Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #61
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I’m having all kinds of iPadOS 13.1 issues, mostly minor, but annoying. I’m having a lot of keyboard issues in some apps like Numbers and Safari wherein the keyboard stops working. I’m also having issues with copy/paste/cut and selecting text. The keyboard issues are so bad that using my iPad is becoming difficult for times when I need the keyboard. I think they screwed things up with the introduction of the mini keyboard. They certainly didn’t think it all the way through or test it well enough.

iOS 13.1 seems pretty good though, just iPadOS giving me fits at the moment.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #62
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Are you trying to use it with a mouse? Cause I have noticed that the mouse input messes with the keyboard input sometimes. Particularly keyboard shortcuts.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #63
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Are you trying to use it with a mouse? Cause I have noticed that the mouse input messes with the keyboard input sometimes. Particularly keyboard shortcuts.
No mouse, just fingers. Its strange that the keyboard and its mini me misbehave in Apple apps more than in 3rd party apps. Hopefully they will get the bugs fixed soon.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #64
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Well as I’ve mentioned in earlier posts, I’ve had some quirky poop happening on my iPad Pro 9.7” with iPadOS 13.1 installed which I never had previously. I’ve had a lot of keyboard snafus including the onscreen keyboard refusing to type and selecting text nearly impossible. I had to reboot a couple of times last night to get the keyboard to work again.

But today was the biggest, scariest snafu to date. I had the Notes app side by side another app. I went to go back to viewing a single app by dragging the Notes app drag bar down and then up to the top of the screen to return to one app only. But instead it froze the screen on what you see in the attached screen capture. With the screen froze on that weird screen, I could swipe down to view the Notification screen, and from there I could swipe from the left side to view the widgets, but I couldn’t get any of them to run. I couldn’t get back to a Home screen. I couldn’t get the iPad to reboot by holding in the power button for several seconds. I could power off/on, but it returned to the frozen screen. Finally I called Apple CS and after a time they had me simultaneously hold down the Home + Power buttons, then it rebooted and cleared the frozen screen. However when the iPad rebooted it rebooted with Dark mode activated even though I always use Light mode. So it obviously screwed around with some of my settings.

The CS guy was really confused and not much help other than with rebooting. He had no clue why any of this poop happened. He got an earful though and I told him to document it thoroughly in case it happens again. I’ve always had good luck with Apple CS reps, but this guy was a bit slow and seemed awfully clueless.

To be clear, my iPad Pro 9.7” has never had any issues whatever prior to iPadOS being installed. Now I’m having quirkiness and issues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AAE7E62-C5EC-4FD0-B634-D98D3F12F701.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	174137  

Last edited by OtinG; 10-10-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #65
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I definitely do not like iPadOS on my Air2. However, I have found with the 13.1.2 update, I’m having far fewer issues than I was. IN facebook, however... I use an external Logitech keyboard (the Type+) and for a while it was having fits, but its fine now. Except in facebook. At times.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #66
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I guess Apple is eventually going to get the bugs worked out, and I understand iPadOS is the biggest update in a long time, but it sure is buggie! Considering how long it was in testing, it should not have had that many bugs. And even if the bugs were all fixed, they made some changes to the interface that I hate. They have added steps to accomplish things, never a good idea. It is mostly good stuff in iPadOS, but it will take a while to get used to it. In all the years I’ve had iPads, I’ve never seen as buggie of a release as iPadOS. Thankfully iOS 13.1 seems pretty stable and good.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #67
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'm ok with most of the changes, but I dislike having to swipe twice now to get to my widgets if I have an app open. It used to be so easy to swipe down once to see widgets...now you have to swipe down, then swipe from left to right to see them. Even if they are pinned, you have to return to the main Home screen to see them.

It occurred to me that it would be nice to have an Apple Pencil battery meter up by the iPad meter. At least in view when the pencil is in use, so no added gesture is needed to see the meter.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #68
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I’m noticing that in iPadOS I no longer get emoji suggestions when typing text. For example, I used to see the emoji for certain animals when I typed that animal’s name. Typing “gator” would cause the gator emoji to be suggested. I cannot get that to work now in iPadOS like it did in iOS 12.x.

ETA: iOS 13.1 still has emoji suggestions in some apps like Messages.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #69
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

iPadOS and iOS 13.2 Beta pulled after multiple reports of bricking iPad Pros

Interesting article on MacRumors titled "iOS 13.2 Beta 2 Bricking Some iPad Pro Models, Update Now Unavailable".

Way to go Apple. They definitely need a revamp in their firmware division...maybe a change of leadership. The current iPadOS 13.1.x is pretty awful on my iPad Pro 9.7". At least it wasn’t bricked though.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #70
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I am going to downgrade my iPads again, to 12.4.1... if Apple is still signing it. I’m just finding the bugs a PITA and I am not actually using any of the new stuff, so I have no need of it. On my phone, though, I’ll have to maintain it because WatchOS6.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #71
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I think I am going to downgrade my iPads again, to 12.4.1... if Apple is still signing it. I’m just finding the bugs a PITA and I am not actually using any of the new stuff, so I have no need of it. On my phone, though, I’ll have to maintain it because WatchOS6.
I’ve been thinking the same thing about my iPad Pro. I’ll have to research how to do it though as I’ve never had to in the past. My iPhone XR is doing great with iOS 13.1, but iPadOS just blows big chunks. Now I’m off to find out how to downgrade. Once they get iPadOS stable, I’ll consider upgrading.

ETA: Well bleep, we are too late, they quit signing 12.4.1. I hope this bites them in the a$$. What a buggy POS iPadOS has become.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-11-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #72
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’ve been thinking the same thing about my iPad Pro. I’ll have to research how to do it though as I’ve never had to in the past. My iPhone XR is doing great with iOS 13.1, but iPadOS just blows big chunks. Now I’m off to find out how to downgrade. Once they get iPadOS stable, I’ll consider upgrading.

ETA: Well bleep, we are too late, they quit signing 12.4.1. I hope this bites them in the a$$. What a buggy POS iPadOS has become.
Oh damn... Mind you, there should be ways and means. Going to check it out on my Mini which can sustain b0rking if necessary.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #73
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Oh damn... Mind you, there should be ways and means. Going to check it out on my Mini which can sustain b0rking if necessary.
I think there is a way to do it outside of the Apple sanctioned procedures, but I'm not that adventurous. I would hate to brick my only iPad. I guess I’ll just put up with the iPadOS quirks and hope they get the bugs fixed soon. Definitely staying far away from Catalina for at least a month or two though, and maybe even longer!
Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #74
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I think there is a way to do it outside of the Apple sanctioned procedures, but I'm not that adventurous. I would hate to brick my only iPad. I guess I’ll just put up with the iPadOS quirks and hope they get the bugs fixed soon. Definitely staying far away from Catalina for at least a month or two though, and maybe even longer!
Not this time, alas. Oh well. I decided to go with the larger icons (because I hate the small ones on a 9.7” screen) and I have unpinned the widget thingy from the front screen. Swiping will have to do.

The pic shows what you get when it fails. Its restoring to 13.1.2 now, and wiping everything that was on the mini 4. But thats OK there was nothing critical there and thats why I used it

[edit]Hrmmmm. For some reason best known to Apple (I suppose) the restore failed, and then the iPad became disabled. Never had that before. Had to put it in DFU mode and restore from there, once itunes detected an ipad in recovery. No idea what we are supposed to do once theres no itunes. Ah well, not upgrading to Catalina for a long time, if ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1D6BC7A-1FE8-4B97-9653-0F016F7D04E4.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	174194  

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #75
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Interesting article on MacRumors titled "iOS 13.2 Beta 2 Bricking Some iPad Pro Models, Update Now Unavailable".

Way to go Apple. They definitely need a revamp in their firmware division...maybe a change of leadership. The current iPadOS 13.1.x is pretty awful on my iPad Pro 9.7". At least it wasn’t bricked though.
Well, that's why they say that you should be careful about beta software. I don't hold it to the same standard that I do release software and I never put beta on my main machines.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote