Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audiobook Software Recommendations

I use OverDrive and Audible, since those are my two major sources for audiobooks; but I'm in the market for a third party player and would love to see what others use and why.

Recommendations.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-12-2014 at 02:24 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use Smart AudioBook Player which is $2 for the full version. It works great for MP3 Audiobooks. I use this instead of Overdrive. One feature that is awesome is it recaps what you last listen to according how long it was paused. Great if you are in that great big suspenseful scene and have to get the phone because it's an important call and forgot what the last words were. You can have multiple bookmarks just like in a real book. you can change speeds too.

I uninstalled Akimbo after finding this gem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I use Audible player on my iPhone, primarily. And have no problem adding books to it via iTunes for books I get from somewhere other than Audible. (Tip: Convert MP3 books to m4b format to ensure that iTunes sees them as a book, not music.) Then, in the Audible player, change the settings to ensure that it also plays from the iTunes books on the device.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I use MortPlayer Audio Books on my Android...Its free, no ads and it works very well with mp3 audiobooks (and more). it looks at folders, plays in order and saves your last location. On top of that it allows you to save other bookmarks manually. Love it, all i use. OT: Though since I got my galaxy s4 i am torn when it comes to music. Mortplayer also has a music player, but I cannot use voice command with it like i can the galaxy player so I flip back and forth between the two.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I use MortPlayer Audio Books on my Android...Its free, no ads and it works very well with mp3 audiobooks (and more). it looks at folders, plays in order and saves your last location. On top of that it allows you to save other bookmarks manually. Love it, all i use. OT: Though since I got my galaxy s4 i am torn when it comes to music. Mortplayer also has a music player, but I cannot use voice command with it like i can the galaxy player so I flip back and forth between the two.
I use MortPlayer as well and I like it; it's quite nifty.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Since all my audiobooks come from audible, and since I mostly use Apple devices, I pretty much stick with iTunes and the Audible app. I use iTunes in the car on an iTouch since I like to use playlists to arrange the books in a given order and since it will finish one book and move on to the next without me having to take my attention from the road. The downside is that if you activate iCloud, then you can't use audiobooks in playlists.

At work I tend to use the audible app, but frankly neither solution is all that satisfying. Both are somewhat lacking with regards to flexibility and syncing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use OverDrive and Audible, since those are my two major sources for audiobooks; but I'm in the market for a third party player and would love to see what others use and why.
What OS?

I only use Audible (no idea where to use OverDrive for, isn't that a checkout app for public libraries?) on my Windows Phone and Android tablet. My Windows tablet only has ebooks, no audio books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What OS?

I only use Audible (no idea where to use OverDrive for, isn't that a checkout app for public libraries?) on my Windows Phone and Android tablet. My Windows tablet only has ebooks, no audio books...
Android

OverDrive is for public libraries.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I use MortPlayer as well and I like it; it's quite nifty.
Dittos on Mort. I tried out about 4 PD audiobook players (mp3) before I settled on it. I especially like that if I fat-finger a title and more to the next track, it remembers where I was on the last one even without a bookmark and I can pick right back up where I was.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Android

OverDrive is for public libraries.
Ah, those are about non-existent here (ebooks at public libraries that is...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
On my Android phone, I use Listen Audiobook Player, which I highly recommend, for just about all audiobooks except Audible. It does the configurable-rewind-based-on-pause-time thing too, which I agree is nice.
I use the Audible app for Audible books, but, man, I hate that app. I wish there were convenient alternatives.

I used Mort for a while, but it had a few key annoyances for me, and development seems to have stopped long ago.
My wife and I tried Smart and a few others after that. Listen won out for both of us.

Last edited by ApK; 09-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
On my Android phone, I use Listen Audiobook Player, which I highly recommend, for just about all audiobooks except Audible. It does the configurable-rewind-based-on-pause-time thing too, which I agree is nice.
I use the Audible app for Audible books, but, man, I hate that app. I wish there were convenient alternatives.

I used Mort for a while, but it had a few key annoyances for me, and development seems to have stopped long ago.
My wife and I tried Smart and a few others after that. Listen won out for both of us.
Thanks I've got some Play money from their survey app. I'll have to grab this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I made a list in the OP and will keep it updated as more recommendations come in. I haven't had time to test any of them, but will do so soon.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #14
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I use both Mort and Smart. I think I have decided to just stay with Smart, but still haven't deleted Mort. In fact, I was using it yesterday in testing a problem I was having with the OD app.

I checked on Listen after seeing it mentioned here. I know it's only .99, but it irks me to not be able to try a free version of it first. I don't like buying something I can't return without being able to really test it. I think Google gives 15 mins to return an app? That's not long enough for me. So on general principle, I'm not going to buy it. (Unless of course, so many people here start saying it's the only way to go! Geee, I think I'm a bit wishy-washy! )
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I know it's only .99, but it irks me to not be able to try a free version of it first. I don't like buying something I can't return without being able to really test it. I think Google gives 15 mins to return an app? That's not long enough for me.
Then you didn't bother to read the app the description:

Quote:
7 Day Refund Policy
Try it risk free for a week. If you would like to request a refund send me the order number found in the receipt Google emails you at the time of purchase.

It is difficult to fix problems reported via Play Store Comments, please use email!
For fast and friendly support: support@acme-android.com
The developer feels the same way you do.

Speaking of the dev, I have been in contact with him several times since buying the app, and he has always been friendly and responsive, to the point of making me a special build to isolate a problem with my car stereo's Bluetooth controls.

Last edited by ApK; 09-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote