Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #406
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
If sleep is shown as an option on Android it's a bug in KOReader.

As to reverse vertical rotation, if that doesn't work it's probably a bug (or a feature) in that hacked Android for Kindle.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:40 AM   #407
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post

As to reverse vertical rotation, if that doesn't work it's probably a bug (or a feature) in that hacked Android for Kindle.
It is a known limitation on most phones. Reverse portrait is not an option there. It should work fine on proper tablets (ie: an aosp product that inherits from tablet instead of phone) or in custom roms, such as LineageOS.

If the device does autorotation to reverse portrait in other apps it should work fine in KO after selecting it. If the device ignores gravity on that particular rotation it will as well ignore our request to do so.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #408
Joeyy
Joeyy began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
It is a known limitation on most phones. Reverse portrait is not an option there. It should work fine on proper tablets (ie: an aosp product that inherits from tablet instead of phone) or in custom roms, such as LineageOS.

If the device does autorotation to reverse portrait in other apps it should work fine in KO after selecting it. If the device ignores gravity on that particular rotation it will as well ignore our request to do so.
autorotation to reverse portrait is ok. If I turn on the auto rotate option in the android setting, it works fine.
Joeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:14 AM   #409
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyy View Post
autorotation to reverse portrait is ok. If I turn on the auto rotate option in the android setting, it works fine.
That's a broken rom. Nothing fixable on our end.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:13 PM   #410
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Hm, I just installed KOreader on a new Nova Air 2. It seems like any time I navigate to the home folder where all my books are stored, it takes KOreader about thirty seconds to cope with it and the app sometimes throws up an Android "KOreader is not responding" message. If I navigate down, it becomes friendly, then hangs again when I navigate back up a folder. This also means that the app takes 30 seconds every time I quit and restart.

I have about 1200 books on my device, and KOreader never had this problem on the original Nova Air, which is supposed to be nearly identical except that the new one has an improved processor and software.

Does anybody have an idea of what's going on here?

EDIT: Doing some experimenting with removing all my books from the device and starting again, it seems like KOreader functions just fine when I've only uploaded a few books to the device, but once I have about 300 books in the Books folder, navigating to and from that folder, including startup, becomes noticeably slower.

Last edited by Rand Brittain; 11-29-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #411
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you mean you have 1200 files all right there in your home folder rather than divided across several subfolders then that could take a little while, although I mean that in the sense of a second or even two, not over 30. In that case try subdividing them into multiple subfolders. It shouldn't be that slow at it regardless though. Could it be a slow SD card?
Old 11-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #412
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
If you mean you have 1200 files all right there in your home folder rather than divided across several subfolders then that could take a little while, although I mean that in the sense of a second or even two, not over 30. In that case try subdividing them into multiple subfolders. It shouldn't be that slow at it regardless though. Could it be a slow SD card?
No, it's definitely divided into folders, and there's no SD card.

It looks like the Nova Air 2 isn't officially supported by KOreader yet, so I've sent in the requisite information and we'll see if whatever it is they do as a result of that fixes the issue.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:55 AM   #413
Frenzie
Wizard

Support from KOReader only refers to directly driving the E Ink screen with dedicated instructions for a better experience. Everything else is just Android.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #414
pazos
cosiñeiro

Onyx devices are crap. My suggestion would be to return your device.

If you don't want or you can't you will need to

a) Wait hours/days until the MediaScanner finish indexing stuff

or

b) Put your files in a hidden folder (a folder with .nomedia is the standard android behaviour, not sure if it will work with The borked company tm

If, after a few days of let it indexing, you still experience the same slowness then return your unit. It is faulty (even faultier than normal )

Originally posted in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ent-1332012289
Old 12-01-2022, 03:30 PM   #415
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Onyx devices are crap. My suggestion would be to return your device.
That's a strong statement

What's crap about them - the hardware? Android? Whatever Onyx write on top of Android?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #416
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
All of the above? ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #417
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Should I interpret that as "WontFix", or "Oh, I'll fix it, but you're gonna hear about it at length while I do"?
Old 12-02-2022, 02:14 AM   #418
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's... nothing to fix as it's not our bug?

Looking at your logs, as mentioned above, either MediaScanner is throwing a wrench into everything, or the Onyx power management stuff is tripping a standby during loading (the one may be compounding the other, or vice-versa). Those are two things we have no traction on, and at least one of those one is very much Onyx being Onyx .

If forcing MediaScanner to skip your library tree doesn't help as recommended by @pazos above, then, no, you're SOL.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-02-2022 at 02:24 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:29 AM   #419
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
All of the above? ;o).
Ha!

On the software side there's obviously been the Android 10 to 11 change, and then something more subtle has meant that the Google Play Store is now preinstalled versus having to register the device and wait for it to be somehow blessed. Maybe that means Onyx are now doing a better job at the software side? Or have they just paid Google more money?

At least they iterate quite fast on the hardware side. Well maybe that's not great, maybe they should spend more time on getting each iteration "right" instead of just shipping it.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #420
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's... nothing to fix as it's not our bug?

Looking at your logs, as mentioned above, either MediaScanner is throwing a wrench into everything, or the Onyx power management stuff is tripping a standby during loading (the one may be compounding the other, or vice-versa). Those are two things we have no traction on, and at least one of those one is very much Onyx being Onyx .

If forcing MediaScanner to skip your library tree doesn't help as recommended by @pazos above, then, no, you're SOL.
Ah, I see. (I'm completely unable to interpret the logs myself.) I was really just wondering whether I should interpret the devs telling me that Onyx devices are terrible and that I should return them as an indication that you won't be supporting it at all.

I'll try setting MediaScanner to skip the library and see if it does anything, although I kind of doubt it will do so as it happens whenever KOreader is loaded, and not at any other time.