Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
juniemarie
Enthusiast
juniemarie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Could someone help me figure this out?

Hi Im new here and found this site in a state of complete frustration.
I am a senior who because of health problems I have to spend quite a bit of time in bed.
I have been listening to audiobooks for several years and up until recently just checked the cd's out of my library.
This past year as the cd's I hadn't listened to got slimmer and slimmer I began listening during the day with Overdrive.
The problem Im having and need assistance with is I would like to start listening to the overdrive audiobooks at night but I can't keep leaving my computer on all night it gets quite hot, plus its a desktop and I have to get someone to carry it to my bedroom.
I have checked out a bunch of different type of equipment to transfer them to but nothing seems quite right.
Looked into Bluetooth speakers but I would need to leave my computer on. Various MP3 players but I have an iMac and I can't find any info on how well they work with Mac, and so many things don't work well with Mac.
I don't use cell phones and do not want to go that route. Cant swipe screens, don't want to fumble for glasses to read a small screen in the middle of the night if I need to rewind, the keypads are too small etc etc.
Then I though that maybe a chrome book would do but from a bit of reading I have done on the web about them that doesn't seem like a good option either.
That leaves me with a cheap laptop that is compatible with overdrive. Something that I could use just for audiobooks. At least I wouldn't have to worry about the thing being compatible with the Mac.
Does anyone have any ideas for me? Right now when she is able my granddaughter stops by and hauls my desktop into the bedroom but that can't continue.
I don't listen to audio books on the go like most people do, mainly because Im hardly ever on the go. Its the nighttime thats my primary time as they really help relax me and take me out of my head.
I would really appreciate any help or advice
juniemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Overdrive should work just fine on an Intel Mac. Not sure about a very old PowerPC one.

My first thought is that an IPad or Android Tablet would be your best bet.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
juniemarie
Enthusiast

I have no problem downloading overdrive audiobooks onto my Mac, but its a desktop and I need something I can listen to them at night when I go to bed. iPad Tablet? I don't know what they are Do they have screens you have to swipe?
If I got a laptop dedicated just to Overdrive could someone suggest an inexpensive one that would be compatible with overdrive. Then I could download on to it and bypass the Mac.
I don't know anything about PC's so not sure what to look for that would make the process easy for me to do.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Any inexpensive Windows laptop (since the cheapest Macbook would be around $800 I think) should work fine for something like Overdrive/Audiobooks.

Here are a couple of examples that should work great...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-...&skuId=4481400
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-...&skuId=4831400

Or here is one that's a bit better (more memory, a better processor)...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-ins...&skuId=4815400

I got a very similar model to the third option for my mother as a $300 Black Friday deal and she loves it (uses it for email, web surfing, word processing, etc.), but it's a little more powerful than you'd absolutely need.

Depending on budget another option would be to find a used laptop that's maybe a year or two old as anything remotely modern should run OverDrive's software fine. Pawn shops and small local computer shops are sometimes a good place for decent deals if you decide to go the used route. Also Goodwill's auction site (or even a local location) can have deals on laptops...
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...6&ending=Items

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-24-2016 at 12:05 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
juniemarie
Enthusiast

Thanks Anemicoak I think the cheap laptop PC is the way I will do it. All other options seem to lead to a dead end.
I don't need anything more powerful since its only for Overdrive audiobooks.
My desk top iMac works fine for all of my simple needs. It also works fine for downloading the overdrive audiobooks Its just not in the room I need it to be in and its not very portable.
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniemarie View Post
Thanks Anemicoak I think the cheap laptop PC is the way I will do it. All other options seem to lead to a dead end.
I don't need anything more powerful since its only for Overdrive audiobooks.
My desk top iMac works fine for all of my simple needs. It also works fine for downloading the overdrive audiobooks Its just not in the room I need it to be in and its not very portable.
You can get a Windows equivalent of a Chromebook for around $150. They're more than powerful enough for audiobooks. These laptops don't have DVD drives and their biggest drawback is the built-in storage - usually 16GB. But you have the option of adding a USB drive and/or mSD card for additional storage. 32GB and 64GB are really cheap ($10~$20).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
juniemarie
Enthusiast

tube monkey Hey thanks for that info I don't know anything about PC's or Windows! That price sounds very reasonable
I don't think I need lots of storage or DVD drive, remember I have a huge iMac desktop that is unless they would help with the audiobook thing
Could you point me in the direction of a windows chrome book please. Just give me brand names and i should be able to take it from there
Looks like I may be getting closer to the solution to my problem. Thank goodness for that as last night I carried my iMac desktop into the bedroom and thats a real no no at my age
Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
tube monkey Hey thanks for that info I don't know anything about PC's or Windows! That price sounds very reasonable
I don't think I need lots of storage or DVD drive, remember I have a huge iMac desktop that is unless they would help with the audiobook thing
Could you point me in the direction of a windows chrome book please. Just give me brand names and i should be able to take it from there
Looks like I may be getting closer to the solution to my problem. Thank goodness for that as last night I carried my iMac desktop into the bedroom and thats a real no no at my age
I'll get back to you shortly with some recommended Winbooks and prices.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Besides OverDrive, have you received any audiobooks from other sources - Audible, Downpour, LibriVox, Old Time Radio, etc? These sources are additional options for your listening pleasure.

We have a thread dedicated to audiobook offers and I keep a list of these offers in the first post; including over 100 free audiobooks that are professionally narrated.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
juniemarie
Enthusiast

tube monkey would this do the job

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-F...3a8b79&veh=cse

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-24-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
juniemarie
Enthusiast

or this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-F...ws-10/46664254
Old 03-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Those are touchscreen Windows tablets with keyboards. I don't know anything about this brand. Although the prices are low, I'm a bit leary about them. If I were to add a keyboard to a tablet, I'd start with a quality tablet (Amazon, Samsung, etc) and add a keyboard.

If I want a keyboard, I'll use my laptop and not a tablet. But that's me and others will differ; and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
juniemarie
Enthusiast

Ok well nice Ive never used any of these things Im not sure about the differences. And since its only for playing overdrive I was attracted to the low price! I will
search a bit more
Old 03-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
juniemarie
Enthusiast

Yes it has to have a keyboard because I can't handle touch screens or swiping either. If I wake in the night I need to be able to easily, without turning on the light and fumbling for my glasses, be able to go back or forward to find the place I was at when I fell asleep.
Although I prefer a mouse I do fairly well with those track pads..not sure thats what they are called that are on most laptops.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Although I prefer a mouse I do fairly well with those track pads..not sure thats what they are called that are on most laptops.
As long as the laptop has a USB port (pretty much all do) you can get an inexpensive wireless mouse (or could use a wired one I suppose) and use that instead of the track pad. That's what I usually do with my laptop.

I believe this is the type of system Tubemonkey was talking about earlier...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Sa...-Home/46784947
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote