Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Gerty

Kris, perhaps you can give us, your most loyal fans, some of your philosophy on the dichotomy between Gerty and Marvin. Provide us some clarity on the way forward for all Marvin users.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin will continue being developed, updated and supported. Nothing really changes here. In fact, just yesterday, Marvin got it's iPhone 6/6+ update.

Re Gerty: I like the concept of a reading journal very, very much and use it daily. I also wanted to give the idea of a more causal ebook reader based on vertical scrolling (but still more powerful than others) a shot. Many people find Marvin complex and I wanted to see if I could do better for them.

In a word, it's about choice. I've also made the vast majority Gerty's reading and journalling capabilities free for anyone to use and see if they like it. A single, one time in-app purchase unlocks all the remaining features and helps support the development of Marvin, Gerty and some new apps I have planned for later this year.

People who prefer using Marvin as a reader can use Gerty as a journal only. In fact, Gerty is designed to also let you catalog your paper/eink/magazines/kindle books too to journal against them (it also has a barcode scanner). I'll publish URL schemes soon as well as include Gerty's journaling features as custom commands in Marvin very soon.

I've put Gerty's feature list on appstafarian.com together with a trailer. I also wrote a quick "getting started" guide that addresses many questions people are asking.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
I world like to see the journal feature ported to Marvin, it's a nice idea.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
I world like to see the journal feature ported to Marvin, it's a nice idea.
Please no. It's going at really bloat Marvin with things better left to Gerty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Journaling is going to remain unique to Gerty. There are ways to make Gerty work as Marvin's reading journal (and for any other ebook reading app). I'll write a post about them soon.
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
As I wrote in an email, I like the idea of journaling... At the moment, I use DayOne which is quite buggy sometimes and also limited to one photo per entry... I like the idea of Gerty mixing up both journaling and reading.

I'll give Gerty a try but I am still looking for the "perfect" journaling app... ;-)

Thanks anyway for the all the good work !
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
kguil
Addict

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it (keep in mind that Gerty is not meant to be a general purpose journalling app, it's a reading journal).