Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't think the speakers draw power from the player, although I've never really known how to confirm it. The speakers don't have a volume control - they're like corded headphones.

Sony has had a few different versions - they call them "passive" (e.g., here).

The nice thing about the first one is they fold up flat, and the cord wraps around the base of the spreaker. However, that design is also (I believe) why Sony stopped making them. Given that they were intended to be "portable" - you'd figure you can lug them around. But I've broken the "cover / base" off almost every one I have. (I think I have half a dozen of these lying around if I dig). When they stopped making them I bought a handful of them.

The two I have going now (one at the office, one at home), I put a strip of duct tape on the little plastic tag that holds the (heavy) speaker to the base/cover. So they've not broken when they tipped or were knocked off the table - so far.

ETA: What do you know - still available for a measly $75 on the US site! Ridiculous.
OK, thanks. For traveling, I just stick with a small corded speaker. Bluetooth would be nicer, but it eats away at my device's battery too fast; and charging sources may not be readily available.

$75
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Yeah, I noticed that someone had it listed as "new and still sealed" on the "Used" tab, but they're listing it at 55+shipping. You could always track it somewhere, see if someone finally drops the price just to get rid of it. If you lived closer, I'd just give you one of my half-cracked ones I moved a couple of years ago, and every now and again I come across yet another one. I hate throwing away a working speaker, just because the base no longer attaches.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't think the speakers draw power from the player, although I've never really known how to confirm it. The speakers don't have a volume control - they're like corded headphones.

Sony has had a few different versions - they call them "passive" (e.g., here).
Speakers don't draw power directly but generally you will need to turn up the volume to drive speakers to get a sound you like. This extra volume will reduce the battery life a bit. Speakers tend not to be as efficient as ear buds.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Speakers don't draw power directly but generally you will need to turn up the volume to drive speakers to get a sound you like. This extra volume will reduce the battery life a bit. Speakers tend not to be as efficient as ear buds.
That makes sense. I have tried a few different versions of "passive speakers" and some were better than others. The no-longer-manufactured Sony TP1 was the best of the ones I tested.

These days, I use it with a Sony iPod Classic (sadly, also no-longer-manufactured). It's my one-and-only iThing. On weekends, I might have it going all day. I put it on a charger when I go to bed.

I've never tested it with my phone.

And I've never tested it both ways (passive speaker vs headphones, or even passive speakers vs. powered speaker) to say how much juice it drains.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote