Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Anyone Use Sound Taxi?

I'm using Sound Taxi to convert audio files to MP3. The problem is it sooooooooooooo slow. Any suggestions?

I'm using Windows 7. Sound Taxi Platinum 4.5.4

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Paegan2246; 03-21-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: to add version
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Audio files = Audible audiobooks?

AAX2MP3 is a really simple converter and much faster.

It will, however, create one large file per each Audible file. I have no idea how to intelligently break those up (e.g., break at chapters, rather than at just 20 minute intervals).

The buttons are in German, but I found instructions in the comments sections (and really, there's only 2 - top one lets you select the file, button one begins the conversion process. File is saved in the same directory as the original AAX).

AAX is the "Enhanced" format Audible files. So you may have to redownload your audiobooks if you don't currently choose that format.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Fizzy. I will give AAX2MP3 a try. I have some basic German so that's not a problem. I just hate that I paid good money for Sound Taxi and it is so slow as to be practically unusable. Yes, it is Audible.com files I'm converting. It took over an hour to convert one 3 part book using Sound Taxi. Their customer service has been no help. I emailed them 9 days ago and no response.

Last edited by Paegan2246; 03-21-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
Thanks Fizzy. I will give AAX2MP3 a try. I have some basic German so that's not a problem. I just hate that I paid good money for Sound Taxi and it is so slow as to be practically unusable. Yes, it is Audible.com files I'm converting. It took over an hour to convert one 3 part book using Sound Taxi. Their customer service has been no help. I emailed them 9 days ago and no response.
I don't have SoundTaxi - but one thing you might be able to do with it is split up those big files after AAX2MP3 converts them.

That would be worth it to me, but when I looked into the SoundTaxi website it always looked so fly-by-night to me that I was afraid to give them any of my financial information. I suspect it also has other options that AAX2MP3 doesn't (like better bitrates, or whatever).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I used SoundTaxi for a long time--the cheapest and slowest paid version. I didn't really mind the time it took to convert the files; I'd usually just let it run in the background or overnight. But once I tried aaxtomp3, that became my go-to, for the speed. It does work on aa files as well as aax; you just have to type in the name of the aa file. Bitrate is only 64; you can't change that as you can with SoundTaxi.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
dBpoweramp

I used to use dBpoweramp and it worked well and very quickly to convert my audible titles; but now just use the Audible app on my various devices.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I used SoundTaxi for a long time--the cheapest and slowest paid version. I didn't really mind the time it took to convert the files; I'd usually just let it run in the background or overnight. But once I tried aaxtomp3, that became my go-to, for the speed. It does work on aa files as well as aax; you just have to type in the name of the aa file. Bitrate is only 64; you can't change that as you can with SoundTaxi.
Do you notice the difference in bitrate when listening to audiobooks? I tried
aaxtomp3 and it is noticeably faster.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Do you notice the difference in bitrate when listening to audiobooks? I tried
aaxtomp3 and it is noticeably faster.
Not really.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

Good..guess I will ditch SoundTaxi. Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
There is a new version of AAXtoMP3 that allows splitting to individual chapters and other improvements. You have to look in Ticket 16 and download from there.
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Foobar2000. It's free and works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizj1 View Post
There is a new version of AAXtoMP3 that allows splitting to individual chapters and other improvements. You have to look in Ticket 16 and download from there.
I Google Ticket16 and all I get is sports locations. Do you have a link?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I Google Ticket16 and all I get is sports locations. Do you have a link?
https://sourceforge.net/p/aaxtomp3/tickets/
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
here you go https://sourceforge.net/p/aaxtomp3/tickets/16/
OOps, should have read to the end
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

I just installed and used the upgrade. Nifty little program..so much faster than SoundTaxi. Thanks all!