Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Only used ones. The advantage of the Sony would be that you could read ePub library books without converting them.

then i will prefer kindle at least new one...

i can remove drm and convert without problem using my current work-flow.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Great decision. It means you will no longer be "locked-in" to any one "ecosystem". It also gives you some measure of protection from what may happen with any one vendor. At least the books you have bought are on your own hardware unencumbered. Like Zod I regard working with Calibre and Apprentice Alf as not only trivial but necessary. However, there are many people who are very happy being locked-in to one Vendor and don't want to do anything more than one-click at Amazon and open their ereader.
Yeah, those Kindle Manga models for $90 on Woot were tempting me to try a Kindle. But even if I bought one, I'd still download all my Kindle books and strip the DRM. I am a rereader and like having easy, guaranteed* access to all the books I bought.

*as guaranteed as an electronic file can be, anyway.

Quote:
One practical tip. Most books delivered to the Voyage by Amazon are now in kfx format. Calibre only works well with KF8 files, which usually have .azw3 file extensions. The easiest way to get a kf8 format in your circumstances is to go to content and devices on Amazon and download the book concerned for transfer via usb. Of course, many if not all of the ebooks you have may well be kf8. Just look for the .azw3 extension.
Yeah, I use an older version of Kindle For PC to download my books. I use 1.17 (available here for PC) First thing, make sure to go to Tools > Options and turn off automatic updates!

Kindle for PC lets me right click on the cover and select download. I can download books as fast as I can click them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, those Kindle Manga models for $90 on Woot were tempting me to try a Kindle. But even if I bought one, I'd still download all my Kindle books and strip the DRM. I am a rereader and like having easy, guaranteed* access to all the books I bought.
I don't really feel right about stripping DRM from library books. I did do it one time because a Dean Koontz' book was so terribly typeset that I didn't want to read it with all the spaces between dialog (why do they do that?). I made sure I was done reading it before it was due and deleted it before that date.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
One practical tip. Most books delivered to the Voyage by Amazon are now in kfx format. Calibre only works well with KF8 files, which usually have .azw3 file extensions. The easiest way to get a kf8 format in your circumstances is to go to content and devices on Amazon and download the book concerned for transfer via usb. Of course, many if not all of the ebooks you have may well be kf8. Just look for the .azw3 extension.
thank you, that is a great tip
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
i choose to be lock in with kindle as kindle free dictionary are unbeatable by others.
I am curious why a dictionary is so important to you? I doubt I would use it once every 2 or 3 books?
I think to me the Kobo beta web browser would be better for me to check something I am reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have Kindles and Kobos (and Nooks). I prefer Kindles but I find it very handy to have both Kindles and Kobos. Barry
So the question is why you prefer the kindle? I love my kindle, but I have only ever had kindles. They gave me back the ability to read, so I will always love them.
I have to say my biggest bug for a kindle is the inability to increase the font on the home page or folders. I view them as details, not book covers and find the font way too small for me.
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #21
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am curious why a dictionary is so important to you? I doubt I would use it once every 2 or 3 books?
I think to me the Kobo beta web browser would be better for me to check something I am reading.

So the question is why you prefer the kindle? I love my kindle, but I have only ever had kindles. They gave me back the ability to read, so I will always love them.
I have to say my biggest bug for a kindle is the inability to increase the font on the home page or folders. I view them as details, not book covers and find the font way too small for me.

no one know when i need the dictionary, it is advantage to have it.

i prefer kindle over other too.

furthermore it has other language dictionary too.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #22
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
The dictionary is useful if you’re studying. In academic books you may come across difficult words which you frequently can not guess by the context.

I’ve found that ereaders excel in this regard. It’s convenient, a lot lighter than carrying one.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
It's obvious that English is not Steven's first language. When reading in a foreign language, a dictionary is extremely important!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't really feel right about stripping DRM from library books. I did do it one time because a Dean Koontz' book was so terribly typeset that I didn't want to read it with all the spaces between dialog (why do they do that?). I made sure I was done reading it before it was due and deleted it before that date.
I don't read library books. If I did, I wouldn't yank the DRM from them unless they were badly formatted.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The fact that this happened once doesn't mean that your Voyage is necessarily on a downslide. This happened with my Mom's paperwhite a couple of years ago and the problem never occurred again.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #26
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's obvious that English is not Steven's first language. When reading in a foreign language, a dictionary is extremely important!
English is my first language but there still words that are new to me.

it always good to have good e-dictionary with you.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
applesauce
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The fact that this happened once doesn't mean that your Voyage is necessarily on a downslide. This happened with my Mom's paperwhite a couple of years ago and the problem never occurred again.
thank you, puts my mind at rest
Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Note, given the lack of audiobook support, it really is mostly suitable for just manga. It kinda chokes if you put 32GB worth of regular ebooks (tens of thousands?) in there.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I don't read library books. If I did, I wouldn't yank the DRM from them unless they were badly formatted.
I've only done it the one time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I've only done it the one time.
I didn't mean to imply any judgement