Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #16
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I use the silence finder (set at 3 seconds) in Audacity to find the chapter breaks. I check the breaks, mark the chapter numbers in the label track, then use the export multiple files command.

The drawbacks are the time involved to export the files and the supposed quality loss with re-encoding.
http://www.audiobookcutter.com/index.html
I have used this program in the past and really liked it. When I got it all versions were free, but that was years ago. I don't remember what version number it was, something like 0.65, but I do remember that it's silence detection was pretty darn good. I'm sure it is just as good or better now.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
http://www.audiobookcutter.com/index.html
I have used this program in the past and really liked it. When I got it all versions were free, but that was years ago. I don't remember what version number it was, something like 0.65, but I do remember that it's silence detection was pretty darn good. I'm sure it is just as good or better now.
S
It looks like I would need to pay $27 for the Pro version to replicate what I do with Audacity now. I don't know that it's worth it to me just to avoid the re-encoding.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I saw that, but the page looked so....1990s?....that I wasn't sure how trustworthy it is. It's always good to hear someone's actually used it and it didn't turn install a Trojan or something!

Oops: forgot to mention I tried something called mp3splt (open source, free) that's supposed to be able to break by silence and not re-encode. Absolutely no manual on the GUI version (only descriptions of the command line options). In the short amount of time I was willing to futz around with it, I couldn't get it to work. But reading the description makes it sound like a good tool once you can figure out how to make it work.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 AM   #19
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I tried mp3splt too. The GUI was confusing. It's one of the down sides of open source sometimes - too much choice. Anyway, I did get it to work on a short file as a test - but it created 200+ files. So I fiddled with the settings and tried again with an actual audiobook file. It chugged away for a few minutes, the progress bar hit 100% and then it just sat there. I left it running for a while in case it would eventually do something, but after about 10 minutes I killed it.

Shame really, it looked like it might be useful.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I chatted with someone at Audible this morning, and she said the limits are three of each device type, and 4 computers. She reset my Sandisk devices and now I can do what I was trying to do. I must have had one of my kids' Sandisk Clip Zips authorized.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I chatted with someone at Audible this morning, and she said the limits are three of each device type, and 4 computers. She reset my Sandisk devices and now I can do what I was trying to do. I must have had one of my kids' Sandisk Clip Zips authorized.
I think I have had my devices count reset for about 4 times already... They should finally implement something like Amazon has (aren't they a part of Amazon anyway?) where you can remove devices yourself...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I generally have to reset devices and computers for Audible once to twice a year. And this over the 20+ years I've been an Audible subscriber with multiple accounts (my wife's, my Canadian account, and my (Amazon linked) US account. I've NEVER had any issue at all. Not only do both of us upgrade/change devices regularly, but because of the writing we do, we are constantly rebuilding/reinstalling operating systems on multiple computers. Some years my daily workstation was getting a Windows build every WEEK. I've always found Audible support to be both efficient and understanding.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I generally have to reset devices and computers for Audible once to twice a year. And this over the 20+ years I've been an Audible subscriber with multiple accounts (my wife's, my Canadian account, and my (Amazon linked) US account. I've NEVER had any issue at all. Not only do both of us upgrade/change devices regularly, but because of the writing we do, we are constantly rebuilding/reinstalling operating systems on multiple computers. Some years my daily workstation was getting a Windows build every WEEK. I've always found Audible support to be both efficient and understanding.
I still want to at least see on what devices I have it installed. I think I only have my phone active now, but I'm not sure...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still want to at least see on what devices I have it installed. I think I only have my phone active now, but I'm not sure...
Oh, I agree. It would be good to be able to see which devices and/or computers you have activated. And to be able to manipulate that list.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, I agree. It would be good to be able to see which devices and/or computers you have activated. And to be able to manipulate that list.
It doesn't show my Clip Zips or computer, but "Manage my devices" in my linked Amazon account shows all my devices, iOS and Android, on which I've installed the Audible app, and it lets you deauthorize them, also.

Oh, a slight caveat - sometimes the names they give the devices don't tell you much, as in "issy's third Audible for Android," but you can rename them so they make more sense.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It doesn't show my Clip Zips or computer, but "Manage my devices" in my linked Amazon account shows all my devices, iOS and Android, on which I've installed the Audible app, and it lets you deauthorize them, also.

Oh, a slight caveat - sometimes the names they give the devices don't tell you much, as in "issy's third Audible for Android," but you can rename them so they make more sense.
Hm, I checked that. It shows an Android device (could be my Galaxy Note 8, but I'd have to check) but not the device I know I have activated, namely my phone. That one does show up as a kindle app device (even though it shows the wrong OS, the Lumia 920 never had a windows phone 7 OS!)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Hm, I checked that. It shows an Android device (could be my Galaxy Note 8, but I'd have to check) but not the device I know I have activated, namely my phone. That one does show up as a kindle app device (even though it shows the wrong OS, the Lumia 920 never had a windows phone 7 OS!)
It's very confusing for me also, but I can't tell what I can safely delete/deactivate. Easier to just ignore!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's very confusing for me also, but I can't tell what I can safely delete/deactivate. Easier to just ignore!
If you go to the Kindle App on your device and check the settings, it will give you the 'send to' email address. Then you can check that in your devices on Amazon.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
If you go to the Kindle App on your device and check the settings, it will give you the 'send to' email address. Then you can check that in your devices on Amazon.
All my kindle apps have correct names, but you can't check what the Audible app is. I got one Audible app in that list and that might be my Samsung tablet, but it could also be my old HTC tablet. And my phone, which I know has Audible activated is not in that list. That's the most confusing part.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #30
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
All my kindle apps have correct names, but you can't check what the Audible app is. I got one Audible app in that list and that might be my Samsung tablet, but it could also be my old HTC tablet. And my phone, which I know has Audible activated is not in that list. That's the most confusing part.
Yes I can see where that would be confusing. Mine lists my iPhone, iPad Air, iPad 3, and android tablet. The android tablet doesn't say which tablet like the Apple tablets do.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote