Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #466
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
MR: We (could) have a button for that.

A button can do anything that an executable running as 'root' can do.
There already is a button for that. See here. Button has the bad habit of requiring jailbreak. There is many that use USE_ALT_FONTS that are not jailbroke and don't plan on doing it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #467
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Update: Baaah, stupid XML. It works just fine when the include is not spread over 3 lines. Otherwise it will look for "\n/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf\n" which of course does not exist. Who writes broken XML code at lab126? Unless they screwed it up on purpose.
So familiar sense of disappointment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf isn't processed, at least at 5.1.0 (include is really defined, but it's value contains newlines at start and end, so defined file isn't found).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #468
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Update: Baaah, stupid XML. It works just fine when the include is not spread over 3 lines. Otherwise it will look for "\n/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf\n" which of course does not exist. Who writes broken XML code at lab126? Unless they screwed it up on purpose.
That's not broken - it's correct XML parsing behavior.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #469
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That's not broken - it's correct XML parsing behavior.
It is broken, since it does not do what the comment before says it would do. Calling it correct syntax and all makes it too easy to not blame lab126 for it. They probably did test the code - and found it to be very safe ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #470
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Ah... sorry. I thought you were complaining about how XML handles whitespace (and understood "who writes broken XML (parsing) code") - Instead you were complaining about "who writes broken XML (instance) code".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #471
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Are both of your uploads "Open Source" or other Copyright free fonts?

Please give a link to where you got the Arial fonts, Copyright free or pull them before a moderator pulls them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #472
levan845
levan845 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Are both of your uploads "Open Source" or other Copyright free fonts?

Please give a link to where you got the Arial fonts, Copyright free or pull them before a moderator pulls them.
I understand.... I have removed the later but the first post i couldn't edit it (???)

by the way, isn't verdana "the same" as arial?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=168

^
levan845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #473
levan845
levan845 began at the beginning.

Sorry for those 2 posts. I tried to edit them and pull down those uploads but I couldn't find the edit button. Moderator please help me delete them... : ( [DONE]

this is Liberation Sans, a "free software metric-compatible fonts used as free Arial alternatives or used for Arial font substitution"

Licensing:LiberationFontLicense:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licen...ionFontLicense

I downloaded it here:
http://www.fontspace.com/red-hat-inc/liberation-sans

And I have made it a bit thicker, so it's easier to read on kindle, but not as thick as the Kindle Touch's 5.3.2.1's default Sans Serif font Helvetica (which looks almost like Arial and Liberation Sans, too, but Kindle has it too thick imo, so it bugs me sometimes...)

Please tell me if I need to remove it due to any reason...
Attached Files
File Type: rar Liberation Sans.rar (235.6 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-30-2013 at 12:03 PM.
levan845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #474
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbebothered View Post
Arial font for kindle attached. Just copy it to mnt/us/fonthack.

Pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_330.png
Views:	405
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	103782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_331.png
Views:	484
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	103783  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #475
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Will I be able to install the font hack on my Kindle Paperwhite with firmware 5.3.4?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #476
fred_be9300
fred_be9300 doesn't litterfred_be9300 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Android apps
Quote:
It then is supposed to read a config file out of /mnt/us. The surprise here is that fc does not actually execute it. What kind of black magic is that? This is what the config file has:
Code:
<include ignore_missing="yes">
/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf
</include>
I am reading this and think - great news - access to fontconfig without jailbreak directly in usb accessible storage. Except it doesn't work.
anyone know if 5.3.4 fixed that? (the ability to use alternate.conf to hide some fonts)
fred_be9300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #477
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've created an empty folder in the root of the Kindle's directory called USE_ALT_FONTS
And another folder named fonts in which I copied and pasted the four ttf files of the font into:

Fontname Bold Italic.ttf
Fontname Bold.ttf
Fontname Italic.ttf
Fontname.ttf

I ejected my Kindle and did a restart. When I tap the "Aa" button I can see the font I installed with a bunch of other fonts

Plus, I can't see the italic/bold/bold italic version of the font.

Edit: I saw this picture online and these are exactly the fonts that automatically appeared on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-paperwhite-custom-fonts.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	104984  

Last edited by Gazella; 04-26-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #478
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that you cannot see the bold/italic font in the font list or that bold/italic are not working in an ebook?

The font list only displays the Fontname once. The code in the ebook determines whether the fontfile used is regular, bold or italic.

The four font files have to be named in a specified way for the Kindle to understand them:

i.e.

Fontname_Regular.ttf
Fontname_Bold.ttf
Fontname_Bold Italic.ttf
Fontname_Italic.ttf

I have used an underscore but I understand you can use a hyphen instead.

I did notice that after I had added my own fonts several other new fonts appeared in the fontlist which I didn't remember seeing previously.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #479
Gazella
Wizard

[Kindle Touch] Font Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Are you saying that you cannot see the bold/italic font in the font list or that bold/italic are not working in an ebook?
That the bold/italic is not working.

Do I need to add hyphens?

Also, some fonts have an ota extension instead of ttf. Can I use them?

Last edited by Gazella; 04-26-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #480
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
That the bold/italic is not working.

Do I need to add hyphens?

Also, some fonts have an ota extension instead of ttf. Can I use them?
The way I understand it is that the Fontname must be separated from the Fontstyle with either a hyphen OR an underscore.

Try the underscore first. I have underscores and my fonts that I added to my Kindle are working correctly.

Regarding the .ota fonts. I believe these are fonts designed for the Blackberry so they are unlikely to work. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me will comment.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks