Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems that if you have a Kobo account through FNAC, the only way to fix it is to log out (reset the database) and create a Kobo account through Kobo and use that account. The database will be reset and you will have to start over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It seems that if you have a Kobo account through FNAC, the only way to fix it is to log out (reset the database) and create a Kobo account through Kobo and use that account. The database will be reset and you will have to start over.
And what about all those books the people have using their FNAC based Kobo account? You might not ever sync, but, a lot of people think it is a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And what about all those books the people have using their FNAC based Kobo account? You might not ever sync, but, a lot of people think it is a good idea.
For my kobo ebooks, I use the calibre plugin obok from DeDRM https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...tools/releases
With it you can import the books downloaded by the kobo app into calibre while removing the DRM.
Be careful, that plugin is not yet compatible with calibre 5.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
For my kobo ebooks, I use the calibre plugin obok from DeDRM https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...tools/releases
With it you can import the books downloaded by the kobo app into calibre while removing the DRM.
Be careful, that plugin is not yet compatible with calibre 5.
Yes, a lot of people do that. But, a lot more want to use the built-in syncing functions.

For those wanting to avoid the affiliate from changing, setting the file to read-only might work.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #20
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For those wanting to avoid the affiliate from changing, setting the file to read-only might work.
I tried setting the file as read-only.
The affiliation was changed back to fnac nonetheless and the file was still read-only.
Now the last thing I have to try is resetting my e-reader and using an account with no link to the fnac.
I'll keep you posted.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please do keep us posted, Dragoworld235 !

I suspect that this is the only solution but, as Davidfor suggested, it may have its disadvantages....

I'm not sure how to completely reset the account, so any simple clear advice on this would be more than welcome!

Last edited by Rojofo; 10-04-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #22
KittieHime
KittieHime began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a Glo HD bought from Fnac. Since I bought a Clara HD, I switched from my Fnac account to a Japanese Rakuten ID on the Glo HD but it still reverts to the Fnac affiliation from time to time.
KittieHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #23
ToasterxB
ToasterxB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T1
How about trying a affiliation like "bestbuyca" or "KoboIndigo". I have two canadian kobos with both these affiliations and no branding issues.

Last edited by ToasterxB; 10-06-2020 at 02:35 PM.
ToasterxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #24
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterxB View Post
How about trying a affiliation like "bestbuyca" or "koboindigo". I have two canadian kobos with both these affiliations and no branding issues.
Hi,

I tried several, issue seems to append when you sync the device.
While syncing the new firmware force the affiliate getting it from device or account.
As I mainly sync for firmware update, I change it back everytime.

I used a kobo account to register my kobo but i had link it to my fnac account to get back the books in my kobo account (got promotion or gift card for fnac), no way to "unlink" it on kobo site after ( https://secure.kobobooks.com/profile ).

The main problem is FNAC affiliate change device behavior while sleeping/poweroff, displaying FNAC logo instead of book cover.

As it is a change in the firmware and seems to get info back from account, it make me wonder if I buy a new device elsewhere than fnac if the affiliate will be set as fnac also in regards of the kobo account.

Regards,
nAhu

P.S : sorry for spelling and grammar
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
As it is a change in the firmware and seems to get info back from account, it make me wonder if I buy a new device elsewhere than fnac if the affiliate will be set as fnac also in regards of the kobo account.

Regards,
nAhu

P.S : sorry for spelling and grammar
The firmware is identical between Kobo affiliates so the changes are triggered off the affiliate.

As for your spelling and grammar? I suspect it's much better than mine would be in any language other than English.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #26
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The firmware is identical between Kobo affiliates so the changes are triggered off the affiliate.
What i meant is : as the firmware is the same on all devices if it takes an information from the kobo account then a "new device from another affiliate" activated with my actual account may be reset to a FNAC affiliate.
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
What i meant is : as the firmware is the same on all devices if it takes an information from the kobo account then a "new device from another affiliate" activated with my actual account may be reset to a FNAC affiliate.
My devices have a different affiliates, and I'm not sure why. I have bought them from three places, Kobo and two different stores (neither are book sellers). Some have Kobo, some have the store that currently sells them in Australia, and at least one has an affiliate for a book store that doesn't exist any more (Borders AU).

I don't remember which of the devices I have changed the affiliate on. I know I have changed some of them to Kobo in the past, but, I don't know if I have since the last time I did a factory reset on any of them. Looking at them now, I wonder if the affiliate is based on the serial number. The affiliate for the last three devices, do match where I bought them. But, the account was created a long time before these devices existed and was created without any connection to a store. Kobo should know what store any range of serial numbers were sold through.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #28
Rojofo
Zealot

Screensaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I bought all my Kobos from Fnac, substituted Fnac with Kobo (I don't think no name works), and I've never had any problem with it, though I do have a "Kobo through Fnac" account. But that might be because nowadays I have as a screensaver random pictures from the "screensaver" file I created in .kobo. You might use that (with a blank picture for instance) as a turn around.
Thank you for this information Anacreon. Could you please point me to a post explaining how to set up this "screensaver" file, indicating where I should put it and the exact name I should use ?

Thanks in advance,
Rojofo.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=358
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #30
Rojofo
Zealot

More on Fnac logo!

Thank you for this link, Peter.

Before using this solution to get rid of the annoying Fnac Logo replacing the book cover during sleep, I decided to try to reconfigure an older Kobo (Aura HD) by doing a factory reset and setting up the Kobo without an account so as not to connect to a Fnac account or indirectly to the Fnac through a Kobo account.

To do this I followed the tips given here:
https://www.yingtongli.me/blog/2018/...kobo-rego.html

Despite the challenges for me, with virtually no computer savvy, I managed to carry out the operation!
So the Kobo was set up without giving any email or setting up any account.

I then added a book using Calibre and, after removing the Kobo from the computer, closed the sleep cover. When I opened it, lo and behold!, there was the dreaded Fnac logo instead of the book cover.

I certainly can't say that my manipulations were without fault but I do believe that I did follow the instructions. I'm giving this information to help others who might be tempted to try this solution!

I'll continue looking for a solution before I adopt the screensaver method as I was very pleased to have the book cover display on my Kobo!

Tags
affiliate, fnac