Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
Jesver
Jesver began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle, Nook, kobo
Epub License embed

Hi All,

I have completed one epub with font embed. Is there any provision to give the font licence in epub/opf/etc.
Jesver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never seen any ePub with embedded fonts provide a license in the ePub.

Check the license for the fonts you want to embed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have never seen any ePub with embedded fonts provide a license in the ePub.

Check the license for the fonts you want to embed.
Sometimes the embedded fonts can cause the eBook to have DRM applied. This would be in support of a license.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sometimes the embedded fonts can cause the eBook to have DRM applied. This would be in support of a license.

Dale
Please explain. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Please explain. Thanks.
I thought it was clear. If you purchase a license to include embedded fonts in the book you are writing then it is common for the book to use DRM to protect the book and thereby the fonts from being stolen. This can be in addition to the normal obfuscation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I thought it was clear. If you purchase a license to include embedded fonts in the book you are writing then it is common for the book to use DRM to protect the book and thereby the fonts from being stolen. This can be in addition to the normal obfuscation.

Dale
Why not just subset? That protects the fonts better than DRM or obfuscation both we know can be overcome.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
There's a fair deal of Readers out there that won't support font encryption (as specified by IDPF or otherwise) or obfuscation.

I personally don't understand the value of buying a license for a specific font in your standard re-flowable book. Most users want/will change the reading settings to suit their own needs. I understand use in specific cases, but seems to cause more headaches than their worth (just find an open-source font that works?)

Back to the OP's question - what's the purpose of the license? If you want to include it to to show it the end user to make them aware of the license, you'll need to add it as a Content Document like anything else you want rendered to the end user. If you just want to add it as a file in your Font directory, can't you add it to the Manifest of the OPF as being in the EPUB, but just not reference it anywhere else?
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #8
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
I’ve included the font’s License.txt in the Misc folder (following Sigil’s convention; if you’re using another tool you might keep it in the Fonts directory). Excerpt from content.opf:
Code:
  <manifest>
…
    <item id="RM-Ginger.ttf" href="Fonts/RM-Ginger.ttf" media-type="application/vnd.ms-opentype"/>
    <item id="RM-Ginger-License.txt" href="Misc/RM-Ginger-License.txt" media-type="text/plain"/>
    <item id="RM-Ginger-Readme.txt" href="Misc/RM-Ginger-Readme.txt" media-type="text/plain"/>
…
  </manifest>
The Readme and License files are not in the <spine> at all, and are not linked to in the book, but if someone unzips the EPUB file to get at the font, my responsibilities under the redistribution license are satisfied.

If you want to (or if the font’s license requires you to) do more, you might include a colophon somewhere, perhaps something like—

Chapter headings have been set with Super Cool Font, <url here>, © 2010 Ty Pographer. For license terms click here.

—with “here” being a link to that information, formatted as you will.

(In my particular case, I’ve included similar language but without linking to the license terms.)
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
I’ve included the font’s License.txt in the Misc folder (following Sigil’s convention; if you’re using another tool you might keep it in the Fonts directory). Excerpt from content.opf:
Code:
  <manifest>
…
    <item id="RM-Ginger.ttf" href="Fonts/RM-Ginger.ttf" media-type="application/vnd.ms-opentype"/>
    <item id="RM-Ginger-License.txt" href="Misc/RM-Ginger-License.txt" media-type="text/plain"/>
    <item id="RM-Ginger-Readme.txt" href="Misc/RM-Ginger-Readme.txt" media-type="text/plain"/>
…
  </manifest>
The Readme and License files are not in the <spine> at all, and are not linked to in the book, but if someone unzips the EPUB file to get at the font, my responsibilities under the redistribution license are satisfied.

If you want to (or if the font’s license requires you to) do more, you might include a colophon somewhere, perhaps something like—

Chapter headings have been set with Super Cool Font, <url here>, © 2010 Ty Pographer. For license terms click here.

—with “here” being a link to that information, formatted as you will.

(In my particular case, I’ve included similar language but without linking to the license terms.)

Y'know, I did that, with a font that a client just could NOT let go of; he would not accept a "close" substitute, etc. Man, they went apes**t over the colophon, which I put as (traditionally) the very last page. You'd think I'd put in some pamphlet going on and on about fonts in general, or the like. Last time I tried it. Now, I just do what you've done--put a .txt file in the misc, don't list it, etc.

@IronChaim: indeed, many don't support encryption or ofuscation, but they ALL "support" subsetting. Easiest and absolutely effective way to prevent font copyright infringement.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm surprised wedon't get font subsetting even if using Charis SIL just to reduce the size of the eBook. Subsetting works for ePub and KF8. I would thunk it would work for KFX as well.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Y'know, I did that, with a font that a client just could NOT let go of; he would not accept a "close" substitute, etc. Man, they went apes**t over the colophon, which I put as (traditionally) the very last page. You'd think I'd put in some pamphlet going on and on about fonts in general, or the like. Last time I tried it.
My client was much nicer about this, giving credit on the copyright page to her editor, cover artist, cover designer, and typesetter (me—e-book and PDF for dead-tree), so she was entirely willing to allow a small paragraph of credit to the embedded font and its designer.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In this eBook, what is this font going to be used for? I hope chapter titles and maybe the first letter of the first paragraph of a chapter.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
In this eBook, what is this font going to be used for? I hope chapter titles and maybe the first letter of the first paragraph of a chapter.
There are other places specifying a font is reasonable. Mostly brief inline display purposes; e.g. if you want to have a line or two showing computer output or a rusty old sign that use a display font, that's probably acceptable.

She sat down at the computer and stared at a prompt.

INPUT PASSWORD>

She sighed and began entering guesses.

Neil Gaiman’s short story “A Study in Emerald” is a decent example; there are some short (paragraph-or-less) interludes that are meant to be sort of carnival-barker style sales pamphlets, with

EMPHASIS TEXT about the MAGICAL AND WONDROUS THINGS that these SKILLED PLAYERS will be displaying for your JOY and EDIFICATION, only this SUNDAY at the WHITECHAPEL CATHEDRAL!!!

It's meant to be horribly garish, and it's fine IMO to attach an interesting display font to something like that.

The key, though, is to not override the reader's font choice for the main body text or for large sections like an entire prologue or appendix.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
My client was much nicer about this, giving credit on the copyright page to her editor, cover artist, cover designer, and typesetter (me—e-book and PDF for dead-tree), so she was entirely willing to allow a small paragraph of credit to the embedded font and its designer.
Oh, I shouldn't bitch or kvetch. We've had 3700 books though here now, and most of the writers are perfectly happy to put credit where credit is due. Just there are always a few humdingers, y'know?

Quote:
Wolfie, DOWN boy, DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
There are other places specifying a font is reasonable. Mostly brief inline display purposes; e.g. if you want to have a line or two showing computer output or a rusty old sign that use a display font, that's probably acceptable.
ABSolutely. Sometimes, our Resident Curmudgeon forgets that a font is a multi-purpose item. Sure, it conveys text; but it can also convey so much more, at a mere glance.

Quote:
She sat down at the computer and stared at a prompt.

INPUT PASSWORD>

She sighed and began entering guesses.
Yup, just like that. Even if someone were skimming, the purpose of the Courier new would be obvious...not only in context, but in flavor, feel, and so much more.

Quote:
Neil Gaiman’s short story “A Study in Emerald” is a decent example; there are some short (paragraph-or-less) interludes that are meant to be sort of carnival-barker style sales pamphlets, with

EMPHASIS TEXT about the MAGICAL AND WONDROUS THINGS that these SKILLED PLAYERS will be displaying for your JOY and EDIFICATION, only this SUNDAY at the WHITECHAPEL CATHEDRAL!!!

It's meant to be horribly garish, and it's fine IMO to attach an interesting display font to something like that.

The key, though, is to not override the reader's font choice for the main body text or for large sections like an entire prologue or appendix.
Yup. Agreed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote