Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
My first quiz / flashcard ebook

Hi,

Using the kobo footnote / endnote preview, I created a quiz ebook: click on the mark to view the answer.

Can you tell me how it works on your version (device type and device firmware version).

Thanks for your help.

François
Attached Files
File Type: epub quizv7.kepub.epub (46.0 KB, 483 views)
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
That's pretty cool, I didn't know that could be done. I downloaded the file to my PC (Windows 7) and then loaded the file on my Kobo Glo (version 2.4.0) via USB. When I unplugged from my PC, the quiz ebook was on my front page, with the generic cover. It opened properly and ran smoothly, and the internal links worked well. For the first question, both answer options brought up their respective entries. For the detailed answer, the links to the Internet opened the browser, but just to the homepage, not to any link or anything. Second question also worked well. Third question, clicking the gap brought up the answer quickly and smoothly.
All in all I am quite impressed. Page turns were fluid, formatting was good and consistent throughout. Only thing more that I'd like to see is the Internet links going directly to Wikipedia or suchlike.
Thanks for posting this, I like teaching my gadgets new tricks. (Or maybe it's the other way around lol)
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I just tried it in the Kobo app on iOS, specifically version 5.11, on iPad mini iOS 6.1.3 and iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.4

It does not seem to function correctly. I'm guessing the multi-choice answers should have some kind of checkmark or other functionality?

Some of the links seem to work correctly, others do not.

I'm unsure wether this should / could work in the iOS app. Happy to test any updated version or provide more info if it's required
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Hi Pete731

Thanks a lot for your testing and feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Hi Sharkus,

The file uses the ".kepub.epub" name, which triggers the adobe engine on a regular Kobo. Therefore I guess it is normal it didn't your computer. Thank you a lot for giving me the feedback though. It is very kind of you.

François
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
fxp33
Addict

Hi,

Here is an updated version of the quiz with the answers also visible with mouse over. It works on calibre viewer.
Of course, it still works the same way as before in kobo (via a click to popup the preview).

Hoping to have your feedback.

François
Attached Files
File Type: epub quizv8.kepub.epub (46.1 KB, 342 views)
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Hi Pete731

Thanks a lot for your testing and feedback. I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

Hi Sharkus,

The file uses the ".kepub.epub" name, which triggers the adobe engine on a regular Kobo. Therefore I guess it is normal it didn't your computer. Thank you a lot for giving me the feedback though. It is very kind of you.

François
Actually it triggers the ACCESS not Adobe engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Hi,
I test your nice epub file on my Kobo Glo (v 2.5.1) and it works fine except 1 thing: the link from the popup to "display more" is not working ... For the hyperlink in 'Pinocchio' detail page, I guess that you should at least put some text to make it clickable.

Fred
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Ah, well iOS doesn't have ACCESS, just our renderers (three of them) and Adobe. The original file opened in our render (reflowable epub to be specific) rather than Adobe renderer (easy, well, for me at least, to tell which is which).
I'll try the updated version later to provide results
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
fxp33
Addict

Hi Sharkus,

Thanks again for your feedback. If there is a way to trigger the adobe renderer on IOS, please let me know, I'll make a special version.

Have a nice day.

François
Old 05-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hi,

Using the kobo footnote / endnote preview, I created a quiz ebook: click on the mark to view the answer.

Can you tell me how it works on your version (device type and device firmware version).

Thanks for your help.

François
Dear François, looks really nice! I tried it on my Mini, firmware 2.5.1, and I have the following problems:
1. the cover does not show. Maybe there isn't one, but in place of the book on the home menu I just see a blank space
2. for me too the web link do not work, but in the sense that the browser opens on my home page, not even going to Wikipedia.

The rest seems to be working fine!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Dear François, looks really nice! I tried it on my Mini, firmware 2.5.1, and I have the following problems:
1. the cover does not show. Maybe there isn't one, but in place of the book on the home menu I just see a blank space
2. for me too the web link do not work, but in the sense that the browser opens on my home page, not even going to Wikipedia.

The rest seems to be working fine!
Same here - the browser went to the google
search (it's normal 'home page').
I wonder if this (not passing through the url)
might be a bug in the firmware or browser
implementation.

Otherwise it works well - it is very clever in fact.
I may well be using some of your code elsewhere
Well done!
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Otherwise it works well - it is very clever in fact.
Well done!
me too - and karma on its way :-)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
fxp33
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually it triggers the ACCESS not Adobe engine.
Thanks PeterT and Sharkus about correcting me on this. I wonder if this part is also upgraded at each firmware change?

Quote:
My bad. I didn't want calibre to mess around with my code, so I skipped the cover part.

Quote:
I haven't got a clue what the problem is. Have you already tried links in epub? Are they usually working ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis
Glad to see other enthusiasts about using html5 features inside epubs

François
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't got a clue what the problem is. Have you already tried links in epub? Are they usually working ?
I will double check as soon as I can and get back to you - mut dig out a book with hyperlinks first.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks PeterT and Sharkus about correcting me on this. I wonder if this part is also upgraded at each firmware change?
It would depend on if someone fixes a bug in it or extends it. At them moment, Kobo are improving their epub3 support, so it probably is changed in each of the recent firmware versions.
Quote:
My bad. I didn't want calibre to mess around with my code, so I skipped the cover part.
So long as you don't do a conversion, the only parts of the file that calibre will touch are the metadata. It does this as it sends the book to the device to make sure the latest metadata and cover is in the file. But, if the file doesn't have a cover, it won't touch add one. The only changes will be in the OPF file.
Quote:
The link to Paris correctly opened the page in wikipedia for me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote