Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #106
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet_lee View Post
1. How do I know, at any given point, that the JB Hotfix is actually installed and working? The installation did seem to go through, but you never know...

2. What is generally considered the current "best" firmware for installing in a hotfixed jailbroken PW4? I know >=5.12 is evil, but is it worth it to get something between 5.10.1.3 and 5.12 or should I keep at the jailbreakable 5.10.1.3 for safety? Any noteworthy new official features? Performance and battery improvements or otherwise?
1. If you were able to use ;log mrpi to install KUAL, etc, then hotfix is installed as that's part of the hotfix package.

2. There's a new Read/Unread filter in 5.11, iirc.
Note: If you strip KFX DRM from the books on your Kindle, firmware newer than 5.10.1.3 use a new KFX DRM that hasn't been circumvented yet. Using Kindle for PC < 1.25 still works for KFX, though. Download and transfer via USB is still AZW3 so that still works as well.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #107
violet_lee
violet_lee began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
2. There's a new Read/Unread filter in 5.11, iirc.
Note: If you strip KFX DRM from the books on your Kindle, firmware newer than 5.10.1.3 use a new KFX DRM that hasn't been circumvented yet. Using Kindle for PC < 1.25 still works for KFX, though. Download and transfer via USB is still AZW3 so that still works as well.

Thanks! Regarding DRM, I personally don't deDRM, but I always try to backup DRM purchased content locally and keep a deDRM solution on the ready as a failsafe just in case companies at some point decide I can't access content I've purchased for whatever reason. Call me paranoid. lol

For that reason and the fact I couldn't care less about the read/unread filter, I've decided I'll stay 5.10.1.3 for the time being.

JB was absolutely worth it just for the ScreenSaver Hack. So glad I'll never have to look at the weird stock screensavers.

Just wanted to thank you guys so much for all the instructions! This community is awesome.
violet_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #108
Uphantom89
Enthusiast
Uphantom89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Please kindly take a look at shipped 5.10.3 Kindle ppw4 which was sold on Prime day.
Thank you very much in advance
Uphantom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #109
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uphantom89 View Post
Please kindly take a look at shipped 5.10.3 Kindle ppw4 which was sold on Prime day.
Thank you very much in advance
We already have factory firmware for 5.10.3. Unfortunately, Amazon already patched the vulnerability that allowed us to jailbreak (both ;installHtml and ;merchant). As of now, a new JB method still hasn't been discovered.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #110
Uphantom89
Enthusiast
Uphantom89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
We already have factory firmware for 5.10.3. Unfortunately, Amazon already patched the vulnerability that allowed us to jailbreak (both ;installHtml and ;merchant). As of now, a new JB method still hasn't been discovered.
Poor me. Anyway, thank you very much.
Uphantom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #111
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Has there been any success reported yet via serial port? Perhaps that will be found sooner than a software vulnerability.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #112
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Has there been any success reported yet via serial port? Perhaps that will be found sooner than a software vulnerability.

Dave
We may have to send a few more 50 pound bags of Rice to our contact(s) at the factory.

Last edited by knc1; 08-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #113
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I see that Kindle Oasis 2 is stuck at 5.9.0.6 for the JB stock firmware.
I just bought a brand new one 5.10.1.1 so I'm probably out of luck even if the PW4 can go up to 5.10.1.3
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #114
LarrxX
LarrxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019 (KT4)
I got myself a fresh KT4 running FW 5.11.0, jailbroke it, installed the hotfix and screensavers hack. Everything went fine.

But it updated itself into 5.12.1 and the jailbreak didn't survive the update (as it should have according to what I understand of the hotfix, maybe?).

Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to get my sweet screensavers hack back up and running again?

Thanks

Last edited by LarrxX; 08-19-2019 at 02:33 PM.
LarrxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #115
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
ONLY the jailbreak survives an Amazon update.
ALL (just to be on the safe side) add-ins must be re-installed
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #116
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@LarrxX: Reading stuff 'til the very end helps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As mentioned earlier, of FW update will basically throw you back to the post-hotfix step: you'll basically have to reinstall anything that came bundled in a .bin, except for the hotfix/bridge itself.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #117
LarrxX
LarrxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019 (KT4)
Always with the lightning fast responses, you guys are awesome!

Guess I should have RTFM, sorry to have bothered you... I'll now go flog myself with my Kindle's USB cable in penitence while I reinstall everything...
LarrxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #118
Himbeer
eBook unreader
Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.Himbeer is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle Basic (8th Gen, 2016, KT3)
Quote:
Isn't the webkit version the beta browser uses ancient? Are there no holes in there that could be used for a jailbreak?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Himbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #119
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimbeersaftLP View Post
Isn't the webkit version the beta browser uses ancient? Are there no holes in there that could be used for a jailbreak?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
I think the last browser-based jailbreak was on firmware 5.6.5.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #120
kapas
kapas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Gen KT4
Hello.
My Kindle is a 10th gen ( KT4 ) and with the firmware 5.12.1 (3552150044) is it possible to jailbreak it?
kapas is offline   Reply With Quote