Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to set up multiple users AND allow them to annotate?

Dear Calibre Server pro's - I would appreciate some help

I would like to run multiple Users on Calibre Server and would like at least one user to be able to store annotations / remarks ... in a costume column...

I went through the preferences (on calibre server) and the calibre documentation, but I couldn't find a solution.

I do have the impression that having multiple users AND storing annotations (For at least one user) is just not implemented / possible?

Please help and enlighten me.

With regards
Henning

my set-up
NAS with calibre (4.6) - Docker
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can assign write permission to as many users as you like. Then all those users can perform any actions that can modify the library including editing metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
how to annotate

Dear Kovid

Thanks for your advice. Calibre is truly wonderful. Great work!

I'm not sure I truly understand your answer.
For example: If we have 3 users A,B and C. Two (A and B) have write permission. If A is changing the ePub (with an annotation) does B and C "see" this annotation? Is the "original" Version of the ePub "gone for ever" or could it be restored?

Second question
To include annotations / highlights the user has to work with the build in ePub editor?

Third Question
Is there an option for mobile devices to annotate / highlight. I tried with Calibre-web. But I wasn't able to find out how to do it.

Forth Question
Do you have a suggestion for a third party (iOS) application, which works best with calibre and is able to sync back information on highlights / annotations? (like kyBook3 maybe)?

Thanks so much for your help!

With regards
Henning
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes if one user edits something in a file the changes will be visible to any other user who subsequently opens the file.

And no currently there is no support for annotations, it is on my TODO list.

I'm afraid I dont use iOS, so cant recomment things there
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, calibre server, multiple users