Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Best corded speaker for audiobooks?

I listen to books on my iPod touch, and it sounds like the narrator is reading through a catheter tube. So I'd like a small, corded speaker that's portable but won't "fill the house with BOOMBOX SOUND".

Bluetooth is overkill, and would drain the battery pretty hard so I'd be hooking it up via cable. Standard PC speakers won't do either since those are much less portable and require an outlet.

I'm currently leaning towards the Amazon Basics:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-P.../dp/B00EHZYWGM

Since that's a little bigger than an iPhone, and seems to have ok sound based upon the reviews. Weather-proofed would also be overkill.

Suggestions? thanks!
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
While I know you say bluetooth is overkill, the jawbone mini jambox works pretty well for me. It will run off the recharge cable. I also have a small cabled portable speaker. The big issue that I have with it is that it has to be within a foot or so of the iPhone/iTouch and connected. I found the combination cumbersome.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have this GOgroove speaker. (If you change your mind about Bluetooth, there's also a Bluetooth version.)

I especially like that I can play audio from USB drives and SD cards as well as from my mp3 player.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
My son got this speaker last week. It sounds good, it is pretty loud. The only thing I would say against it is that it is kind of bass heavy. I'm not sure you would want that with strictly audio books. He had one he had picked up at Radio Shack when they were going out of business here. It is much less bass heavy so he gave it to his dad to listen to baseball games on. Hubby says that they sound better to him without so much bass. I'm not sure if audio books correlate or not.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have these three mini speakers. They were all under $20 when I bought them. My favorite is the Photive Bluetooth speaker.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone, I picked up two speakers. The Go Groove and a UE Boom. WOW what a difference! I cranked up Star Wars: Thrawn trilogy on my Audible, and it's like being inside a Star Wars movie.

Night and day compared to a tablet or iPhone speaker.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
Thanks everyone, I picked up two speakers. The Go Groove and a UE Boom. WOW what a difference! I cranked up Star Wars: Thrawn trilogy on my Audible, and it's like being inside a Star Wars movie.

Which one do you like better?
S
Old 09-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Which one do you like better?
The UE Boom (obtained from best buy) has a "voice" equalizer setting that fills the room with the book. Especially lightsaber duels, and anything that introduces extra bass. Gave Dune a try too, and the speaker brings new depth to the title.

The Go Groove should be here Wednesday.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

Quite a price difference between the two you bought!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
silverraven
Guru

Quote:
The UE Boom (obtained from best buy) has a "voice" equalizer setting that fills the room with the book. Especially lightsaber duels, and anything that introduces extra bass. Gave Dune a try too, and the speaker brings new depth to the title.

The Go Groove should be here Wednesday.
I'm thinking the UE Boom is a weeeee bit out of my price range!! Though next time I'm in Best Buy I will give it a listen if they have it on display. Unfortunately I do love shiny toys.
S
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Gave Dune a try too, and the speaker brings new depth to the title.
It also sounds great on my Amazon Echo.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
While it may be counter intuitive with the title of this forum being issues but the intent (as read in the description) is that all hardware related topics belong in this forum while audiobooks themselves belong in the other. I have moved this tread so that future users looking for a similar solution will be able to find it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've still got a couple of these that I really like. But they're pretty impossible to find any more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Compact.../dp/B000OQ7S0U

They're not great for music, but I love that they don't require any power source.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've still got a couple of these that I really like. But they're pretty impossible to find any more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Compact-Speaker-Players-SRS-TP1-White/dp/B000OQ7S0U

They're not great for music, but I love that they don't require any power source.
How does it affect the battery life of your player?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't think the speakers draw power from the player, although I've never really known how to confirm it. The speakers don't have a volume control - they're like corded headphones.

Sony has had a few different versions - they call them "passive" (e.g., here).

The nice thing about the first one is they fold up flat, and the cord wraps around the base of the spreaker. However, that design is also (I believe) why Sony stopped making them. Given that they were intended to be "portable" - you'd figure you can lug them around. But I've broken the "cover / base" off almost every one I have. (I think I have half a dozen of these lying around if I dig). When they stopped making them I bought a handful of them.

The two I have going now (one at the office, one at home), I put a strip of duct tape on the little plastic tag that holds the (heavy) speaker to the base/cover. So they've not broken when they tipped or were knocked off the table - so far.

ETA: What do you know - still available for a measly $75 on the US site! Ridiculous.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-06-2015 at 08:26 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote