Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunhaid
in the iliad thread, i upload the english fully version, you can down it and use it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9211
If this is the us.f2.yahoofs.com link, it is broken. It should be possible to attach a .rar file to a message, and upload it directly to mobileread. You may need to break it into 5 MB chunks.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-24-2007 at 12:43 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #32
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

oh, it't my fault.
i upload here

release the pdftojpg program

install:
cp pdftojpg.rar to "C:\Program Files\" and unrar it

execute:
double click C:\Program Files\pdftojpg\bin\test.bat

argument description:
Usage: pdftojpg [options] <PDF-file>
-h : help
-r <int> : rotate 90 or no rotate, default 1
-em <int> : use embedded in font or not,default 0
-fp <int> : PDF first page,default 1
-lp <int> : PDF last page, default max page
-sw <int> : screen width ,default 800 ,
-sh <int> : screen heigth ,default 600

be careful:
you should use -em 1 default. there are bugs in don't use embedded fonts.
Attached Files
File Type: rar pdftojpg.rar (3.05 MB, 1221 views)

Last edited by yunhaid; 01-24-2007 at 01:25 AM.
yunhaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #33
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

Dear yunhaid :I just brought my STAReBOOK but would like to read pdf file. Could you please let me know how to operate your pdftojpg? Best, Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 AM   #34
yunhaid
Enthusiast

the pdftojpg is very easy to use,
cp pdftojpg.rar to "C:\Program Files\" and unrar it
double click C:\Program Files\pdftojpg\bin\test.bat
then should create hello folder, jpgs in it.

you just copy your pdf to C:\Program Files\pdftojpg\bin\
and modify the test.bat ,

pdftojpg hello.pdf changed to

pdftojpg -em 1 your.pdf
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #35
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@yunhaid

There is one problem with your program...it creates very large .jpg files. I tried it and it made files that are 275K each which means that a book with 800 pages would be huge...and that#s what I'm dealing with most of the time.

UPDATE:

I managed to rip a PDF into .jpg files. I then selected a few of them and turned them into a .stk book. Using this method for a whole book is out of the question anyway since even a small book (PDf of 850k) explodes into around 200MB of .jpg files and makes a similarly large .stk book.

But the other problem is that the book looks really bad on the STAReBOOK. Somehow, the device changes the size of the file slightly, probably because it does not display on 100% of the screen-area. This causes artifacts in the .jpg and makes the whole excersise useless.

I guess i'll just have to live with the poor text formatting for nwo and hope for the updated software Staretek promised me.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #36
yunhaid
Enthusiast

oh,you can mail your pdf to me(yunhaid@yahoo.com.cn). i test it
.and i will give answer to you. i will own starebook this weekend,so i can make a full test.

the size can drop to little, 80% quality can drop size to half. for example 275k can drop to 135K. the version 1.3 can do it.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #37
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I've now finished my first book on the device and am well into the second one. I'll make a new post in the next few days and report my findings during the first week and also perhaps give you a first assessment of battery-life.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #38
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit longer for my "week with the STAReBOOK in Review" article since I'm rather busy this weekend and my girlfriend has a birthday on Monday, so I'll probably only be able to give you that article on Tuesday evening.

Just a few tidbits for now:

I have not used my Iliad even once since I received my STAReBOOK (apart from the boot-speed and text-formatting comparisons).
I am almost finished with my second book on the STAReBOOK and just realized how much the on/off procedure the Iliad requires because of it's disastrous power management disrupted my reading habits and slowed my reading pace...more about that next week.
despite it's shortcomings in the text-formatting department and it's relative youth (the STAReBOOK has been on themarket since november if I remember correctly, the Iliad came out in June/July) I find the chinese ebook device a lot more suited for book-replacement than the Iliad. When it comes to educational or infopad solutions, then the Iliad is still your only choice, but for reading, especially reading fiction, there could be a new star rising, especially in those countries where the Sony Reader is not available...of course always depending on how staretek is goung to handle international sales...
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #39
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Just a stupid question. Is it available in black?

The reason being that when you shine light on an eink display you need lots of it just to have a good contrast between text and background. If you do so on a white bezel it will pop out so much as being too distracting and tiring for a long read. Case in point, the picture you put of the Iliad next to the STAReBOOK.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #40
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I think it is available in black, at least it is shown on the website somewhere I think, but so far the white frame has not been a problem for me and i'm almost through with my second book now...:-)
Old 01-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #41
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@kacir

It took me a while, but I went ahead and used one of the "Live Linux DVD" (Knoppix to be precise) and did what you asked.

I copied the relevant bit of information to a textfile and attached it to this post.
I hope it will tell you more than it tells me....:-)

In windows I can access botht he internal memopry and the SD-Card, in Linux it loox like I can get only the SD card to display.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Linux-STAR.txt (737 Bytes, 641 views)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #42
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

look what we have here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/s...k-101-reviewed

My review actually made it on Engadget...!!!

Wow...I always wanted to see my name mentioned there...
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #43
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
look what we have here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/s...k-101-reviewed

My review actually made it on Engadget...!!!

Wow...I always wanted to see my name mentioned there...
Neat. And cool of Branko to inform them of the review
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #44
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
No probs, I thought it deserved a wider audience.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #45
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
"Is it available in black?"

Yup, sure is. When I get less tired and jetlagged I'll try to snap a few pics of one in black for you to see. I thought it looked better in black than the white with the various coloured metal highlight panels. Besides, as with my macbook purchase, they had black in stock, and only a few demo models in white.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote