizu; 12-16-2020 at 11:57 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that HAS changed in the last month or so -- they no longer use an ADH "helper file" but have you directly download the .aax. For me, this is mildly annoying, since I had inAudible set to be the default app for ADH files and to automatically convert to M4B. Now I have several extra clicks required.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #55
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One thing that HAS changed in the last month or so -- they no longer use an ADH "helper file" but have you directly download the .aax. For me, this is mildly annoying, since I had inAudible set to be the default app for ADH files and to automatically convert to M4B. Now I have several extra clicks required.

Wow, I hadn't noticed this, but this is hugely better for me.
Unless you spend a lot of time listening to audiobooks on your PC, just make inAudible the default app for .aax files, now you've saved several steps! Download, open, done.

In fact, for the last year or so, audible had not been downloading my .adh files with the .adh extension, they were all just called "adhhelper" or something, with no extension, so it was impossible to set ANY default app, and I had to drag and drop (or rename) the file.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I hadn't noticed this, but this is hugely better for me.
Unless you spend a lot of time listening to audiobooks on your PC, just make inAudible the default app for .aax files, now you've saved several steps! Download, open, done.

In fact, for the last year or so, audible had not been downloading my .adh files with the .adh extension, they were all just called "adhhelper" or something, with no extension, so it was impossible to set ANY default app, and I had to drag and drop (or rename) the file.
Wow, I like the direct download. I just picked up my first titles since the demise of Audible Manager, and it was so much quicker and easier.

I am unfamiliar with inAudible; I've been using aaxtomp3, and am mostly satisfied. I tried openAudible at one point and hated it; after uninstalling it I had a hard time getting aaxtomp3 running properly again. So I'm disinclined to test drive inAudible unless it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #57
CRussel
(he/him/his)

If you're happy with your solution, why change?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #58
ApK

Quote:
If you're happy with your solution, why change?
The obvious answer would be, hypothetically, if she didn't know that a faster, easier, higher quality option existed, she might want to change when she discovered it. If you don't know that sliced bread existed. You'd probably be happy ripping apart your loaf by hand...or however that metaphor is supposed to work....

Not saying it's the case here, just sayin'.

Last edited by ApK; 02-03-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Progress? Though usually after I try something new, I quickly revert back to the old.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #60
ApK

Quote:
Progress? Though usually after I try something new, I quickly revert back to the old.
That explains the hat in your avatar.