Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Anyone using Unlimited (Throttled) Scribd?

Ugh. My husband started listening to another audiobook and the download of the one I was listening to was deleted from my phone and shows as unavailable until the next month’s billing date. After searching and fiddling it allowed me to keep listening for a bit longer (80 minutes it appears) as a “preview”. But that’s not long enough for me to finish the book since I’ve listened to 3 hours of the 18 hour audiobook.

I understand that they don’t want people listening to a lot of books, but removing a downloaded one instead of just blocking access to additional audiobooks is infuriating and makes little sense. My available ‘saved’ list has still has 5 audiobooks.

I just checked my phone data usage for the month and it appears that the app must be streaming using cellular data quite a bit instead of using the audiobook file downloaded to my phone. I found a way in settings to turn off cellular at least, but there was no reason for it to ever use it in the first place.

Two more strikes. I definitely will not be renewing the subscription.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-16-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just a reminder, but Downpour has audiobooks for rent and is currently running a sale for up to 75% off the rental rates. During the sale, many books are priced at $1.74 each.

Granted, their catalog is small (~18,000 titles) but if you find something you want to read and don't care if you own it, then you can save quite a bit.

See this post for further details about the program.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #18
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
I'm using the no credit card free trial.

So far, I've completed 1 audiobook and then 4 ebooks, all titles that aren't available at my library or local Overdrive. I have about 2 weeks left, so we'll see if I hit the limits before that.

I downloaded everything for offline use (but only 1 or 2 at a time as I finished, not all at once), and had no issues on a phone in airplane mode with no sim card. The app remembered my position in between sessions when I closed the app; no bookmarking required.

One annoying thing, is that even though I didn't use their app or website 'save' function to bookmark potential reads (I was actually just bookmarking in my browser), even just searching for authors/titles seemed to make the algorithm hit the 'unavailable' on one particular author/title when I went back to view it a second time.

This was with only the audiobook downloaded, too. I think I looked up about 10 titles when it happened.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

I understand that they don’t want people listening to a lot of books, but removing a downloaded one instead of just blocking access to additional audiobooks is infuriating and makes little sense. My available ‘saved’ list has still has 5 audiobooks.

I agree, that part is unacceptable. I haven't run into it myself but that would be enough for me to leave if it kept happening. If they need to, they could restrict how many could be downloaded and 'active', but it's not okay to remove downloads, especially if you are currently listening to it.

Too controlling

That hasnt happened to me and I'm still a happy member but I am using the downloaded files less since I found them glitchy.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I used the recent one month free offer (no credit card required) to finish listening to the downloaded audiobook that was removed during my earlier trial, but I won't be using the service past that.

I did like the concept, but the glitches and lack of transparency with the restrictions made it more trouble than it was worth.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Update, I managed to finish another 3 ebooks, so my total was 8 items completed on the trial, but only 1 of those was an audiobook -- I'm not much of an audio listener.

So I got quite a bit out of my month's use, but for those of you only wanting audio, agreed, it's probably not worth it.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #22
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran into too many issues listening to audio offline - not sure if it was the phone, or just the app - but I haven't run into issues when listening to it streaming.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
infectious
infectious began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
I've only seen Scribd offering "free e-books! Just log in!" and steered clear away. Too much weird stuff going on w/ the internet. Though I just now taken a peek and they've done quite a bit of revamping!

When I read Audible's terms - 3 books a month? That's it? And 2 of them HAVE to be 'an audible original'?! Um no. The modern pricing model for anything is subscription-based now and my pockets have holes in them or something.

I've been finding more and more audiobook oferings on my various local county library websites. Ebooks too, but not a massive selection.

I also buy a kindle book on sale for $.99 (out of sight out of mind for this reader!) and for $7.49 upgrade to get the Audible. Or find a prior e-book I purchased had that same offer to upgrade - and audio is the only I can get through books at the moment. It works.

Now I'm in the confusion of how to get the audios *out* of audible. I bought them after all! That's what I'm looking up now. Or trying to.
infectious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectious View Post
I've only seen Scribd offering "free e-books! Just log in!" and steered clear away. Too much weird stuff going on w/ the internet. Though I just now taken a peek and they've done quite a bit of revamping!

When I read Audible's terms - 3 books a month? That's it? And 2 of them HAVE to be 'an audible original'?! Um no. The modern pricing model for anything is subscription-based now and my pockets have holes in them or something.

I've been finding more and more audiobook oferings on my various local county library websites. Ebooks too, but not a massive selection.

I also buy a kindle book on sale for $.99 (out of sight out of mind for this reader!) and for $7.49 upgrade to get the Audible. Or find a prior e-book I purchased had that same offer to upgrade - and audio is the only I can get through books at the moment. It works.

Now I'm in the confusion of how to get the audios *out* of audible. I bought them after all! That's what I'm looking up now. Or trying to.
I am not longer a subscribing member to Audible but can listen to the books I previously purchased or grabbed fine through my account. The account still exists with available books. I've read a bit on getting them out of the account somehow but that seems complicated. There's a lot of protection on them. I do need to figure out how to back these up just in case.

I am still a member of Scribd and still loving the service. I never ran into some of the issues others have other than my phone being glitchy with offline files, but nothing is perfect and that was not a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #25
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
I’ve been using Scribd for a couple years now and find it to be a good service. That said I don’t do audible books all that much so haven’t had the issues some seem to be having.
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I remember trying Scribd back when it first came out and was truly unlimited. Not being able to read on my e-ink Kindles was a drawback, but I kept using it for a few months. I eventually stopped subscribing, and remember the hubbub when they began restricting titles.

Wasn't it the authors who were unhappy with the subscription model and pushed for the changes?

Not being able to read on e-ink devices was the reason I never cared to get back into the program.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #27
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
You can read on at least some e-ink devices. The app works fairly well on the Likebook Mars and Onyx Nova Pro.
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I don't rent many e-books from them since I have hundreds unread through purchasing and Kindle Unlimited. I mainly got them for Audiobooks. However, I have borrowed one or two and use my Kindle Fire for it. It does bum me that it does not work on e-ink, but that gives me another excuse to justify a Kindle Fire purchase -- this was before I got addicted to games on the tablet

As for the authors pushing for the change, not sure. I subscribed after all that. I don't mind some restrictions, honestly, due to the market. To me getting 2-4 audiobooks out of it for under 10 a month is an excellent deal. I don't listen to more than that regardless.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I finally did it and got throttled by Scribd by listening to a lot of audiobooks in October and a few e-book rentals. I'm on "break" from most of my audios that are saved on the website until 11/13

I haven't run into where an audiobook suddenly becomes available yet still, that would bug me more than the limiting that pops up sometimes.

I'm not surprised I ran into a cap and it doesn't actually bother me. I listened to a lot of children's related easy ones for challenges out of the halloween season. Total of Nine Audiobooks and One E-book Rental for month of October.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #30
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Reviving this tread to add some information

I’ve signed again and only used it for audiobooks, in this first month I listened to 3 audiobooks before coming across some restrictions, I’d say that about a 1/3 of my saved list appeared marked has «available after…», I’m listening to the 8th audio, and all but this one and another are available now, all the other 29 audios in my saved list are blocked.

Also this blockage affects the search, I searched for audiobooks from a specific narrator and had no results shown, I found it odd because I’ve seen some before so I logged out and searches again and there were several.
So it seems that if I want to search for new books I will have to do it before getting throttled.

I think it would be best to let us see which books are in scribd even if they are not available for me at the moment, this way I feel deceived, because If I search for something and it shows no results, I will think they are not available on scribd not that they are not available to me temporarily.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote