Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
nb450
nb450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Studying on the go

Hello,

I really like to review my class notes when i'm taking the bus/subway. At first I tried an iPod Touch and it was pretty good (especially with Dropbox for notes syncing on my laptop) but I found the screen a bit too small. I tried the iPad but found it too heavy to hold for reading because of chronic pain.

I am very close to trying out the Archos 5 Internet tablet. I am relatively tech savy and I heard that there are a lot of hacks out there to support more Android apps. Dell Steak looks great but holy $$$...

I would still like to hear any other suggestions though. My main concern is to be able to read ebooks but most importantly .doc files (.jpg scanned stuff wouldn't hurt for handwritten notes). Ideal size between 4.8 - 7, preferably on the lower end.

edit: The Kindle 3 is actually pretty tempting, but is it practical for reading .doc files (can I convert files for free?)

Thank you for any suggestions,
Nicholas

Last edited by nb450; 08-16-2010 at 01:08 AM.
nb450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hn..

If you wouldn't mind converting your notes into .txt format (Kindle can't read .doc natively) you could carry your documents with you. The kindle can view jpg.

You can convert files for free.

Give it a shot, you have thirty days to try it out and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Kindle 3, or Bebook Mini/PocketBook 360, depending on your love/hate for the size of the screen (Kindle 3 is a 6" device, the other two are 5" devices). If you're on the go, PB360 could be a great choice because you don't have to get a cover, which is a must if you use it on a bus or in the subway. So, if you're going to try the Kindle, get a cover with that too
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I use the kindle for my class notes, works brilliantly
Its been the best piece of technology I had purchased for myself so far.

(edit)
I also have vehicle sickness if I try to concentrate on computer screens while travelling normally, but so far kindle has given me no such effect.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, NB. Best wishes. NM
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
You may want to check out Pocketbook 360 for a smaller device. You could use .rtf format or .html (created with KompoZer).

Personally I would stick with your iphone as you have it with you anyways and maybe go for an iphone 4 and unlock it so you can get the files easily to the device.

I use my n900 similarly.... another option is a use a nokia n700/n800/n810 - which has a lot of flexibility as a device and is very cheap from ebay. It gives you the same 480 x 800 resolution and comes with fbreader and a good browser and text editor. It also has ok flash card software.

Last edited by anthony_barker; 08-16-2010 at 10:56 AM.
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I study on the train and bus, but by "study" I mean that I just read stuff. Taking notes, bookmarking, etc. don't, in this context, matter to me.

I convert everything to ePub and use my Kobo. This includes PDF journal articles and my own notes. The conversion process* isn't straightforward or perfect, but it almost always comes out good enough. One reason I'm happy with the Kobo is that it is so small and light that it's very easy to use in this setting.

Oh, and my university library now has a lot of books in a couple of wonky online formats. Although they're designed to prevent downloading, I've figured out dodges to get at least the bits that I need into files that I can convert into ePub.

*usually PDF to ePub via Calibre, or *.doc to *rtf via word and then into ePub via Calibre -- it's fiddly but I've done it enough now that it's usually pretty mechanical
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
nb450
nb450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be considering the Kobo and Kindle. The fact that Kindle 3 will be a new device (coming out pretty soon) and has such a low price sure is interesting. I might also be able to check out the Kobo in person, which is always a plus.
nb450 is offline   Reply With Quote